• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Do ENFP’s Lead People On? - Active versus Passive Fi

Do ENFP’s Lead People On?

• I think ENFPs often lead people on, but they aren’t usually aware of it.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I think ENFPs often lead people on, and they usually know exactly what they are doing.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • I think ENFPs often lead people on, and I’m unsure if they are aware of this or not.

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I don’t think ENFPs often lead people on.

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

Starry

INTJs seem to be the one type that usually reacts well to this unvarnished output: we INTJs cannot read people, but dang, we sure can read them ENFPs! :devil: We are so happy to be able to understand another human being this clearly, we don't give a crap how messy it all is. In turn, the ENFPs gain a relief from their curse: someone around whom they can say anything without fear.

One of my favorite people in the entire universe is a male INTJ. Honest to god I cannot put into words how comfortable I feel around this person...and because of that how much fun I have with him. But you said it perfect here...and in your entire post uumlau. And now I am in love with you too (I still don't have a lot of control over my self expression yet).

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFP/INTJ interactions:

DONKn.jpg

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
aw, fuck it. it's more like this, isn't it?

S1SAB.jpg

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
aw, fuck it. it's more like this, isn't it?

S1SAB.jpg

I liked the story of your neighbour. I'm always fascinated by the propensity of ENFPs to seek out the observant/isolated people around them. I guess an INTJ is the conundrum of the isolated individual who enjoys it and therefore the ENFP gains some kind of empathic contentment by sharing that in addition to knowing that the INTJ is happy to encourage the ENFPs isolation modes when the ENFP needs to.

We aren't so aggressive just extremely awkward and defensive.

Probably more like:

remiq.net_15825.jpg

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I liked the story of your neighbour. I'm always fascinated by the propensity of ENFPs to seek out the observant/isolated people around them. I guess an INTJ is the conundrum of the isolated individual who enjoys it and therefore the ENFP gains some kind of empathic contentment by sharing that and knowing that their isolation modes are entirely 100% okay and acceptable.

Probably more like:

remiq.net_15825.jpg

Thats hilarious.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
well the problem with that, InvisibleJim, is that we are undeterred by your stoicism.

i have a niece who i'm pretty sure is an ENFP. she wakes people up in the morning by jumping on their bed yelling "CHARGE!", and tackles you into a hug. i love it!

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
well the problem with that, InvisibleJim, is that we are undeterred by your stoicism.

i have a niece who i'm pretty sure is an ENFP. she wakes people up in the morning by jumping on their bed yelling "CHARGE!", and tackles you into a hug. i love it!

I'm entirely familiar with and terrified of such experiences.

how_to_glomp.jpg

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I’d love to hear from ENFPs and non-ENFPs if this rings true for them. Most importantly, if anyone has any tips on how to recognize passive vs. active Fi from the outsider’s point of view, this would be most appreciated. I think it would quell a lot of ENFP/non-ENFP misunderstandings.
Great OP.
No, I still have no real idea how to figure out when you guys are sincere and when you're just playing. The superficial openness is almost always a sham though. The real person is buried layers deep.
One thing I've noticed is that you tend to be less theatrical around people you're really into. I guess you introvert more...?
When just being flirty, Ne comes to the fore.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Apparently I act like an INFJ around guys I actually like. :dry:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm always fascinated by the propensity of ENFPs to seek out the observant/isolated people around them. I guess an INTJ is the conundrum of the isolated individual who enjoys it and therefore the ENFP gains some kind of empathic contentment by sharing that in addition to knowing that the INTJ is happy to encourage the ENFPs isolation modes when the ENFP needs to.

Probably more like:

remiq.net_15825.jpg

bingo.

So you think..

:laugh: well if anyone notices, it'd be an INTJ

So if i just... want the hug its no fun then.. No challenge..

no, that's okay, as long as you don't just start wanting hugs from anyone. that's when it's no fun anymore (and then you have to change your type, cause you certainly aren't INTJ anymore)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"flirting is a promise of sexual intercourse without a guarantee." — Milan Kundera

A promise without a guarantee... yes, that sounds like something an ENFP might say... :)

This is my biggest issue with sexual flirting without intent. To create sexual tension but withhold release is nothing short of cruelty.
I don't understand why supposedly empathic people would be into that. And if they genuinely don't understand what they are doing, then they are not the great empaths that they claim to be....

Starry

A promise without a guarantee... yes, that sounds like something an ENFP might say... :)

This is my biggest issue with sexual flirting without intent. To create sexual tension but withhold release is nothing short of cruelty.
I don't understand why supposedly empathic people would be into that. And if they genuinely don't understand what they are doing, then they are not the great empaths that they claim to be....

It is true that I have never thought about flirting this deeply...

I remember watching a woman flirt with an old bf of mine (while we were together). Of course my first inclination was to hurl something heavy at her...but after watching it for a few minutes...I realized it was harmless. My bf was all freaked out...during the incident and then worse...after he noticed that I had witnessed the whole thing. He nervously said...'that lady was totally flirting with me'...and I replied...'that is a compliment!'

I am not sure if there is some big difference between sexual flirting...and just flirting...but I do think that a lot of flirting is harmless...and it just says...'you're a cutie'.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ i also agree with the sentiment of flirting is "you're a cutie"... more of a suggestion of possibility than a promise, love kundera though i do.

there is a significant difference between connecting with someone on a feeling level and understanding their thoughts towards something. Fi is intrapersonal mastery, but not interpersonal, and flirting is an interpersonal communication. the problem is, it's easy to get a read on another person's mental/emotional state - anxious, happy, joyful, impatient, concerned, yearning, drawing back, protecting, hiding, etc. - but not so easy to get a read on why or towards what. so while an empathic person could see that the other person is feeling desire and pleasure, it's not clear where their reasoning or intent lies. hence many ENFPs echoing the sentiment that we back away when we are unsure - because we may know the feeling, but we don't know what direction the feeling is moving in. heisenberg uncertainty, if you will
:laugh:

anyway, i'm not trying to excuse that behavior, but trying to explain why it's not a cruel move - why someone who is an intrapersonal expert can nevertheless be much less interpersonally aware. as others have said, others often interpret ENFP behavior as sexual communication even when there is no intent on the part of the ENFP. to be honest, if someone asked me instructions on how to flirt, i don't even really know, besides act like i normally do. be interested, be engaged, be caring and aware, touch the other person in a comforting way if they seem to need reassurance. i don't understand the social back-and-forth, really - when to push forward and when to draw back. i always just ask my best friend - who incidentally is a Fe dom. she always knows what to do.

i'm just grabbing two posts from the to ENFP males thread, totally independent of this topic:

Ming said:
I'm naturally happy/flamboyant/smiley ENFP annoying person, but I don't consciously flirt (if I do at all!). I don't think I'll flirt on purpose

Emectar said:
i know what your saying and when i first heard that thing about ENFPs leading people on about a year ago i vehemently denied it too myself. I think the trick is that we dont do it intentionally. The way we act around people naturally is the way most types reserve for those they like.

though it also occurs to me that girls - at least in the US - are more socially expected and conditioned to flirt, so i think all of this holds even more true for men.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i think one of the problems is that ENFP misleading - intentional or not - looks the way people think flirting should look...
whereas, at least for me, when i really like someone, i get all serious and hesitant.

i've decided that anyone interested in an ENFP* (particularly the female varietal) should wait until they get quiet, reflective, deep on them. i suspect that is the moment where we transition from our externalizing behavior to our inner core, and is probably a fairly good time to hit on us. why not be direct with someone already in a vulnerable state?

*MN please take note