• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ hype

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
was taught that "petrol" was the word for gasoline, and my grandfather used to also sometimes say "West Virginee." Of course, he was from that old mountain generation - he literally grew up in a log cabin and ran around barefoot. I mean, we all ran around barefoot (and I still do!) but apparently he had less of a choice in the matter.

It is the word for gasoline!

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
My husband will sometimes call gasoline, petrol. :thinking: I didn't know it was a dialect thing.

Last edited:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It is the word for gasoline!

In the UK!

Many settlers in the WV mountains were Scots-Irish. Weird dialect and accents tend to stick around longer in places that have no reliable connection the outside world. Because of its mountainous terrain, WV was far behind the rest of the country until at least the 1950's when highways and bridges were built, including tunnels straight through mountains. I am proud to say my grandfather and great-uncle were a vital part of all of that happening in WV when they returned from the military following WWII and Korea.

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
In the UK!

Many settlers in the WV mountains were Scots-Irish. Weird dialect and accents tend to stick around longer in places that have no reliable connection the outside world. Because of its mountainous terrain, WV was far behind the rest of the country until at least the 1950's when highways and bridges were built, including tunnels straight through mountains. I am proud to say my grandfather and great-uncle were a vital part of all of that happening in WV when they returned from the military following WWII and Korea.

I think "petrol" waa favoured here because we like to maintain links with Latin (via French or Old French); in America, it's more of a free-for-all, probably due to the lessened effects of the Norman invasion (of England) in 1066.

On a semi-related note, I find the accents of those from WV and related areas to be quite sweet, particularly with their pre-dereliction for "antiquated" words or phrases.

That being said, most American accents are cute in their own way. West coast accents always sound chirpy and bubbly, as if there is in fact some sunshine in their voice (as long as they're a part of the "lyyk wutevuh" crew). East coast also sounds like they're a bit hassled. I reckon that's the English influence again.