• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Way overactive imagination. Type specific?

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I relate to your imaginings :yes:. I think if you shared them more often, you might find they resonate with many people. Like the paranoid parrot, they are funny because so many of us have those feelings. :laugh:

sV97g.jpg

I am lucky to know a very imaginative ENFP, occasionally things can go awry when he starts to believe his own notions must be true since he came up with them. Its still tons of fun to be in the presence of. What is interesting about the type aspect, is I remember a certain forum member here who identified as ENFP starting a thread that was basically about intrusive thoughts. I wonder if that represents any kind of trend.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
This is very phobic e6, and ENFPs are often typed (some people say most commonly typed) as 6w7. If I had to guess, I would attribute it to an underdeveloped Te, to provide a more tough minded counter to Ne, and perhaps weak S that often comes from N-dominance.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Part 1:
i saw a giraffe in the kitchen with it's head trough the ceiling, it had spots on it that weren't really spots, more like small portals to other dimensions, and all of a sudden all of Santa's midgets came out of the giraffe's spots. They were singing a ridiculous song so I told them to fuck off back to their dimension. The midgets told me that they can never go back, as they are always sent to a random location, they said that everybody told them to fuck off, but now they know why everybody was mean with them, not because they are midgets but because of the fucking song. They gave me a tiny midget fluorescent brain, and told me to keep it in my pocket if I want to travel to other dimensions.

Part 2:
While looking at the midget brain I accidentally swallowed it, but went trough the portal anyway. The giraffe spot malfunctioned sending me in a split dimension. I instantly traveled to another planet where everybody looked like Oprah, debating woman things all the time. I was shocked and screamed fuck you midgets and your stupid song, when I looked up, I realized there was no sky, I could see the surface of another planet like 10 meters on top of me, there everybody looked like Kim Kardashian, but I couldn't get there no matter how much I wanted.

Part 3:
I wanted to go home so bad and kick that midget's ass but in order to do that I would have to find a portal back. I kept looking and looking, till I finally saw the midget in a milk commercial. The midget in this dimension was a nazi midget. Major badass. He was still annoying in the milk commercial, he pissed me off so bad , I went to Walmart and bought a nazi midget detector that they were selling at half price, and found one on a 10 square mile radius. I found the midget, and told him politely to go fuck himself to midgetland. He got really pissed and sent me in another random dimension using his nazi midget superpowers.

Since then I have been traveling from one dimension to another. My life has never been the same.

Ne can make up some pretty fucked up stories haha, I wrote a story like this in an exam : ))

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I don't think that overactive imagination is type specific. I, for one, have a very active, not to say hyperactive imagination pretty much all the time. The stories my mind comes up with astonish even me sometimes :)

hmmm. If you are referring to sex, then, hell yes.

My imagination tends to be way overactive in this area, too. Not that I think it'a a bad thing, though :newwink:

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Really? So you'd say over-active imagination should be found at around the same levels on average in INFPs and ESTJs alike?

What do you think everyone is going to say.. when I finally reveal that I am an ESTJ and have been all along, and I have just been using my imagination to see if I can convince people I am an NF?

Or..... what you have is someone with a more fantastical imagination VS someone who has a more practical imagination.

One can write a short story full of dragons and unicorns that travel through a multitude of dimensions stopping the same event from happening on each plane in order to save the entire multiverse from collapsing on itself.

The other figured out a way to get the lid off of jars with so little exertion even a child could do it.

Yet someone else figured how to make a frying pan so eggs wont stick to it.

Someone else figured out how to get 2 people who have been fighting for 2 years, to see each other's point of view and a truce was established.

Someone else figured out how to eat and pay the bills on $700 bucks a month.

Humans are inventive , full of ingenuity and are awesome problem solvers .. and That goes right across the board.. regardless of race, gender, age, education, location and most certainly MBTI type..

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
My INFJ roommate often tells me how she has an overactive imagination. So I love to makeup weird and awkward scenarios involving the guy she likes or tell her tmi stuff. It's for good fun though, she doesn't mind it. :D

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
I treat my imagination like a slave :azdaja: , as I mostly distrust it :) I care about reality a bit too much, in my opinion.

But when I remove that :azdaja: mentality, then it can go wild. But there's always the Te and Se in the background watching the entire spectacle, so that I prevent myself from walking into walls, doors and the like whilst carrying out a simulation of a possible sci-fi future...or seeing the world as if I were somewhere else in the universe. Or possibly seeing the world enclothed in mathematical/chemical language.

KDude

Not meaning to offend anyone, but the more dominant the position various N imaginative thoughts are, the better (same goes for all functions, obviously). It gets unnerving the less adept a person is. Ni actually kind of scares me sometimes in people. Since I just got done posting in the Kill Bill thread, I think I'll reference Pulp Fiction now - I am very much like Travolta's character around Sam Jackson's Ni. I feel like I'm the realist in comparison. All the signs and symbolic speculation and such. I want to run away from that kind of frantic imagination.

This isn't to say all Ni types are like this though. Maybe it's that it's unhealthy in some people and they're actually SPs. Naomi Quenk mentioned this about ESP shadows. Like they get all mystical and paranoid if you lock them inside too much. :p If I hear a stable Ni dom, then I don't feel like running away.

As for Ne, my dad is ESTJ, I think. He has a certain way he wants things to be done, but when he's unfamiliar with a situation or things fall apart, his imagination is whack. He comes up with annoying reasons why things are happening. I have to help him get on track and kind of produce a more plausible possibility for him.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
How do we quantify imagination?

Your imagination will appear overactive only compared to someone else's. So that person's imagination should be medium.

Also there is extraverted imagination and introverted imagination. I am not sure extraverts are aware of the silent imaginative people, as the common view of an overactive imagination is the ENP imagination, because they're all in your face.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To the OP:

1.) There's no such thing as "way overactive" when it comes to imagination. It's infinitely useful. It can only be a hinderance if you have no idea how to use it, or if you lose the divide between the imaginary and reality.

2.) It is pretty safe to attribute this style of active imagination to being ENFP ;)