• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Fe and not having a strong sense of self-identity.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How can you possibly say you dont criticize the posters and in the same post hold the thought that the approach could sanction unhealthy behaviours? MBTI is nothing in and of itself. What is a book if it is not opened? You question because you question "humanity", not MBTI. You criticize the posters and this thread, which you are apart of ;) How can you also criticize and then question in the same breadth if it does? Thats like making a judgement based on what you dont know, is that healthy?

The functions are setup around, feelings, thoughts, concrete, concepts. How can you argue that those things dont exist that you dont see it in the world around you? That certain people dont use one over the other? I dont see how they cant exist in its simple form. Now where things can go wrong is when we extrapolate to far. What happens is that things start to overlap because thoughts cause feelings, feelings cause thought, these thoughts are based on either concrete things or concepts. Nothing can exist without the other, yet we seperate it as if it can. We then tend to forget that we seperated it and stick all of what we have in a group. The groups start to overlap and we have to do some house cleaning to seperate again which leads us back to the same thing. And to complicate this even more we all are seperate entities when it comes to knowledge so we all have "different data" so to say that he have already pregrouped, prearranged, pre-messed-up that we bring into the mix when we try to understand.

If someone wants to assume that what they do is natural and ok they would find a click to hang out with that rationalizes, reasons, and comforts the people who are like them...oh wait that already happens without MBTI. So what does MBTI really provide in the form of what is natural is ok compared to what we already have in the world. Is this really any different? Yeah if you focus on the details, but what if you focus on the concept? The concept that we do this exact same thing in real life, but havnt really defined exactly what we are doing, therefor remain blind to it.

ok, im done :) atleast for now.

Random Ness

^^^I'm...not sure how to reply to that...

Thank you, Salome, for an INTP's perspective on the topics in this thread.

I'm not totally sure which comments are directed toward the thread and which are toward MBTI fans in general...I'm just going to say that hopefully you picked up on the indignation toward the tendencies brought up in the OP. I was speaking against those tendencies. I even said "FJs would like to be their own person," meaning FJs have work to do.

Orobas said:
The notion that one problem=one solution for everyone strikes me as Fe being presumptuous and projective and unwilling to note that half of the world is not motivated or seeing the world through the lens of Fe....

Could you explain which Fe behaviors you're referencing? I don't quite understand what you're talking about.

And, if we're talking statistics, then according to my type statistic thread, 54.5% of the world doesn't see the world through the lens of Fe. :D OK, I'll stop referencing statistics. xO I just like that kind of stuff...

saslou said:
*subscribed* :D

:D Thank you!!!

untypeable said:
I'm so like that. Around my friend-that's-a-boy-but-not-a-boyfriend-because-I-can't-date-yet I'm ENFP, and he's ESFP so I won't lose my N-ness. Around my best friend (who I was having a conversation with above), I'm INFJ or INFP, and she's ENTx. Around my sister, I'll be ENFP, ENFJ, and INFJ. She's INFP. See? I have multiple personalities. :p

Ahh, the glorious wonders of Fe!!!!!!

That's very...uh...interesting. Are you contributing your changes in personality to Fe? That's quite a lot of changing.

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can I ask you something Fe users? Why would you try to connect to somebody you don't like on a deep or hidden level? Do you choose to connect? Or is there something in you that compels you to?

I think I'm a Fe user... kinda sorta.

I do this mostly because I believe there may be something I'm missing in my evaluation of the person. I'm compelled by knowing there is a possibility that I'm not being fair in my dislike.

However, over the past few years, I'm not as willing to reach out as I did in the past. In my case, it's probably because I have started trusting the Ni. Also, I don't have to like or connect with everyone, and everyone doesn't have to like me. But I do believe in cordiality, and that's really enough for me at this point.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
Quay: don't have to like or connect with everyone, and everyone doesn't have to like me. But I do believe in cordiality, and that's really enough for me at this point.

I think this is wise and pragmatic.

untypeable

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
N/A
That's very...uh...interesting. Are you contributing your changes in personality to Fe? That's quite a lot of changing.

Aha. I know. Hmm...probably. I change a lot because of the people around me, partially because I don't want them to hate me, and partially because I just...do.

Random Ness

Orodas said:
The notion that one problem=one solution for everyone strikes me as Fe being presumptuous and projective and unwilling to note that half of the world is not motivated or seeing the world through the lens of Fe....
OK, well, she didn't respond, so I'll just say this.

Frustrated Fi users (not directed toward the person who wrote the quote), it's not that we're mean people. We want to help you to the fullest extent that we can. Thinking that you react/feel the same way the majority does helps us help you. If we don't make judgments about your pain/uncomfortability, then we can't help you. At its worst, Fe users can project their help upon people who don't want it and resent those who don't react the way the Fe user thinks they will. At its best, it's an efficient and practical way of dealing with people.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cannot relate. And I do not think this is INTP-typical. One of our distinguishing features is how little we are influenced by the opinions of others. Usually the endorsement of others is a reason for me to avoid something - I genuinely dislike the times when my tastes and those of the general public are in agreement - mostly because I think the tastes of the general public are pretty crass and vulgar, and I don't like to think that about myself (whether it's true or not).

If other people (especially those who typically seem to be intelligent and/or perceive things well) have a completely different opinion than me, I'll make a point to listen to what they have to say... but that doesn't really mean I'm just going to accept their view or deny their view automatically. I don't consider that an Fe thing, it's very much an analytical function: Give me the information you used to make your decision, so I can reevaluate if need be. This can be anything from a life value to something as frivolous as arguing about the quality of Tron Legacy over on INTPc.

However, there are sometimes emotional responses I have to other people's opinions, that seem separate from my evaluation process. I find those emotional responses annoying and counter-productive at times, beneficial in others -- it depends on how they align with the conclusions of my analysis. If I think the proferred opinion is BS, it bugs me that I sometimes still feel shame or rejection simply for reaching a different conclusion. (For me, I consider that a product of environment, where I was often ignored or put down growing up for having counter-opinions... so I learned to keep my thoughts to myself and not have to deal with the emotional futility. So that's not really function-driven per se.)

I try not to do the kneejerk thing you describe, even if inside I do have a kneejerk reaction based on my opinion of the person(s) speaking or of the general public. It seems as impulsive to ignore something completely just because everyone else likes it, as much as it is to accept it because everyone else does. Thinking thinks through things, so I seem to immediately stomp on the impulse and see if the new data makes any sense.