• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] INFP/ENFP: Do you feel "safe" to openly & freely share your thoughts about Fi here?

Fi ONLY: Do you feel safe to freely share your thoughts about Fi on TypoC?

• Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I see uumlau and I are on the same tangent ... :)

It was simply the most polite word I could find to express the idea.

What idea? Out with it ... you want to take it deeper emotionally, like bitching or bawling about something? Is that right?

What emotion to you underpins the Fi expression of a "feeling tone"? It's safe to tell me and I won't be offended.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One thing I know for sure - IRL, Te users complain more than Fi users.

Not sure if that helps.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see uumlau and I are on the same tangent ... :)

What idea? Out with it ... you want to take it deeper emotionally, like bitching or bawling about something? Is that right?

What emotion to you underpins the Fi expression of a "feeling tone"? It's safe to tell me and I won't be offended.

It changes, but in the recent instances this thread focuses on you could term it complaining/whining/martyring/whinging/etc. Irrelevant objections.

One thing I know for sure - IRL, Te users complain more than Fi users.

Not sure if that helps.

Oh HELL YES. They will nag and complain about everyone around them when in the right mood. Which sometimes seems to be "awake".

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
It changes, but in the recent instances this thread focuses on you could term it complaining/whining/martyring/whinging/etc. Irrelevant objections.

Those aren't emotions, they are synonyms, and I know I am asking you to stretch here ..... to complain or whine or whinge assumes a pre-existing emotional state ..... what emotions do you think I feel or have at the moment when I say "This looks wrong to me"?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those aren't emotions, they are synonyms, and I know I am asking you to stretch here ..... to complain or whine or whinge assumes a pre-existing emotional state ..... what emotions do you think I feel or have at the moment when I say "This looks wrong to me"?

Would it bother you if I said I didn't care?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
No it doesn't bother me if you care or not, but answering the question is the point. Just give me your best guess. :)

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Others have posted and agreed with me. I've discussed this issue with other people before posting here too.

Or I'm lying and I just like picking on you all.

Yes, obviously I said you were lying and picking on.

I'm sure you actually got my point.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Actually the problem I see with Mac's post is him speaking for other Fe's. That is where the problem lies. I have non-Fi friends who don't feel the same way about Fi.

"Non-Fi see Fi as complaining" is talking for other people and making your point stronger because "other people" feel that way too.

I think this came up earlier in the thread when sleepy(?) protested that Fe can't speak for Fe. However, the very nature of Fe is that it doesn't speak out with certainty until it has gathered enough consensus to be sure it is not alone in the belief being expressed. Fe is also a much less individual function. There are basic guidelines or principles that allow the most work to get done while ruffling the least amount of feathers. We concede that the attitudes reflected then may not encompass each different shade of feeling or individual perspective, but there enough universal agreement and the criteria reached for those guidelines of Fe that most Fe users are going to be fine with it. Fe users may vary in how strongly or weakly they word something or in how willing they are to try to see it from the opposite perspective, but overall, the reactions that Mac has expressed are our first impulses. I have seen very few Fe users ever say "Quit speaking for me! You got it all wrong" when another Fe user says something like this, even though they would be willing to correct misinformation or miscontrued perception of their emotion (so it's not all group conflict avoidance).

While I am committed to trying to understand opposing viewpoints better and to implement that into how I relate to people, I freely admit that my first perception of Fi often is that it is complaining. As such, it sometimes feels as if Fi users are requesting

1) Everyone to adapt to them (even though they are one person and the rest of the group are many who would all have to rearrange themselves to accommodate)

2) They are not subject to the same constrictions we all experience in a group (all of us have issues we feel strongly about - Fe users just tend to try to hold out for the battles most important to them to fight and look for the smoothest way to make their viewpoint understood and accepted. Losing out on the smaller issues is disappointing, but are part of what you lose when you enlist the extra thought processes and ability to harness many people's power for one project or cause)

3) They see themselves as being much more perceptive and unique than other people

4) They want understanding without trying to present the material in such a way that is palatable and taken seriously by their audience

5) They play the victim.

6) They are just unaware and thoughtless.

I do understand that from a Fi perspective, all of these accusations are grossly unfair and inaccurate. I certainly don't feel that reaction to all Fi users, but expressed in an immature form, Fi can grate.

I don't know if that's an emotion or not, PB, but it's what comes to mind when looking at the underlying issues that make us react as we do to Fi.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No it doesn't bother me if you care or not, but answering the question is the point. Just give me your best guess. :)

A sense of being wronged, indignation.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The underlying assumption is "nobody notices me/nobody understands me/nobody validates my perceptions (which are acute and unique, and my point of view being invisible to other people, they should listen intently when I describe it, because they can't see it naturally.)" The underlying feeling tone (jesus, must we) is pouty and stubborn, consisting mostly of "if you don't agree with me, it's because you don't understand me, and if you don't understand me, it's because you're incapable of comprehending my subtle genious, and if you are not at least grateful that I go to the trouble to express my subtle genious, well ... you should be." Something like that. Plus on and on about how someone has to point out that the emperor has no clothes.

The thing is, nobody's blind, everybody can see the emperor has no clothes, nobody wants to stop the parade in its tracks to discuss what everyone can see. This is not subtle genious, it's more a firm grasp on the obvious and a major fail at understanding why the group praises the emperor's new clothes when he's not wearing any. I see how that would be very frustrating; it's like there's an inside joke going on that you don't get. But to keep putting it on everybody else that they don't get you is not entirely valid either. It comes to the point that one really doesn't know what to say anymore, it's like, what do you want me to say, jesus. Tell me what it is and I'll say it. Then can we move on before I rip out all my hair and run screaming down the street.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Self-pity and indignation.

What drives me nuts is the disregard for the outcome. That is just so foreign to me. I mean, I believe there are very important issues upon which we must disagree with the group and fight to the death. However, Fe weighs the consequences when doing so and decides that it is worth it even if they lose everything in the process. It bothers me when Fi users go in with guns blazing, or even with the intention of solving a problem, but then want sympathy when the inevitable happens. If they would be willing to check first, Fe users could be their eyes for them in the darkness of the group situation and show them a path where they could accomplish the same thing safely. I would be willing to acknowledge that on a more individual level, Fi users see a myriad of elements that we don't as readily and I need Fi users to be my eyes there.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Actually this thread is an interesting study in why people might not feel "safe" posting in a thread about Fi.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
A sense of being wronged, indignation.

OK, that's very good, certainly if one feels indignant it could lead to an expression that comes out as a complaint. Excellent.

What if I told you that at the moment I get a "feeling tone", a sense that something is right or wrong, that leads me to initially investigate and dig deeper, there is no emotion attached to it at all. It's a feeling yes, it gets my attention, makes me attentive, wary even - it feels like an internal awakening, an alertness.

Then, after exploring the "feeling tone" can come emotions, yes. Emotions will come for sure when someone reacts to the "feeling tone" with dismissal, "What are you talking about? Everything is fine, why are you complaining?" At that point, indeed I may very well feel indignant, because what is a very neutral beginning is suffused with someone else's assumption of the inner state I must have possessed in order to say what I said.

It becomes a chain reaction, so generally Fi guards the initial expression of the inner "feeling tone", knowing it could be misinterpreted & misconstrued.

SO, now, take us to the forum. Here we are. A place where I can interact with other Fi-ers and let my "feeling tone" get expressed out loud, as it were. Then, just like IRL, people come swooping in assigning motivations and intentions to my "feeling tone" that don't exist. A "feeling tone" is just data - it doesn't tell me anything until I analyze it with the other functions. It just tells me something is amiss.

What uumlau posted above is correct: the "safe place" I speak of is a place where other types at least have a little patience with Fi as we take that first "feeling tone" we generally guard so closely to the outer world. Ask a question if you like, so we can pick it apart, help us with your Ti to dig deep. But please, stop assigning it erroneous emotions, emotional intentions or motivations - because that IS what makes Fi users frustrated and annoyed. That's all I hope for. :)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a ridiculous proposition, anyway, the idea that you should feel "safe" to discuss anything. If making you feel safe is the condition of the discussion ... why is that my job? Now hear this: you're not safe. These are possible dangers: I may argue. I might get annoyed and show it. I may prove you wrong. Possibly I'll answer your questions more pointedly than you might have liked. And vice versa. There is no "safe" here. Also anything you say can and will be held against you, because all typing on the internet is forever. What kind of "safe" is everybody supposed to provide? Don't feel safe. Keep your wits about you and carry on.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It's similar to not being able to talk about "psychic" things on a board about being psychic because it's not concrete or irritates people. Nonetheless, this is a forum for personality types and not being able to discuss part of it without people complaining about it is lessening the worth of the forum.

Yes, I know psychic is a weak analogy, just work with me.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Re. PB's post - I realize part of the purpose of this thread was to discuss the ability/safety of Fi's to express themselves in a way that is more natural to them, and whether or not that is possible in an environment such as this.

But, I just wanted to say that some confusion and protestation from others, in various threads, could be removed if when you experienced one of these 'feeling tones' that you wanted to explore, you prefaced all of it by saying: 'Something doesn't seem to be right. I don't know what it is, I don't know whether after exploration I'll decide that everything is in fact ok, but I would like to discuss a, b, and c (or whatever) because I sense something is being missed, and I also want to see if other people are also sensing this.' Or something like that. You know? And then you could go into more of your 'natural' language. I mean I realize this is probably not what you're wanting to have to do, but by prefacing something neutrally first, people then understand the purpose behind why you're wanting to discuss.

(And now I'm off to a dentist appt. Blech.)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
@ Elaur: exactly that, well said.

Please too - no one be offended with fidelia's and Tiltyred's posts - they are exactly what's needed right now, so leave the righteous Fi at the door.

TYVM. :hug:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
So PB, you're saying that feeling tones carry no emotion with them? To me that's a strange thought. All feeling of mine also carries with it definite emotion. Because I don't trust that the emotions I have are stable and will remain, I tend to also hold back on expressing feelings until I know whether the emotions at the time strongly influences my feeling, or if it is something that remains over time and has reasons to back it up.

If you people's process in that regard is somewhat more separate, that would explain why it feels frustrating to be dismissed like that. Fe users tend to not want to bother people with their feelings because if they feel strongly enough to express them, it usually is a request for some kind of change and accommodation on other people's part. The bigger the group, the more people there are that would be affected by me speaking up. Therefore, while I may express something more easily to an individual, the larger the group, the less I would openly say, unless I was sure it was an issue for other people as well.

If the problem lies outside of my locus of control, there is also to some extent an expression that the responsibility for the reaction I'm having is within their locus of power instead. So it could be felt as an accusation of sorts. I think this is one of the reasons why Fe users tend to see Fi users expression of their feeling tones as complaints. It implies to them (from their projection) that
1) Change is being requested
2) The fault lies within someone outside the person making the complaint.

When we are not given more information to help explain the reasoning for expressing concern, it feels like someone who is immaturely just trying to shift responsibility from themselves and in the process make a lot of other people change just to accommodate them.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm trying to work with you...did you want to elaborate on that bad analogy? :D

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah, I wouldn't normally express what I did if PB hadn't specifically asked for it. If we want to get to the bottom of this, I think the only way is to understand each other's thought processes and what led them to the conclusion they have made. What I have said is not a statement that those reactions are a reflection of the truth, but rather that given the way we would react in similar circumstances, these are the kinds of motivations that would be attributed to that behaviour.

Awhile back, Teslashock and I had a conversation in which she said something about having initially read me as quite insecure and looking for affirmation because I asked a lot of questions and talked to a lot of different people on the forum on here. If she had been acting in the same manner, she said it would have been when she was overcompensating for unsure feelings. Through the course of interacting with her, she said that she realized that she had been mistaken and that it had more to do with me wanting to better understand what was going on around me.

I think in this case, Fe-ers make those same kinds of assumptions about motives, because they only have access to their own thought processes to try to explain that behaviour. Sometimes it's not until you even are presented with a different mode of interaction that you realize what your own natural mode is and also that it's not universal! What I am trying to do is say how it looks to us and then be corrected on what the premises you guys start with are instead and have you describe your process and how it leads to a much different conclusion. The only way we can show more sensitivity is if we understand where our differences in perception lie and why that is.