• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How often do you want to "go somewhere new"

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
How often do you feel like its time for a change? How long does it take for you want to change schools, change cities, even change countries?

My university has been great but Ive noticed after 3 1/2 years I'm really ready for a change. It made me start thinking about OFTEN I want a change.

G

Glycerine

I feel like I want a change like every 2 years (like friends, style, school, city).... lol I really want to live in Oregon.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
It's not too often if I am not in a harmful environment. But yeah, the feeling grows as the time goes by and things start to seem like a routine. I think it is especially about not having anything new to learn. Whenever I feel like I'm ready or complete, it would be a good time to change scenery. Or start some new project. Most often, though, it's not like I'm aware of this feeling. Usually someone throws me an idea or suggest something to do, and I get all excited about it because it's something I never even thought about doing. That's the way I change usually. This doesn't necessarily need to involve changing city or anything, but it has sometimes meant exactlly that. Actually, looking back, I think all of my major decisions have been made this way.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
All the time; once something has become mundane, tedious, or repititively dull, I often will desire to attempt something new. Whether this be school, an activity, a daily routine, whatever, all that matters is being able to try out or see something different.

One vivid example I could suggest would be when my family and I moved cross country from New Jersey to Washington. Although the first half of the trip was slightly unpleasant to me, the second half (Rapid City, South Dakota onwards) of the trip was magnificent, there were all sorts of new things to see, and the whole journey was quite the experince. In addition to that the change of secnery and lifestyle from NJ was refreshing and invigorating; I remember that once my family and I had found a house, that for the first few months at least, there was a strange and almost indescribable feeling to me concerning my external atmospphere. I really don't know how to explain it, but it felt as though I had become in sync with my new home and lifestyle, like that great feeling one gets when they cleanse their body after a shower.

EDIT: yay 300th post!

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
for the first few months at least, there was a strange and almost indescribable feeling to me concerning my external atmospphere. I really don't know how to explain it, but it felt as though I had become in sync with my new home and lifestyle, like that great feeling one gets when they cleanse their body after a shower.

Yeah, I know that feeling. I've had the same while travelling, and when I was in exchange. I think it is related to adjusting to the unusual situation you are in. It comes when you start to feel that you know what you are doing in that environment. Of course, it doesn't last, since you get used to the situation.

I think that some people get addicted to the feeling, so they need to be moving all the time. Not that it's a bad thing necessarily, but at least for me the feeling is something I take for granted as a nice thrill, but don't want to seek out, since I think it is something that can never become permanent, or even frequent.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Since I was 5. I changed schools and stuff...but I just want to get out of this geographical area in general ever since I was little.

Sadly, I remember the date of when I started to loathe this place. September 4th, 1996.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by nolla
Yeah, I know that feeling. I've had the same while travelling, and when I was in exchange. I think it is related to adjusting to the unusual situation you are in. It comes when you start to feel that you know what you are doing in that environment. Of course, it doesn't last, since you get used to the situation.

Oh yeah, thats completely what it feels like, the presence within a new environment, it is one of the greatest aspects of visiting a new place.

I think that some people get addicted to the feeling, so they need to be moving all the time. Not that it's a bad thing necessarily, but at least for me the feeling is something I take for granted as a nice thrill, but don't want to seek out, since I think it is something that can never become permanent, or even frequent.

I think it's because this particualr feeling is either Ne (or possibly Se), that for a person like me that constant feeling of it is something that I need often (Ne dom), for you it is something that yu enjoy but don't need to get your energy from it (Ne aux).

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I think it's because this particualr feeling is either Ne (or possibly Se), that for a person like me that constant feeling of it is something that I need often (Ne dom), for you it is something that yu enjoy but don't need to get your energy from it (Ne aux).

I didn't actually even think of the functions, but yes, it seems reasonable it is Ne, because it is definitely about getting enough info to connect the dots and create the feeling (or idea) of the environment. So, it is somewhat similar to learning anything in the Ne way. And yeah, it makes sense that I don't need this feeling in the way a Ne-dom needs it.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
For me it used to be every winter. I wanted to change everything. Job, residence, everything. I just wanted to uproot my whole life ever winter.

I think I kind of figured out that was coming somewhat from Seasonal Affective Disorder. The winter just depressed me and I was trying to cope with that by changing things. I figured out that if I stay more physically active during the winter I don't have problems as much.

The last few years I have kept the change monster from coming out and I'm going on 3 years in the same house now, which is the longest I've lived anywhere since moving out of my parents house almost 15 years ago. I'm happy to have a place that feels like home finally.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I never want to change where I live. I just want to change where I hang out. I like where I live a whole lot! But I think I love it so much because I can travel, and go see new things pretty frequently for someone on my income.

sculpting

My favorite question to ask in boring meetings is "If you had the choice between having any super power you wanted, but being stuck on earth, or not having super powers, but being able to travel anywhere in the universe, which would you pick?"

I would totally travel all over the universe in a heartbeat. My dream would be to have my brain implanted in a little space ship and drive around seeing new stuff foreve until I got to the edge of the universe. Then I would want to see if there were other universes.

But in the real world, I will set a course that typically lasts several years at a time. During school, I was stuck on one course so I could support my kids, but now in the workplace, i typically will stay in a position for 2-3 years-until I have created as much change as I possibly can-then I will move on to something new.

If I cant change the job-I change directions in my mind. I am sort of stuck in my job as they pay me well, but I am about to start taking classes and perhaps get an MS in HR, so just the potential for a different path brightens my mood.

At home I change stuff all the time. Yesterday I went around painting my doors blue. It made me happy as it was new and different. Hysterically, it will make me happy again in a couple of months when I paint it some other color as it will then be new or different.

rav3n

Change is fun but you have to ask yourself "why" the need for school change? If it's related to running away from something(s) after 3.5 years, then it's better to address the problems.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm more interested in taking vacations and travelling to see different places than I am in changing my residence. I like where I live. Although with all the blizzards and cold, I just might change my mind.

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I often dream of going somewhere new, then leaving before I realise it's all the same.

MBTI Type
Mann
I have noticed that I change groups of friends every few years because their direction seems constant, while mine is often changing. I get really down if there is nothing new added to a scenario, and I just go somewhere else. I have always seen myself as a wanderer and books seem to fulfill my need to wander, for a time anyway.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I would be happy staying in the same place forever. I sometimes need a change, as in get out of the house and go out to eat or go to a different or unique store, but as far as changing location, I would rather vacation somewhere new and then come home to the exact same place.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
umm...pretty much 24/7. I love traveling and going on adventures and I want to be able to go anywhere in the world I want. the world is my oyster

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
12-18 months. Without fail.

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
Change is fun but you have to ask yourself "why" the need for school change? If it's related to running away from something(s) after 3.5 years, then it's better to address the problems.

I wasnt planning on leaving. I go to a great university.

I was just giving an example of wanting to.