• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Do ENFP’s Lead People On? - Active versus Passive Fi

Do ENFP’s Lead People On?

• I think ENFPs often lead people on, but they aren’t usually aware of it.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I think ENFPs often lead people on, and they usually know exactly what they are doing.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • I think ENFPs often lead people on, and I’m unsure if they are aware of this or not.

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I don’t think ENFPs often lead people on.

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
we kissed, but i had no idea how deep his feelings went...my father had just died and i was an emotional mess. i may have been blubbering about my father while working on homework. anyway, after that, he used to drive by my flat, toss pebbles at my window to wake me up and see if i was up for some calculus. i am such an idiot, at the time i thought "my friend who i briefly kissed is obsessed with math!".

Haha you where a big sensotard there. Poor guy..

I find it a bit amazing that you could kiss him and not even consider the fact that that shit usually states something... So yea.you must have been a emowreck..

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, possibly just a very introverted immature IxTx type...most likely an IxTJ or INTP. He was only 23 at the time, I think.

Regarding people i hate or have been hurt by i sometimes try to prove my superiority/morale superiority by say.. Not talk shit about them or doing my duties even when they are not.

If they get fysical i get fysical.. Usually ends up (if its a guy) that i punch him once in the face and i walk away. When i do it i usually never regret it. perhaps right after but not in the long term.. I wish i punched more people in my youth.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
we should start an asperger's appreciation thread. i used to manage a very smart guy who had asperger's. he would tremble when giving his daily status report in front of our team (icky company policy). i thought he was great + defended him like a lioness if anyone criticized him. i felt really protective of him.

I think that's an excellent idea. My niece has asperger's syndrome.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since we are at it.. what are signs on that you have aspergers? im pretty sure i don`t have it but you never know.. after all i don`t know much about it.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
My ENFP friend is a natural flirt. I think sometimes she's aware of it and sometimes she isn't. I remember going to the prom with her and while waiting in line to go on the horse cartridge, she would tell the guard to accompany her to the cartridge and be her boyfriend for that night. She basically spends the time we were in the line trying to convince the man to go with her. My other friends and I were just looking at her in amazement because we were high school students and the guard was in his 40s. She didn't think much of it and told me she was bored and just doing it for fun. Many times I hang out with her, she would be very playful to most of the guys we meet. I usually find the sights amusing.
She told me how many people said that she's flirty, and she would act surprised, saying she's just being herself. :D

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
sometimes i do it intentionally. usually when i want something.
sometimes it's unintentional. usually when i want something.

i dunno. people just like doing stuff for me, and the expectations
they form from doing that stuff is their prerogative. never
guaranteed anything. so i don't see how that's leading on.
but i'm kinda smug like that.

"flirting is a promise of sexual intercourse without a guarantee." — Milan Kundera​

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Obvious flirting in that respect is lying...

Speaking of..

Agentfurria that guy you kissed.. He probably wont help another girl in math again.. hes winy inner voice: "they are just using me"

Kinda like me prinsippialy never buying a drink to a girl unless i want a quick answer to my suspicions. I have made exeptions tho when i meet someone different.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Only if you agree with the quote.

Seems you do..

Seems like i have been a bit hard jugding in this thread.. hmm...

Perhaps im defensive due to previous experiences= Hard jugding

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha you where a big sensotard there. Poor guy..

I find it a bit amazing that you could kiss him and not even consider the fact that that shit usually states something... So yea.you must have been a emowreck..

beware the young ENFP. i found out about several men who claimed (or their friends claimed) they had deep feelings for me in college and i had no idea. i just thought people lost interest and moved on. however, upon recent reflection, i think i was misinterpreting their habit of pulling away to assess as a sudden lack of interest, either in friendship or anything more.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Obvious flirting in that respect is lying...

Speaking of..

Agentfurria that guy you kissed.. He probably wont help another girl in math again.. hes winy inner voice: "they are just using me"

Kinda like me prinsippialy never buying a drink to a girl unless i want a quick answer to my suspicions. I have made exeptions tho when i meet someone different.

i hope he didn't conclude that i was using him. i would prefer the conclusion that i am a flake, or that I was emotionally distraught over the death of my father. but never once has a shy guy been straight with me about his feelings. it would be a huge relief, and i would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss my feelings.

but when you deal with pebble throwers and men who cry as happened to marm, combined with an apparent ENFP cluelessness (at least on my part) and universal friendliness, it seems like misunderstandings are bound to arise. and that is why i think self-knowledge and communication skills probably play such significant roles in bringing people like us together.

my pet theory is that most of these relationships have the potential for great happiness, or great friendship, if only people could say as soon as emotions arise: "I like you. Do you like me?" (Or "It seems that you may like me. Is that true?")

but that's crazy talk.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Only if you agree with the quote.

Seems you do..

Seems like i have been a bit hard jugding in this thread.. hmm...

Perhaps im defensive due to previous experiences= Hard jugding

a little. perhaps not unfairly, just hard.

i think one of the problems is that ENFP misleading - intentional or not - looks the way people think flirting should look...
whereas, at least for me, when i really like someone, i get all serious and hesitant.

and admittedly, Ne-ing includes generating all solutions, including manipulating perspectives (ie lying), to get to the endgoal. and what some people call "lying" is not always... well, it's just that everything is just so subjective and words can mean so many different things. i have a hard time dealing with people who are hardliners about "ALWAYS BE HONEST" because it seems so ridiculously superficial. what is honesty, really? just your own opinion, phrased in your own words. and personally, i almost never intentionally mislead with the intention to harm - but sometimes i manipulate a bit with the intention to get around something that needs getting around for the greater good. i do not think that integrity necessitates precise honesty - but it does necessitate being genuine. i mean, anyone on the forums can see that i am very open, and when i write, it would be harmful to myself, much less others, to lie. it would be an awful world if everyone went around misleading others all the time, but seeing honesty as "healing" is a mistake as well. i have a friend like this. he is a hardliner for honesty but not many people like him because he thinks that honest and good are the same thing. all he ever does is give you his unadulterated and often very judgmental opinion on things. there's a fine line between being intentionally deceptive, and filtering yourself to not hurt others unnecessarily.

agentfurrina said:
however, upon recent reflection, i think i was misinterpreting their habit of pulling away to assess as a sudden lack of interest, either in friendship or anything more.

i think i've done this too. i'm not very confident and i'm bad at reading others in terms of their feelings about me... so when someone stops showing blatant interest, i backpedal very quickly. sadly this has probably killed a couple potentially very good relationships with Ni dom/auxs.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
whereas, at least for me, when i really like someone, i get all serious and hesitant.

yes, same here. i often immeduately move from friendly and exuberant mode to introspective and reflective mode. all in a frantic attempt to get a grip on my emotions.

I think i've done this too. i'm not very confident and i'm bad at reading others in terms of their feelings about me... so when someone stops showing blatant interest, i backpedal very quickly. sadly this has probably killed potential very good relationships with Ni dom/auxs.

same here. i am making a personal commitment to do whatever i can on my part to clear the air and get things out in the open once i sense an interest from someone, or develop an interest in them. i think my comfort with ambiguity and dislike of hurting someone has been a huge part of the problem.

sculpting

I never realized the ENFP leading other people on issue until joining the forum. I realized I have the ability to do this-I just dump happy Fi glow at them....and I found it terrible. It really bugged me because it felt as those I was manipulating them by tapping into something they could not really control. Basically I was taking control of them without their permission by using my Fi to influence their Fi. It bothered me a great deal.

Because so few do see my Fi, to be honest I dont think I have ever led anyone on in these sense you guys describe, but the potential is there.

I'd say the "passive Fi" sounds familiar-that is when I let my Fi remold around the other person and become what they need me to be in that moment.

The Active Fi...hmmmm. I suppose when I feel driven to speak up about an issue bothering me...then it is me using my Fi on those around me-but it REALLY has to be for a good reason...(or at least a silly reason that has my Fi all in a tither)

sculpting

I've never understood this whole ENFP issue and the anger towards it from other types. It bothers me to see the weight of expectation that people often place on ENFPs. To me it seems ENFPs are simply express openly without much thought about how it will be interpreted. Sure, sometimes this can be careless (and maybe even callous at times) but mostly its ingenuous, heartfelt thoughts leaping forth and others somehow making it all about themselves.

I had no idea how much people hate enfps until joining this forum. I always knew I had to hide a significant part of myself and that it would never be okay to be me, but it wasnt until I saw the comments here that I realized how much other types detest us.

ENFPs kinda get stuck in a weird place...Ne forces us out in the world and Fi forces us to be authentic. Te is our only difference but then we are "bossy bitches". The authenticity is the really messed up part-it feels very wrong to wear a mask-yet the world will never accept us unless we wear a mask. :(

i think one of the problems is that ENFP misleading - intentional or not - looks the way people think flirting should look...

agreed.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i hope he didn't conclude that i was using him.

He probably did... at least it would have crossed my mind..
"I like you. Do you like me?" (Or "It seems that you may like me. Is that true?")

but that's crazy talk.

I guess im crazy then.. nothing new :p

"ALWAYS BE HONEST" because it seems so ridiculously superficial. what is honesty, really?

Hehe im working on it.. I just hate lying in your face thats all. Im not trained/made for lying. I ofc see the use of a small one here and there to avoid issues with other types..
What you/i say means so much to me. I made a promise to myself to stop saying i would do things and not do them.. Instead i promise less and try to do more..

I said after studies last year that i wanted to try skydiving. I said it only once or twice to my family, suddenly i had done it and they were all "wow" you did it!
It was a tandem..

Still miss that feeling.

I let go of the "belts" and wanted to go faster.. your not supposed to let go of the "belts"
bobbs.jpg

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Good post indeed, it's the major trouble I have with my girlfriend. It's kinda difficult to explain, I'll try nevertheless:

As a Fe user you are generally uncomfortable with understanding your own emotions or to really think about them. So your focus is more often on other people. My girlfriend, infp on the other hand seems to only talk about her. even when you think this time the discussion is about you and you only, at some point she says how she feels about it and you think to yourself: "oh nice she ignored me again."

I've seen her in combination with her Mum a primary Fe-dom. She appears to be very egoistical then and even has this "grumpy-child-stumbs-on-the-ground" attitude if not everybody at the table is listening to her. Her mum is kinda oblivious to this and needs a long time to get agitated. Most often she tho keeps up the peace at the table and dubs egoistical vibes with humor.

Of course that agitates my gf even more because if she speaks she wants people to listen, cause the things she say are very important to her.

For me it's complicated on a different level. As an introverted thinker you have a constant flux of tetris going on in your mind. I am glad Ti isnt my strong function and I can switch the silly switch from times to let loose of a way to think which can be very straining. The problem is, you dont notice it, you go on at work all day working with your brain and even with simple exercises you think a trillion things thru so you can make the result perfect and leave no questions open. It's a curse and it does make you restless and unhappy, but you dont notice it.

When I talk to my infp after a long day, I start to vent. I basically only crave for some motivation then, like a pat on the back or a hug. She tho does somehow always relate things to herself. Before I really can start venting, we already ended in a discussion about her or us and that is never what I want. So before I get the chance to vent my own anger, I have to see after her and make it clear that I am not unhappy with our life.

You can see this two ways, some people would say Fi-people are the most egoistic clowns on the world, other people would say Fi-people are the most deep people on the world. When I am asked how a gearbox in a car works, I tend to answer there are a lot of things involved you need to understand before you know the place the gearbox has in the whole system 'car'. I demand the big picture. Well the same is it for my girlfriend, she extrapolates my unhappiness and expands it on a personal level, tho I never meant that, not even thought close about it.

She and me are maybe one of the most unfitting pairs on the world but that's exactly why we love each other. We have so much to give each other, it's amazing and a lifetime wont be enough. We argued a lot in the beginning and the last 5 years have been a constant growth for both of us. She made me a man. This thing I described here, she's well aware of by now, but she'll never give it up to think like that. That would be like to ask me to give up breathing aswell, cause our Ne-Fi-Ti combo just works that way.

The thing is many people think they have to educate other people and teach them some sort of social norms so these people can communicate better. But to really understand that when people communicate differently, they have aswell a fundamentally alien world in them, which is so intresting to explore and full of things you would have never noticed or found out without help, those people dont understand that. Those people will forever stay in their boring and fully safely explored own world and they are nothing that intrests me :)

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Communication is everything!

Its mighty important as Agentfurria discovered with that half aspergers guy.

Im going drunk now so hope i did not insult anyone.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had no idea how much people hate enfps until joining this forum.

yes. i picked up on that right away. i take the good and filter out the bad. but then again, i've yet to post a Nohari window. :) i'm already self-critical, i don't need > critique. at least, not yet.

ENFPs kinda get stuck in a weird place...Ne forces us out in the world and Fi forces us to be authentic. Te is our only difference but then we are "bossy bitches". The authenticity is the really messed up part-it feels very wrong to wear a mask-yet the world will never accept us unless we wear a mask. :(

i don't think people realize how sensitive we are, and how little say we have in the matter. and w/r/t acceptance: perhaps that's why i like INTPs/INTJs. we are all poorly-understood rarities. although i suspect we ENFPs are deeply unhappy about this, whereas those types *seem* to somehow accept it more. i also don't think they bother with the mask, unless it's the death-stare variety. :)

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
She and me are maybe one of the most unfitting pairs on the world but that's exactly why we love each other. We have so much to give each other, it's amazing and a lifetime wont be enough. We argued a lot in the beginning and the last 5 years have been a constant growth for both of us. She made me a man.

lovely. congratulations, there is hope.