• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ hype

S

Sniffles

1960 isn't really a part of the 60s as we remember it, it was pretty square and 50s-esque. The "real" 60s culture didn't start until like '64, just sayin'.

And the most popular images of the 60's usually focus more on 1968.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
And the most popular images of the 60's usually focus more on 1968.

Yes this is true, it always takes a while for us to catch on to trends. Everyone focuses on Woodstock as the golden age of hippies, but really, it was more like the last death rattle.

V

violaine

Hmm, if I'm going to take this thread seriously, I'll +1 the sentiment of Annwn's post. I'm much more interested in the future.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ :cheers:

I will confess to liking me my hippies, but the futuristic ones are even better - I promise.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
^ :cheers:

I will confess to liking me my hippies, but the futuristic ones are even better - I promise.

Tech nerd hippies will inherent the earth, basically. Come 2050. New humble ruling class.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
I love hippies. I tried to dress like it in high school. And college. Until I realized I needed a job...

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm more interested in the 1560s...

The court of Elizabeth I was fashion conscious and socially free as well. One just had to be a little bit more stealthy about it. Plus you had to hate Catholics.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
1960 isn't really a part of the 60s as we remember it, it was pretty square and 50s-esque. The "real" 60s culture didn't start until like '64, just sayin'.

Actually the mod subculture (which I love more about the 60's than hippies) began in England in the late 50's. I love love love all things mod. I feel that in the United States Andy Warhol and the Factory and Edie Sedgwick also seemed to fit a bit more with the mod subculture than with hippies. I don't necessarily consider the hippies the "real" 60's culture, myself, just ONE of the elements of the 60's. Everything wasn't square in the 50's, either. The beatniks are also from the 50's.

Maybe I'm the only person that does kind of like that "square-ish" 50's, early 60's vibe...it's part of the reason why I like David Lynch films and shows like Mad Men.

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The hippies were the major American offshoot of the 60s "feeling", I think. "The 60s", as a concept, was largely British in nature but was obviously incorporated and changed when it reached America. The pertinence of the Vietnam War obviously gave a very US-gloss to proceedings Stateside. I think that's why there may be a tendency to consider the early 60s as a bit of a write-off in America; Americans probably identity more with the end and with Woodstock, etc.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I love that this thread has turned into a thread about hippies.

S

Sniffles

Actually the mod subculture (which I love more about the 60's than hippies) began in England in the late 50's. I love love love all things mod. I feel that in the United States Andy Warhol and the Factory and Edie Sedgwick also seemed to fit a bit more with the mod subculture than with hippies. I don't necessarily consider the hippies the "real" 60's culture, myself, just ONE of the elements of the 60's. Everything wasn't square in the 50's, either. The beatniks are also from the 50's.

Maybe I'm the only person that does kind of like that "square-ish" 50's, early 60's vibe...it's part of the reason why I like David Lynch films and shows like Mad Men.

Beatniks are alright I guess. Personally I prefer the Lounge subculture represented by the Rat Pack.

[youtube="vl6Xin4YgFk"]Rat Pack ftw![/youtube]

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah the Rat Pack "lounge culture" makes me think of old, historic Vegas...something I became very familiar with by living there. Martinis, piano bars, glamour...yeah that stuff is cool.

The beat generation I like because I associate it with Route 66 and artists, to me it represents a more intellectual rebellion than the hippie movement. I mean I appreciate the hippie movement because of getting back to nature, freedom, and equal rights, but I could do without a lot of aspects of it.

Here's a photo of Miss Beatnik 1959 from Venice Beach,CA. It gives me very much a Laura Palmer vibe.

miss_beatnik.jpg

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Actually the mod subculture (which I love more about the 60's than hippies) began in England in the late 50's. I love love love all things mod.

You're not the only one. For me, Lounge, Beatnik, & Mod >>> Hippie

tumblr_l6jjuooJCi1qd3z4qo1_400.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The hippies were the major American offshoot of the 60s "feeling", I think. "The 60s", as a concept, was largely British in nature but was obviously incorporated and changed when it reached America. The pertinence of the Vietnam War obviously gave a very US-gloss to proceedings Stateside. I think that's why there may be a tendency to consider the early 60s as a bit of a write-off in America; Americans probably identity more with the end and with Woodstock, etc.

I don't see how the early 60's are actually a "write-off" in American culture when they pretty much epitomize the heart of it. The early 60's were bright, colorful, commercial, fun, perpetually adolescent, there was a lot of emphasis on beach culture i.e. The Beach Boys and Annette Funicello/Frankie Avalon movies...and a lot of 80's fashions - AND CURRENT FASHIONS - are more influenced by the early-to-mid 60's than the late 60's hippie stuff. Space age/post-modern/plastic is all early 60's stuff...and the 80's had that whole colorful, fun, synthetic sprayed-up, teased-up hair thing going on. Early 60's is still at the root of pop music and I see as being a strong influence on what we now call "hipster" fashion: the big clunky glasses, big sunglasses, skinny jeans, leggings, ballet slipper flats, bangs, etc.

I almost wonder if people forget about the early 60's in America because the culture of that time has become so intrinsic to what is considered "American."

And let us not forget the civil rights movement...

S

Sniffles

Apparently there's more sexiness in being a long-haired unwashed hippie who throws temper tantrums in the streets en masse.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think bathing is sexy.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If this goes on like that I am gonna change my type to INFJ too :D
Long live the 70s !

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZCtgFmQvjQ&feature=related"].[/youtube]

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
:sick: The seventies were awful. Well, SOME of the music was okay (mainly early 70s), otherwise sucked big time.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Kinda strong opinionated for that inculpable avatar, why in the world wouldnt you love the Bee Gees or Queen ? :)