• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs: Do you find working with people draining?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I enjoy one-on-one occasionally, but it would be draining if it were consistent (say, more than 20 hours a week or so). I actually find dealing with several people easier if I don't really have to think about what I'm saying (in other words, just greeting them, saying a few things about work and answering a couple of simple questions, and then just going on my way and starting to work).

I'm beginning to think that I really do work better alone. It makes me think I should look more carefully at dealing with computers again. That does seem like it would be easier to deal with long-term, Even though I technically feel more fulfilled by dealing with people, I really don't think I'd be up to it every day.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I also don't like giving people instructions, and I'd say the thing I hate the most is training other people. I just hate it. And a lot of it is that it is draining...just having to be 'on' the entire time, having to be in presentation mode and answer questions and give direction....ug.

Training sucks. I'd point people out on what they could do and let them do it or not--Their choice. Leading is fine as I've mostly been "put" or just assumed that position or I take it if I think I should. But my leading is what I aforesaid with the groups. Let the individual do their own thing contributing to the group harmonously as they follow my/group vision. I have taken 0% (resentfully) on group projects where people were unreasonable, there was no production/set vision and if the teacher wouldn't allow me a replaced individual one.
Hmmm interesting. I enjoy teaching people one on one. It brings me satisfaction to see the look of understanding on their faces when they finally get it. I suppose small group (under 3) would do as well, but multitasking drains me. I can get confuse... that's not conducive to teaching at all. I have a bad habit of creating the procedure as I go along. Last thing they need is me putting in extra unnecessary steps or mixing one way of doing something in with another. "This is one way of doing something, and here's another way... they both get you similar results because of the following" typically gets me weird looks... :shock: Oh, plus it's fun teaching via concept rather than just teaching them the steps. I suppose I just enjoy confusing people. :devil: But it's worth it in the end... understanding gets you so much further than rote memorization.

I can attest to the group work thing. Although, if I knew (as I'd already observed beforehand in order to know who's preferable) that people in my group were competent, I'd figure out who should do what and "offer" it to people nicely on if they'd want to do it. Then I'd let them work on it and not interfere as I'd be doing my own thing. I'd check in only if I sense people slacking or the 'time' is approaching for deadline. I'd only help those who were deficient in some regard or they asked (which is taxing but I'd do it to help anyway :doh: )
Actually I think INFJs aren't bad in HR or project management either... For HR, if you can handle a little bit more people interactions and for PM, if you can learn to at least keep track of some details... or have somebody to help you with that.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Hmmm interesting. I enjoy teaching people one on one. It brings me satisfaction to see the look of understanding on their faces when they finally get it. I suppose small group (under 3) would do as well, but multitasking drains me. I can get confuse... that's not conducive to teaching at all. I have a bad habit of creating the procedure as I go along. Last thing they need is me putting in extra unnecessary steps or mixing one way of doing something in with another. "This is one way of doing something, and here's another way... they both get you similar results because of the following" typically gets me weird looks... :shock: Oh, plus it's fun teaching via concept rather than just teaching them the steps. I suppose I just enjoy confusing people. :devil: But it's worth it in the end... understanding gets you so much further than rote memorization.

I should have been more clear about training/teaching. It pertains only to school group projects where we're told what to do and are expected to carry it out based on info we should already know. I don't mind helping others if they need help but when it's time for us to get going, I get time-conscious, develop the plan and expected it carried out individually. I thoroughly enjoy teaching people what I personally know/have insight on but when I was speaking of 'training' I was thinking more on technical things (even if I know it's hard teaching others what I know. i.e. math or detailed stuff which I'd forget or be a bit off on if it's not important to me lol). So as for the concepts, yup, that's enjoyable and easy.

Actually I think INFJs aren't bad in HR or project management either... For HR, if you can handle a little bit more people interactions and for PM, if you can learn to at least keep track of some details... or have somebody to help you with that.

I could definitely see that.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm interesting. I enjoy teaching people one on one. It brings me satisfaction to see the look of understanding on their faces when they finally get it.

When I had a short-term job in a national park, part of what I did was lead hikes. Now leading the hikes was way out of my comfort zone, although I guess I was doing ok by the end. But I *loved* just talking with the little kids and teaching them, because it was a subject I was really interested in and they were so eager and enthused and excited to learn, and they'd attach themselves to me and stick pretty close by during the entire hike, while their parents enjoyed the couple of hours to themselves, farther back in the line. I DID love teaching them. :wubbie:

At work, training people on corporate stuff..that's another story.

timeless woods

MBTI Type
INFJ
I guess this really depends on the people.

I have had work environments staffed with very likable folks that also allowed me to shift easily from team to individual tasks. The best environment was staffed with like-minded (mostly quiet) people. They were an exceptional group of kind, funny, respectful and trustworthy co-workers (a no-gossip zone). And yeah, working there was draining at the end of a ten to twelve hour day, but then isn't ten to twelve hours of anything draining?

The job I have now is by far the most draining and demanding- however, it is equally richly rewarding. Wouldn't trade it at all. I get laboriously intense one-on-one time, spiced with a heaping portion of psyche-scraping 'family dynamics' time, finally rounded off with a tall glass of haven time in my car, traveling from patient to patient...playing whatever music feeds me best at the moment...in my own little bubble. :headphne: