• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and poetry...

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah, that's to be expected at a University with a literary magazine anyone can submit stuff to. ;) Still, I prefer people to just say it. I just think poetry is not for me. My personal opinion would be that, as far as written word goes, poetry is inferior to fiction though I could understand the argument that the two are incomparable. I would prefer to read a 30 page assignment than one poem from class. Maybe my plethora of bad English teachers over the years are to blame!

I'd be willing to give a poem you think is great a shot if anyone is willing. I'm always up for exploration of my opinions. I can promise to sincerely read it and ponder it before making an opinion (and I won't say something obnoxious like: MaN, tH@t P0eM $Ux0r$!)

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I don't like poetry. People assume that because I write stories and music I'll be interested in poetry too. I have written poems before, but not for myself. I felt like I had to in order to satisfy everyone around me. I personally don't get any satisfaction out of them.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How's this?

since feeling is first

since feeling is first
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you;

wholly to be a fool
while Spring is in the world

my blood approves,
and kisses are a far better fate
than wisdom
lady i swear by all flowers. Don't cry
--the best gesture of my brain is less than
your eyelids' flutter which says

we are for eachother: then
laugh, leaning back in my arms
for life's not a paragraph

And death i think is no parenthesis

ee cummings

or how about

Keep me fully glad with nothing. Only take my hand in your hand.
In the gloom of the deepening night take up my heart and play with it as you list. Bind me close to you with nothing.
I will spread myself out at your feet and lie still. Under this clouded sky I will meet silence with silence. I will become one with the night clasping the earth in my breast.
Make my life glad with nothing.
The rains sweep the sky from end to end. Jasmines in the wet untamable wind revel in their own perfume. The cloud-hidden stars thrill in secret. Let me fill to the full my heart with nothing but my own depth of joy.

By Rabindranath Tagore, 1913

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
I like poetry. I've spent countless hours reading it.

Favorite poets include: Shakespeare, Milton, Elizabeth Barret Browning, Christina Rossetti, Gerard Manley Hopkins, Edgar Allen Poe, ee cummings, Sylvia Plath, Mary Oliver, and Ezra Pound.
There are more I'm not thinking of right now.

I write it sometimes, just for the heck of it and the amusement of myself and a few tolerant friends.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I've written 2 poems. Both of them I like. One could be seen as desperate, the other was lighthearted and cheesy and was written for a friend.

Besides those two and a few poems by Edgar Allen Poe, I don't have much knowledge of poetry. For me its tricky because I don't like to pick apart what I'm reading just to be able to understand it. I'm like wedekit.

Kaz

MBTI Type
ENFP
I like poetry, but I have a hard time understanding the more difficult ones. I like simple poetry with a good flow to it. Mostly humor poetry. I used to write a little of it in my free time in high school (sometimes during classes). I don't know, sometimes I would just find myself overwhelmed with some emotion and without a way to express it at that time. So I just wrote crappy poetry. I'm not crazy about it or anything.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I never really liked reading most poetry, but I'm getting more into it. I always had a thing for the great poets though, and I love the flow of good poetry in general. I don't really like boring flat styles or too many adjectives or long words no one understands, and basically think they destroy a piece. In total I haven't read many poems at all though. I do like Shakespeare, and sometimes laugh at the anal way it is read, and find new more entertaining ways to read it.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nope, don't like reading poetry. Like songs but prefer an evocative melody to good lyrics (although the combo is of course jack-pot)

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
I only think in poetic pose, so I don't need to read others material. I would talk in pure poetry if people would let me get away with it.