• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Fads

chippinchunk

MBTI Type
INFJ
I hate fads!! So much that I start hating the people who are so interested in them. (Exaggerating...kind of.):blush:

I'm in high school, so fads are somewhat important in our culture. Something popular with us, AZ kids are the "emo" trend. Supposedly there was an original Emo-type out there, but I doubt that. Ive been called emo, because i'm quiet and have wild, dark hair like that, but I assure you I'm nowhere near it.

Anyways, I'm wondering if it's only me who hates the idea of fads. The whole following and, I-do-this-because-I-think-it's-cool thing. (when it's not you who thinks it's all that great but end up doing it anyway)

-NO TRENDS!!
-NO FADS!!

Tell me what fads you went through and which one you hate!!!

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I never really went through any fads..

I own an LG Prada, not an iPhone and drive a 4 door family sports sedan not a 2 door sports car.

People who do or buy stuff just because it's popular are usually wasting their time or money. I can't stand this whole "Apple" fad, and the commercials just make me laugh.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
What I find amusing (I'm also in highschool) is the "non-conformist" fad of kids who try to be different all in kind of a similar way. I guess this is parallel to the so called "emo" trend in some ways, although their isn't much "emo" going on at my school. But yah, this idea of being an "individual" by acting/dressing a specific way ("artsy" most of the time) and taking pictures of yourself using the same unorthodox camera angle everyone else uses in the mirror so you can see the camera is fairly popular, and its kind of silly. Everyone is just as individual as anyone else no matter how hard you try, and I think its a waste of time to try and prove it. There is a fine line between this and expression though... expression comes as individually as people do, and some of this "trying to be individual" could be naturally expression, but I doubt it just because its too much of a trend type thing around here.

I also dislike the trend of scarves indoors. Its Canada, so yah, its cold outside, so wear a scarf, but wearing it indoors, or in a warm season (I've seen it) is kind of a silly trend I don't like. Its probably more that its a trend that bothers me than the trend itself :doh:

That said, I don't like trends, its a silly way to use your energy because it will change and it is ultimately insignificant to everyone, including you.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I never really went through any fads..

I own an LG Prada, not an iPhone and drive a 4 door family sports sedan not a 2 door sports car.

People who do or buy stuff just because it's popular are usually wasting their time or money. I can't stand this whole "Apple" fad, and the commercials just make me laugh.
Yah, the Apple fad is kind of irritating, too. Ever read Maddox' Best Page in the Universe? Prepare for a lot of profanity within a lot of humourous observations.

One thing PC users can do that Mac users can't...

That article is hilarious and true!

And this one about the iPhone:

The iPhone is a piece of shit, and so is your face.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Individuality: Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
In high school I had a secret desire to be part of the fad-infested "in crowd", but I never did because I knew it wasn't me and I would have just felt insecure. Now, I have a style of my own; whether it's good thing or bad thing doesn't matter. I like it.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
I'm in high school, so fads are somewhat important in our culture. Something popular with us, AZ kids are the "emo" trend. Supposedly there was an original Emo-type out there, but I doubt that. Ive been called emo, because i'm quiet and have wild, dark hair like that, but I assure you I'm nowhere near it.

Good'ol highschool. Didn't buy into fads, didn't buy into people lol However, fads and trends are not unique to highschool. Still seem'em in university and everywhere else. No group is spared, except the individual (maybe...). It sucks when you truly want the item...but everyone wants it to....if we were super rich, no competition so....

Do we blame susecptible people or blame advertisers or blame the company behind doors? Hmmmmm Let's collectively create a new trend for emos and milk'em for what they're worth!!!!! :D

*low-threatening music keys*"Introducing, iDon't fit in...Dreary yet bold, blackened and expressive as the wild raveny tangles of hair covering your iron-deficient face....tangible proof that your existence means something to someone when you choose to prove it...and yes, of course, your bedside mirror counts ;) ...because you don't fit in (*whispers* iDon't) and we don't fit in...so iDon't....so iDon't....want it." *fade out sound of blackness*

Price: $400.

After the emos claim it, fashionistas will want to own it and everyone else because the price might've went a little bit down, but we know that it really should've been priced at $110 to begin with. $_$

kekeke

*goes back to sleep* :sleeping:

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
What I find amusing (I'm also in highschool) is the "non-conformist" fad of kids who try to be different all in kind of a similar way.

Maybe it's the eye of the beholder who's seeing everyone in the same way.

After 28 years I've started to wear nothing but very, very conform & sober clothes, with no labels or brands or statements or anything. Cause apparently it's the only way to maintain your individuality without someone at every street corner pinning you down on something based on looks.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Tell me what fads you went through and which one you hate!!!

I haven't really gone through any fads. I don't even hate most fads, except for some of the ones that that can harm people, involve curse words, and rap music (most of it sounds like nails on a chalkboard). Clothes and hair fads don't really seem like a big deal, they just come and go.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I think everyone goes through this at some point. I did, at least, so did quite a few people I know.
IMO the important thing is to recognize that fads don't really make the people following them -- that's just being predisposed. Dislike the fads all you want, but it's not a reason to dislike some people you know nothing about.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I didn't understand a word. I asked because I'm not from USA and I'm not native english speaking person. ;)

So again,
What's Fad?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I do not want to stand out either by being very in style or very out of style. I'm often unaware of fads unless they are really noticeable or a friend points them out. Other than that, I like what I like. If it happens to be the current fad or it happens to be out-dated, etc, so be it.

As far as Apple goes, we had Macs long before they were stylish. We like them and to stop using them because they are suddenly trendy would be about as smart as buying them because they are suddenly trendy.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I didn't understand a word. I asked because I'm not from USA and I'm not native english speaking person. ;)

So again,
What's Fad?

Fad is a term defining a social group's short-lived obsession/interest regarding anything, mostly related to fashion and/or other material things.
An example would be the iPhone over in the USA, which generated a fairly absurd amount of hype and attention prior to and during its release, but the fire of which died fairly swiftly thereafter.

lazyhappy

"pokemen is a revolution" said meh cool friend

i hate fads as well. i hate the "I'm bi" fad... it's making BAD bands currupt the radio. i hate the emo fad... and stuff

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Fad is a term defining a social group's short-lived obsession/interest regarding anything, mostly related to fashion and/or other material things.
An example would be the iPhone over in the USA, which generated a fairly absurd amount of hype and attention prior to and during its release, but the fire of which died fairly swiftly thereafter.

Thanks for explaining Nadir! :)

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
Hate the chunky boots

:steam: :rolli: :shock:
pam-anderson-uggs.jpg
boots%20and%20shorts.JPG

chunky%20boots.JPG