• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Morality and NF type

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Can type effect how a person sees morality?
For example, I'm an xNFP and my father is an ENFJ (that's what he tested as, I'm not making an educated guess) though at times he has tested ENFP.
He does not believe in absolute morals. I on the other hand do. He seems to think I'm cute and naive to be a "moral absolutist."
That's to say, for example, that I think lying is wrong. I think lying is always wrong. I think lying is sometimes neccessary due to survival or societal requirements but that doesn't negate its wrongness or that, in an ideal world, no one would lie. I've always felt my father was pretty amoral (and hypocritical) changing his idea of what is right an wrong and moral depending on his bevior and the situation.
I understand that P and J do not dictate moral ideas, but does personality have anything to do (in general) with one's ideas on morality? Is it reasonable that we're both NFs but differ so greatly on our views?

Or, it is nurture that determins it? Or something far more complex?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think that things are contextual, though certain things are basically morally wrong in most situations, there are no hard and fast rules.

I apply this to lying, killing, stealing, etc.

It's not as bad as that sounds. :D

Lying is okay if it keeps someone's feelings from being hurt, or protects you from danger, for example.

Killing is okay in terms of mercy killing and extreme cases where death penalty serves more value for social protection/suffering of sick individual who will never be rehabilitated. Also, in war killing can be a necessary evil.

Stealing because you're starving isn't the same as stealing millions of dollars via white collar crime, etc.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Makes sense that type might influence your ideas about morality, but I don't think it's a particularly strong influence. I've met plenty of FJs and TPs that believed in absolute morality and FPs and TJs that did not to believe that there are other factors involved.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ok, thank you. :)