• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs and the 5 languages of love

HiddenAutumn

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm sure most of you are familiar with the 5 languages of love, the concept that we all have a different way through which we feel love from others (i.e. physical touch, words of affirmation, acts of service, presents or spending quality time together). If you've never heard of this I'm sure there's a quiz on-line somewhere. Anyway, my love language is physical touch, with word of affirmation close behind. I was just wondering if there's a similarity among INFJs in regards to their love language.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I am thinking maybe if at least the 5 types are listed .. People will have a point of reference to work with.

The 5 types are:

1- Words of affirmation
2- Quality time
3- Receiving gifts
4- Acts of service
5- Physical touch

HiddenAutumn

MBTI Type
INFJ
Thanks, I did list them, but it's probably clearer numbered like that.

P

Phantonym

Mine is quality time, followed by acts of service, physical touch, words of affirmation and last, but not least, receiving gifts (the last test I took gave me 0% on that :D)

Maybe my 4w5 sp/so has a say in this as well.

Lightyear

Mine are in order of importance:

1. Quality time (especially quality conversation)
2. Physical touch
3. Acts of service
4. Words of affirmation
5. Gifts

I don't really care about gifts at all and about words of affirmation only if they seem genuine.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am pretty sure mine are Physical Touch and Quality Time (I think it's nearly a tie between those two - they're equally important to me). Those are both immensely important to me in terms of feeling secure and solid in the relationship and in my feeling important/valued/desired in my sig. others' life. With the presence of those two I don't need the Words of Affirmation so much - it's like the Words of Affirmation become implied. Actually now that I think of it Acts of Service might come 3rd, with words 4th. Gifts are last.

All of this can be summed up as -- Actions/Behaviors (extensions of self) speak much louder to me than words/objects.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Mine are:
Physical Touch
Words of Affirmation
Quality Time
Acts of Service
Gift Giving

I'm guessing for INFJs, gift giving will frequently be at the bottom, and touch & time at the top. The only reason words of affirmation is lower than quality time for me is because I'm about 90% I vs E, so very strong introvert, and I require lots of alone time. But yes, I have to feel that the words are sincere - if not, screw 'em! And my one exception for gift giving is flowers.... I always like getting flowers. Anything else, I don't care much about.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1- Quality Time
2- Acts of Service/ Physical Touch
3- Words of Affirmation
4- Gifts

I like gifts on holidays and birthdays, but I don't like it when it's overkill. Quality time and physical touch... yes please! And I like it more when there's action behind the words of affirmation. You can tell me you love me... but show it.

HiddenAutumn

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think you're right Aquarelle99; the strongest pattern seems to be that we don't care about receiving gifts. I mean, I like gifts but they don't really make me feel loved, unless they're homemade, like if someone writes me a poem or sews something for me. Then I'm like, woah, someone actually took the time to make this for me.

Lightyear

I mean, I like gifts but they don't really make me feel loved, unless they're homemade, like if someone writes me a poem or sews something for me. Then I'm like, woah, someone actually took the time to make this for me.

Same here. Cause if someone made a gift for me they actually invested quality time doing so. :)

Virulence

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'd rank mine as

1 - Quality Time
2 - Acts of Service
3 - Physical Touch
4 - Words of affirmation
5 - Receiving gifts

I do really like receiving gifts that are artistically driven - a poem, short story, or picture someone draws for me feels a lot more special than an item I probably don't need that someone buys for me. The intent always means more to me than the gift itself.

Lightyear

I personally believe it has a lot to do with how one was brought up, as well.

I am not sure. My mum's main love language is gifts and I remember always being nonplussed why she had to buy me these expensive things, couldn't she use the money for something more useful? Then I realised after many years that she is trying to express her love to me through these gifts... oh! Also physical touch is my second highest love language but no one in my family was ever particularly into giving hugs etc.

Also which love language are INFJs most likely to use with others?

Mine is words of affirmation, I love to point out positive things about people and to encourage them (might also be an Fe thing). And especially with smaller children physical touch is a big one to express my care.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am not sure. My mum's main love language is gifts and I remember always being nonplussed why she had to buy me these expensive things, couldn't she use the money for something more useful? Then I realised after many years that she is trying to express her love to me through these gifts... oh! Also physical touch is my second highest love language but no one in my family was ever particularly into giving hugs etc.
Similar for me with my father. So, maybe thats part of why gifts is low on both of our lists.

What I meant was that the preference can be related to our first relationships in life, not that they necessarily duplicate them in some linear way. I hope that clarifies it somewhat.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I dunno, I like both giving and receiving gifts. The distinction is that they are reflective of someone knowing who I am or thinking of me, or having taken the time to make the effort. Even little notes here and there or a piece of fruit or candy that I like can mean the world to me. I get a lot of fun out of figuring out the right gift to give someone or surprising them with something unexpected. It took me a long time to realize that that can actually even make some people feel uncomfortable. That is probably one of the things I appreciated most about my ex-boyfriend. He was wonderful at noticing little practical things I needed or that he thought I would like: a flashdrive when they were new, a book or magazine brought back from a trip (we lived in a place where you couldn't get that sort of thing easily), a small food surprise in my mailbox at school, a note on my door saying what the menu for the evening would be so I could look forward to it, a fire extinguisher for the apartment so we were both outfitted, a lanyard so that I wouldn't have trouble locating my keys.

I was going to put acts of service last, but that's not really true either. Many of the people I've dated have done things for me that I either didn't have the know-how to do or disliked doing and I've never forgotten it. My dad primarily shows he cares by doing things for me - things like checking my oil or noticing that my floor mats won't stay flat and replacing them or helping me pack my car or carrying my violin, guitar etc or giving me rides if it makes things more convenient etc. I probably don't remember to do some of those things for others as often, but if I know of something that will make them especially happy, I can't wait to do it for them and surprise them. I remember feeling really badly a couple of times when I arrived early from the holidays and took time to air out my boyfriend's apartment (which was next door to mine), put nice placemats on the table when he hadn't owned any and wanted some, cleaned the bathroom, vacuumed, replenished the water jugs for drinking water and put milk and a couple of nice surprises in the fridge because I thought it would be pleasant not to have to do those things right after coming back and I knew that it generally mattered to him. He walked in and didn't even comment on it, even though he had noticed those things had been done. I think it made him feel like I expected the same, which I did not.

Quality time matters a lot to me and so does physical touch, so I suppose those would be towards the top of the list. I like knowing that someone wants to spend time with me and that they also like the comfort and communication of being near me.

I think I need words of affirmation too though and give them quite freely if I feel they are true. If somebody doesn't say anything affirming, I tend to wonder if there is anything they appreciate about me and why they are even there if they don't. It makes me feel both uncertain or resentful.

Is it selfish to say I want it all?

HiddenAutumn

MBTI Type
INFJ
Actually Fidelia, it's great that you want it all. It means no matter how someone expresses love to you you will feel it and accept it.