• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and poetry...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, it has been discovered that SPs hate poetry (NTs, including myself, have answered to that, too), so I've become inspired to make yet another inquiry for the NFs, which is pretty straightforward.

Do you like poetry?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
:blush: No. I'm a bad NF. I rarely like poetry that is not song lyrics.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually I've never liked poetry. I almost DISlike it...:blush:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now that's what I like to hear from an NF! :D (That's because you have both steered my theory in the way I want it to go!)

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Don't read much poetry. Can't write rhyming poetry for beans. *chagrin*

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
Until 10th grade, I hated poetry. When I took a poetry-writing course in high school, I discovered that I hated it because I didn't understand the grammar of poetry. Since that course, I have written a lot of poetry, mostly traditional types, i.e., sonnets, and I love to read poetry, to the point of memorizing the entire poem "My Last Duchess" by Robert Browning.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I'm neutral towards poetry. I don't dislike it, and I don't love it either. To me it's just another form of expression.

When it comes to reading poetry I either pick it up right away, or I have to re-read it a few times it's all depending on my mood or mental state at the time.

As for writing it, it's rare when I do, but I have in the past.

redacted

sometimes poetry is extremely moving/touching, and i get all girly and shit.

but mostly i just don't read it.

song lyrics get to me, though. a lot.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i like Edgar Allan Poe poetry, but other than that, i don't like poetry at all.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Well I listen to the music I listen to specifically for the lyrics and vocalls, but poetry sucks and I hate haveing to read it.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, very much so. I enjoy both writing it and reading it.

I tend not to like the flowery kind, though.

Poems should contain and convey emotional depth and meaning by way of the poet's economical selection of words.

Less is more.

Bukowski = awesomeness

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
Some of it is good, and some of it is bad.

I enjoy it when I read it, but more often I choose other things to do.

LizMusica

I like poetry but I hardly read it, when I do it is fun to pick it apart. Although, I write potential song lyrics when I am inspired but other then that it isn't very often. Maybe I just haven't found the write stuff to look at that has captured me besides song lyrics.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lyrics are poems.

Lyricists are poets.

I tend to not like music with lyrics in it, either, or at least I don't like music with lyrics that I can understand. That's why I tend to like black metal, because the lyrics seem to become part of the instrumental part. And when you can't understand it, it becomes more abstract. It's more about the emotion of the musical tone, and it paints pictures in the mind.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I can't help listening to the lyrics. The songs I love best have lyrics I can identify with. I love words. I just don't have the patience for written or spoken poetry. With songs, the words have music to add to the emotion and give color. Lacking that, my main feeling about poetry is usually that I wish they would get to the dang point. Spit it out, already!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I'm guessing that the whole purpose of poetry is just to sound pretentious.

LizMusica

to me I always see poetry as different then lyrics...

Maybe it would be better to say I don't pick up a book of poetry and start reading it for pleasure. Instead I examine other lyrics to songs, or by reading a book about writting lyrics so that I can learn. I do stand in awe of what other people can do and I desire to get that musical side of me out. That gives me enjoyment because I know I have the potential to do so as well. It is just that part of me that sparks alot of excitment when I complete it.

Anyways, poetry is great, but difficult to understand sometimes

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
So I'm guessing that the whole purpose of poetry is just to sound pretentious.
Not necessarily. The way the words are used can be an art form that adds a lot of meaning and feeling and, depending on the form of poetry, it can be like writing a puzzle. It's not that I don't appreciate the concept. I do. I just don't enjoy it.