• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and stress...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In continuation of the "SJs and stress" thread, I've decided to inquire about NFs and stress.

My questions:
  • What kind of behaviors do you exhibit when stressed?
  • How is your normal mode of thinking altered when stressed?
  • How do you deal with stress?
  • What kinds of things stress you out?

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What kind of behaviors do you exhibit when stressed?
I become more withdrawn, i also get moody and become extra sensitive.

How is your normal mode of thinking altered when stressed?
Not good. I get really confused when i'm stressed, and i really go into what i think is a "thinking mode", but really i just get more irrational than ever and say things that don't make a lot of sense.

How do you deal with stress?
it depends on how stressed i actually am, but unfortunately i usually eat or cry, and then i go somewhere to be alone and lay there and look up at the ceiling trying not to think of anything.

What kinds of things stress you out?
bills,bills,not having enough money to pay bills,when anything bad happens that i don't expect(like my car breaking down or something), trying to do too much,meeting deadlines, being late for something.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
* What kind of behaviors do you exhibit when stressed?

I tend to pretty much shut down and remove myself from whatever the stressful situation is. I don't deal with conflict well, so if I am unable to remove myself from what is causing me stress, I do tend to lash out irrationally. I can't argue or present anger in any type of constructive way, so it is usually better that I am able to blow off steam in private.

* How is your normal mode of thinking altered when stressed?

I tend to be extremely laid back, and it takes quite a bit to rile me up, but when I cross the line, my brain doesn't process information the same way. I find the source of my stress, or at least what I think is the source of my stress, and I attack it (again, irrationally). Fortunately I know this about myself, and I can usually run and hide before it happens.

* How do you deal with stress?

I am absolutely horrible at dealing with stress. I bottle things up to such an extent, and I have gotten so good at doing it that most of the time I don't even know it's there. Then it becomes this situation like a live hand grenade has been dropped on the floor in front of me, and is rolling all over the floor; hoping that I can pick it up and throw it away before it causes any real damage (which it sometimes does).

* What kinds of things stress you out?

Most of life's daily stresses are never really enough to get me going. Traffic tickets, credit card bills, unforeseen expenses that would normally freak people the hell out never really bother me. My true stress, I think, comes from people not living up to the expectations that I put on them (again, my own fault I am sure). I definitely expect a hell of a lot more from the people close to me than I really should, and it isn't fair to them and only ends up aggravating me further. Those are the things that build up with me over time, but I think I am at least starting to be aware of them.

Sorry for the thesis. :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My questions:
[*]What kind of behaviors do you exhibit when stressed?
[*]How is your normal mode of thinking altered when stressed?
[*]How do you deal with stress?

From another thread on this forum:
I become incredibly analytical, and get 'stuck' in my brain, trying to 'fix' what is making me stressed, which usually entails me trying to 'fix' something I think I'm doing wrong, because I tend to think it's always my fault and only later will realize the other person might have played a role too. I become *really* judgmental, and see the negatives in everyone and everything, and nearly everything about people irritates me. I'm aware that I'm this way, and I then withdraw and don't talk as much to people, and tend to avoid conversation and stick to myself...mostly because I don't want to talk to anyone. I become antisocial. I also beat myself up about all of this, which exacerbates the stress. At home, I'll latch onto details and might nag more than usual, because I'm irritable and I don't like the cat litter flecks on the entry hall carpet. And I'm annoyed that I'm being so petty, which further stresses me out. By this point I can't stand being in my brain, so I then try to divert myself by forcing myself out to a gym or something, or I watch tv, or I try to distract myself by playing a game or something. Temporary fix. I'm also feeling physically ill by this point, and just want to lie down, so forcing myself out and about takes a lot of willpower, because I don't feel well and have a tension headache. ;-) I tend to lose my appetite. Eventually it works itself out -- I usually end up exhausting myself mentally/emotionally, and after sleeping poorly for several nights (if I'm really worked up about something, that is! Otherwise I might calm myself down in a day or so), my body will be exhausted, whereupon my mind will shut off, I'll stop doing the analytical stuff, and it'll be over.

To a certain extent I tailor my life so as to keep things as stress-free as possible. I suppose I tend to do the preventative thing...so as to keep myself from ever getting into major stressout mode.

The above description is the cycle of a more major stressout session. If it's just moderate stress, it would dissipate within the same day, and I'd get it under control. It's major stress that blows up and goes over several days. Thankfully that doesn't happen too often.

[*]What kinds of things stress you out?

Interpersonal conflict, misunderstandings, or self-analysis stuff/digging too deep into 'why' I might do things and behave certain ways. All of those can stress me out.

Not having a grand plan in life can cause me stress. But not knowing my 'next step' in life is more of a low-level background stress/unknown that usually doesn't bother me, but every now and then flares up and causes greater stress.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Stressed....

Behaviour: Talk too fast, too much abrupt movements, if given room will pace back and forth. If I'm stuck in it for too long, I start to shake visibly... mostly my hands.

Thinking: Speech can tend towards being not cohesive as Ni tries to run away from everything. Ti might not be able to keep up and I get too many ideas bouncing back and forth in my mind. I am highly indecisive under stress. Have a tendency to over-complexify everything.

Dealing with stress: Deal with it? I usually just ride it out. Sometimes talking to people can calm me down... or actively try to reduce it, telling myself too much stress is unproductive, taking/distracting my mind off the problem.

Stressors: Situations that might reflect badly on me. Forced to do something, make a decision when I'm not ready. Lost of self identity.

redacted

[*]What kind of behaviors do you exhibit when stressed?

withdraw. change the focus to other people -- spend hours and hours helping them with their problems. smoke a shit-ton of weed (except i can't now that i've quit)

[*]How is your normal mode of thinking altered when stressed?

i get into this defeatist mindset about how there's no free will. but otherwise, i'd say my level of intellectual activity probably rises, since i'm trying to distract myself from what's really bothering me.

[*]How do you deal with stress?

call my ENFP best friend and rant. she's the best. sometimes i just need to rant to someone who actually understands me. unfortunately, i have no friends in berkeley that do. they can understand the words coming out of my mouth, but they really have no idea what i'm going through. (none of them are NFs somehow)

oh and also, i post here a bunch, play online poker, and watch back to back episodes of family guy and south park.

[*]What kinds of things stress you out?

school and the fact that i suck ass at it. my mom being a crazy ass bitch. my friends all being lame. thinking i'll never find people that understand shit.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I rarely get stressed, which probably seems strange to the people who know me on this forum. But it takes a LOT to get me stressed out...like say, my entire life falling apart.

When I do get stressed, I tend to ignore the problem and focus on the things that make me happy. That's good in some instances, not so good in others.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I get stubborn at least.

What's up - Uber - you starting so many new threads these days? ;)
I like it thought, lots of new threads. :)

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
When I am stressed I tend to get mad and just about anyything will get me pissed off or annoyed. I may also lack logical rreasoning and may become sad after I am pissed off.

crandolph

MBTI Type
INFJ
Stress makes for very visceral and panicky "fight or flight" sensations for me. To push that feeling away I'll go into "fixing" mode, or I will try to escape entirely into sleep (my favorite narcotic) if it's really too much for me to take. I start getting into some crazy all-or-nothing thinking too and some of my "fixing it" solutions in my brain will be extremist like contemplating quitting the job or moving to a new city. I can also become withdrawn and a bit cold, whereas normally I think I'm a pretty warm person.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Below are some ways that INFJ types stress.
One common way to tell that INFJs are feeling stressed is when they limit their options to just one. They might insist there is only one solution to a problem. Others become extremely critical or angry, often blaming people for their troubles. Some INFJs accuse other people of failing to help, while some will make even the simplest task unnecessarily complex. There can be paradoxical behavior: some INFJs might extravert a great deal, saying harsh things with little regard for the feelings of others. In contrast, some INFJs can become rather introspective and shut themselves off from the world or outside help. Still other INFJs set unrealistic goals for themselves, which just makes matters worse. Finally, some INFJs might eat or drink too much.

What are possible stressors for INFJs? Well, being forced to learn or retain vast amounts of detailed information can often have that affect. Being around too many people, particularly those whom the INFJ considers shallow can be stressful. If the INFJ feels like he or she is under great critical scrutiny, they can feel overwhelmed. Finally, if people are underappreciated or emotional charged conflict is not resolved, INFJs can feel stressed.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
In continuation of the "SJs and stress" thread, I've decided to inquire about NFs and stress.

My questions:

Well, in general I believe all types tend to express their inferior function when ill or under stress; according to the books I've read on type (e.g., "In the Grip" http://mbtithoughts.wordpress.com/2007/11/21/type-and-stress/).

So I would guess that by NF type:

- ENFPs will express iS,
- ENFJs will express iT,
- INFPs will express eT, and
- INFJs will express eS . . . under stress.

I can only speak for myself and my husband, but this appears correct. When I'm sick/stressed things or behaviors in my external environment (esp. noise) can really start to bug me and I become angrily vocal about expressing my displeasure. In short, I become a raging bitch if I go too long without sleep, solitude, or 'me' time.

My husband (INFJ) becomes overly self-indulgent, especially with food, sleep and TV.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
One common way to tell that INFJs are feeling stressed is when they limit their options to just one. They might insist there is only one solution to a problem. Others become extremely critical or angry, often blaming people for their troubles. Some INFJs accuse other people of failing to help, while some will make even the simplest task unnecessarily complex. There can be paradoxical behavior: some INFJs might extravert a great deal, saying harsh things with little regard for the feelings of others. In contrast, some INFJs can become rather introspective and shut themselves off from the world or outside help. Still other INFJs set unrealistic goals for themselves, which just makes matters worse. Finally, some INFJs might eat or drink too much.

I don't think that description is very good... The things are so all over the place. It's essentially saying there's nothing in common INFJs do when stressed. :unsure:

- ENFPs will express iS,
- ENFJs will express iT,
Correct in my case too anii... Then there's also something about when stressed, people act like their opposite type... a nonfunctional version of it. Not sure how accurate that is... :unsure:

redacted

Well, in general I believe all types tend to express their inferior function when ill or under stress; according to the books I've read on type (e.g., "In the Grip" http://mbtithoughts.wordpress.com/2007/11/21/type-and-stress/).

- ENFPs will express iS,
- ENFJs will express iT,

I can only speak for myself and my husband, but this appears correct. When I'm sick/stressed things or behaviors in my external environment (esp. noise) can really start to bug me and I become angrily vocal about expressing my displeasure. In short, I become a raging bitch if I go too long without sleep, solitude, or 'me' time.

My husband (INFJ) becomes overly self-indulgent, especially with food, sleep and TV.

when i get stressed i use Ti most.

Atomic Fiend

I always try to hide that I'm stressed, to keep myself from trembling I fold my hands, I try to control my breathing, and usually If I can get away with it, I'll try not to say a word.
    I become highly paranoid, which doesn't improve my state. If someone laughs it at me, if someone whispers they're whispering about me, and if everyone is focused on me.
    I just wait till it ends, or take it home with me to my bed.
Mostly things that I percieve as unfair, or when I believe something bad is coming, but more than anything else I'm stressed out when some poor idiot believes he can get away with trying to take advantage of me in some way. In cases like those I go from stressed to pissed.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I may also lack logical rreasoning and may become sad after I am pissed off.

I do this too. And I almost always regret it later when I've ripped someone a new one in my altered state. Hmmm... I wonder if "The Hulk" is an image of an INFP under stress. Mild-mannered so-and-so becomes a giant green raging beast when pushed too far.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I do not deal with stress well.

I tend to be, and like to be, laid back or positively passionate about life and things.

Stress is a negative, internalized, intense anxiety that tears me apart. To combat it, I tend to zoom out my perspective on whatever situation/circumstance has me stressed out, and I begin to ask myself questions such as, "In the scheme of things, does this really matter? How is this the end of the world..." And invariably I'm left with the answer, no, it doesn't really matter, and no, it's not the end of the world, so there is no justifiable reason to get so worked up about it.

I must say, this method of stress relief works like a charm. ;)

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
What kind of behaviors do you exhibit when stressed?
I become more withdrawn, i also get moody and become extra sensitive.

How is your normal mode of thinking altered when stressed?
Not good. I get really confused when i'm stressed, and i really go into what i think is a "thinking mode", but really i just get more irrational than ever and say things that don't make a lot of sense.

How do you deal with stress?
it depends on how stressed i actually am, but unfortunately i usually eat or cry, and then i go somewhere to be alone and lay there and look up at the ceiling trying not to think of anything.

What kinds of things stress you out?
School. I really don't like school. Its the source of all my stress.

Thanks Scantily Clad for writing my answers (except the last one) :p