• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Way overactive imagination. Type specific?

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have a really, REALLY overactive imagination. I have since I can remember. Of course, with age, i've become a little more sensible and logical.. But not by much.

Example?

I just went through putting on all my warm winter clothes to go down to the mailbox. It's really dark out, and our driveway is quite a walk. I didn't think much of the task, until I actually got outside.

No less than five feet from my house, I realized just how dark it was outside. I also heard A LOT of commotion in the woods (I live in the country, my entire front yard and back yard is woods).

My first thought? ZOMBIES! I froze and listened for a little bit, then decided to just go to the mailbox anyways, no matter how dangerous it might be.

Well, it turns out, I never made it even halfway down the driveway. I freaked out and ran back inside. I do not want to be Zombie food. No way, no how.

SO, I was wondering.. Does your level of imagination have to do with your type? Do ENFPs specifically have wild imaginations, or do quite a few other types? Or maybe, is it person specific? I'm curious!

ilovelurking

MBTI Type
INFJ
Maybe ENFPs have more overactive imaginations due to Ne.

I know I can be that way, just not as often.

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
Maybe ENFPs have more overactive imaginations due to Ne.

I know I can be that way, just not as often.

I actually think that might be entirely why.. Our minds jump around so much, and if we've seen too many horror movies.. We're probably going to think every little scary noise is a Raptor.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say that being an ENFP myself (especially with an imagination as active as mine (cloodcukoolander)) that yes, my imagination is overative primarily due to Ne. I mean there will be times I'm suppose to concentrate on something and I'll just break off into random thought about something, like concuring an enemy of mine in the most diabolic way possible, or being chased and killed by a wild animal, or two legendary warriors slaughtering each other in battle (yeah, overactive would be an understatement for me).

KDude

I haven't thought that way in a long time. I think I've kind of enforced a lot of logic and realism into my psyche because I've been susceptible to suggestion and delusions before. Starting when I was very young.. I remember crying to my mom because I'd start seeing shapes in the woodgrains on the wall. Not just shapes, but figures. Not very nice ones either. I used to find it hard to walk home at nights - not because of zombies - but because of a local Mexican witch tale (there were quite a few Mexican folk tales floating around, always told with an air of gravity by some old woman who was apparently eyewitness to something. It would spook most kids out, I guess). The particular witch I'm referring to is "La Chusa". A woman who could turn into a giant owl. And it didn't help that there were actually hawks and owls around. One night, one got really loud and actually did swoop pretty close above me. My first thought was that it was La Chusa. I hauled ass home, like my life was on the line.

This is unrelated, but there was apparently another (real) woman who was a witch, and my imagination got the best of me, and I vandilized her house. heh.. I feel bad now, she was probably just a normal, single woman.. worked at the mall or something.

N

NPcomplete

I do have an overly-active imagination. Last night, for example, I managed to convince myself that some monsters from a tv show were out to get me and couldn't sleep much as a result. I'm not certain I'm an ENTP but from what I understand about Ne, I run on it on overdrive on most days. My INFP friend has similar things happening to her as well.

rav3n

The over-active imagination isn't type specific. I used to sleep with my blanket over my head even as a teenager. The dark or open closet door used to freak me out badly where I was too scared to get up to close the door.

Scary movies still give me nightmares to the degree that I've stopped watching gory or zombie movies.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The over-active imagination isn't type specific.

Really? So you'd say over-active imagination should be found at around the same levels on average in INFPs and ESTJs alike?

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
hmmm. If you are referring to sex, then, hell yes.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have a crazy hardcore imagination ranging from everything when I was little like fairies, ghosts, poltergeists to more adult bad imagination, having crazy what if negative thoughts about serial killers and getting run over by cars at intersections. I can also live in a more positive fantasy world, to a certain extent, even as an adult. Different time periods, books I read, movies I watch, can really come ALIVE for me.

I also have a strong sexual imagination, etc.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
welcome to the Ne club! :static:

i do think that other types can have equally active imaginations, but i would not be surprised to hear that there is a disproportionate number of Ne doms who feel this way.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
High N vs S use is probably the best predictor of imagination. I have an insanely overactive imagination.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My imagination is just incredibly overwhelming...but I take 'enhancers' and as an animation major it's hard to go far without a heightened sense of creativity. :devil:

It could be type related, but I'm thinking interpreting their own imagination differs between types, or something.

rav3n

Really? So you'd say over-active imagination should be found at around the same levels on average in INFPs and ESTJs alike?
I might owe you an apology aj. If you were seriously asking this question and not teasing me about being an ESTJ, then I should have taken your question seriously.

You have a point. Ne and Ni dom or auxs will probably do the intuitive tripping more than your average sensor.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I might owe you an apology aj. If you were seriously asking this question and not teasing me about being an ESTJ, then I should have taken your question seriously.

You have a point. Ne and Ni dom or auxs will probably do the intuitive tripping more than your average sensor.

I wasn't even teasing you about being an ESTJ, I thought I called you an NF before or just always a crappy entj. Just talking about INFPs vs. ESTJs and imagination. Always has to be about Metaphors huh... I see how it is...

But the larger point is, all types can have overactive imagination, but some are more likely to than others.

rav3n

I wasn't even teasing you about being an ESTJ, I thought I called you an NF before or just always a crappy entj. Just talking about INFPs vs. ESTJs and imagination. Always has to be about Metaphors huh... I see how it is...

But the larger point is, all types can have overactive imagination, but some are more likely to than others.
Then I'm sorry. Wouldn't have been so flippant had I known you were being serious.

Agreed.