• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] True introversion or shy extroversion

Lauren

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think it is about control.

From what I understand introverts' brains have a high level of chemical stimulation and it doesn't take too much to overload them. They withdraw because they literally feel overwhelmed by more than a small amount of human interaction. Extroverts' brains are not as naturally stimulated so must seek out others to induce that chemical reaction.

I read the article you posted and I agree with that as well. I've very easily overly-stimulated and will just shut down after just a small amount of human interaction. I love to talk with good friends and can do that for an undetermined amount of time (usually several hours) before I literally can't go on. My friends have said: "I see the shades are drawn--your eyes are open but there's no one there." Even the slightest stimulation will have me off into ideas or fantasies. I love interaction but absolutely need to take a lot of time to process what I've heard or seen. I love it when a friend will let me go off to recharge while we're still talking or driving or whatever. I'll listen, nod, look at the window, and they'll know I'll come back eventually or need to go home. I can listen while recharging. It's talking for too long a time that exhausts me.

Last edited:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that's more from the theory about highly sensitive persons (HSPs), who can also be extroverts.
It's an interesting question because there's probably some overlap there - I have heard these things about introverts specifically, although I haven't read the original scientific papers, only the "news article" type things that summarize them.

I would guess that introverts and HSP extroverts would just be similar in that way. No reason it can't be both, or perhaps there are vastly more HSP introverts and that skews things (I haven't heard of HSP extroverts before, though I haven't been looking for them either). HSP is surrounded by "fuzzy" science, anyway.

That was kinda what I was getting at earlier. I know I am certainly extremely sensitive to noise, movement, clutter, chaos etc and get overwhelmed by them easily and need to retreat. I guess you could call it a control thing in that I know that stuff bothers me and I prefer to avoid it or at least plan around it, but the control aspect is a product of the sensitivity, not a cause.

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to find one-on-one interaction more satisfying than a huge group. If I had to get up and lecture in front of people, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I find huge crowds of people overwhelming. But I like to have a close group of friends I can confide with. I like to find someone who cares that I can take into my world of imagination, to be with someone who I can share my feelings and thoughts. I truly like people, just after a long amount of time being in a very high-intensity and high excitement environment, it takes energy away from me, and I like to spend time on my own reflecting on my experiences, as well as relaxing on my own to decompress. I find I gain much more energy from spending thoughtful reflective time at home. I like social interaction, but I usually need to give myself an energy boost to get through it.

I heart this explanation.

I also find a lot of times that I need to wind down from social interaction just to thoroughly examine what Ni was telling me about the social situation. I don't know if any other introverts do this, but when I am traveling home from whatever stimulating situation I was in, I am examining the true meanings of all the connections/unconnections I encountered.

If I stay in a social situation for too long, I eventually become paranoid..or idealistic.. about whatever is going on. To grip the reality of it, I have to walk away for a while.

Lauren

MBTI Type
INFP
I heart this explanation.

I also find a lot of times that I need to wind down from social interaction just to thoroughly examine what Ni was telling me about the social situation. I don't know if any other introverts do this, but when I am traveling home from whatever stimulating situation I was in, I am examining the true meanings of all the connections/unconnections I encountered.
If I stay in a social situation for too long, I eventually become paranoid..or idealistic.. about whatever is going on. To grip the reality of it, I have to walk away for a while.

I definitely do this and enjoy it. I don't function well at all if I don't have time to download and examine what was said and possible meanings. It's been said that nonverbal communication is the most direct and true, so for a person who's natural inclinination is to probe possibilities, it's satisfying to try and discern what's just gone on. I find that words just don't convey true meaning and often hide it behind social convention or fear of being exposed or known. But, body language or other nonverbal cues just don't lie. That's not to say that the meaning of nonverbal language is absolutely known, but for me, I rely on it more than what's said verbally.