• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NF and NT romance in movies

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I usually find comedic chemistry in movies more interesting than romantic chemistry.

Hehe, I'd tend to agree. So what do you think of the pairing of Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in Rush Hour? (If you've seen it.)

Hmmm, NT and NF, NT and NF... I'm trying to think of one pairing.

No, I really can't think of one. Beauty and the Beast may be one. Or Simba/Nala from The Lion King, since I just watched that last night. (Yeah, I'm a Disney-lover and cartoon-watcher! What of it!)

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No way. Nala's an ESTJ. Simba's an.... INFP? ISFP? :)

I've not thought of any NF/NT pairings. But in the Ang Lee movie version I saw of Pride and Prejudice, I thought the elder sister came of as an INTJ, in a more rigid society (I suppose you could make a case for ISTJ, but she didn't seem that traditional).

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I don't know there, Colors. I can definitely see ESTJ, but I can also see ENTJ. She doesn't get much screentime so it's really open to interpretation, but she could almost as easily be an ENTJ as an ESTJ. Definitely has some Te in there, given how organized and efficient she is. She has a loyalty for her clan that could be either ESTJ or ENTJ, but her sense of humor and how she's SO good at troubleshooting seem so NT to me. She acts in the immediate context, which is Se, and seems to have a good idea of what will happen to the pridelands if Simba doesn't step in - that would be her Ni talking - which could be an argument for why she's an ENTJ. But I agree with ExTJ. "You're starting to sound like my father," says Simba. "Good. At least one of us is," says Nala. Withering. What a brat. ENTJ. :D

I was thinking Simba was either an ISFP or an INFP too. I'm going to go with INFP, just for the purposes of this thread, but it's almost a toss-up. He seems really good at living with the guilt of his past; in other words, he easily recalls past experiences and data and broods on it, which is Si, which could be an argument for him being INFP. Fi-dom, definitely. I'd say he's an INFP, because he's not NEARLY as good as Nala at troubleshooting; he'd much rather stay in happy-go-lucky paradise with Timon and Pumbaa than do anything to help the pridelands, which really smacks of self-indulgent Fi and a distinct LACK of Ni, which would help him see the implications of what he's doing (maybe; I have a shallow understanding of Ni). He's VERY stubborn about doing certain things that interfere with his mood or his happy way of life, exactly like a moody INFP ennea-type four I know in real life. Moody, reflective and self-indulgent are Simba's synonyms, and they're also pretty good synonyms of INFPs (in very broad terms). For those wondering, he's an introvert because he does just fine with only Timon and Pumbaa's company, and he really does seem to do a lot of lonely self-reflection.

armstrongvk12

MBTI Type
ENxJ
I think that is far from a decided fact. In fact, I'll admit that I don't buy it. I think that Jane Austen was an NF.
I was just going with the type that all of the sites list for Jane Austen. I actually did not find one site that listed her as something other than INTJ. If she was an INTJ, then it made sense to me that some of her female characters would also be INTJ or at least NT. The female protagonist of her stories was a reflection of herself.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hehe, I'd tend to agree. So what do you think of the pairing of Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in Rush Hour? (If you've seen it.)

Hmmm, NT and NF, NT and NF... I'm trying to think of one pairing.

No, I really can't think of one. Beauty and the Beast may be one. Or Simba/Nala from The Lion King, since I just watched that last night. (Yeah, I'm a Disney-lover and cartoon-watcher! What of it!)

I think Jackie Chan is an ENFP (and also he basically plays himself in every movie), but Chris Tucker is some sort of SP (maybe ESFP). Beauty and the Beast may be an NT-NF pairing, but it's been too long since I've seen it.

Priam

MBTI Type
INTP
Beauty and the Beast may be an NT-NF pairing, but it's been too long since I've seen it.

I dunno. I always saw the Beast as a heavily damaged NF and Belle definitely isn't an NT! Her father, at least in the Disney movie, is practically the stereotype of INTP, though.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
speaking of Priam... what about Troy? Paris definitely seems NF (as does Priam), although I'm not sure if Helen is an NT.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
armstrongvk12 said:
Can you think of any characters where the woman is the NT and the man is the NF? They are both so rare....just wondering.

I think I might of finally thought of one (I'm slow and don't watch that much media), though not from a movie... Does anyone watch How I Met Your Mother? I'm thinking Ted's probably an ENFx and Robin is an NT? (but maybe STP, which would render this useless.)

Ted's always idealizing what he wants out of soulmate- and the fact that there *is* one out there for him. Whereas Robin was always more against the super-sharing of everything and wanted to be more independent.

(Off-topic, but an interesting show to think of in MBTI. What's Barney's type? Disappointed ENFP? ESTP persona?)

Mempy said:
He's VERY stubborn about doing certain things that interfere with his mood or his happy way of life, exactly like a moody INFP ennea-type four I know in real life. Moody, reflective and self-indulgent are Simba's synonyms, and they're also pretty good synonyms of INFPs (in very broad terms).

I'm convinced and bow down to your superior typing skills.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually my favorite NF-NT pairing is the platonic one in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles between ENFP John Candy and INTJ Steve Martin. That is comedic gold right there. Meh, what can I say? I'm a male ENTP. I usually find comedic chemistry in movies more interesting than romantic chemistry. :blush:

Hahaha!!! :D That's my favorite John Hughes movie! A great depiction of how Ne and Ni get along! Although I always thought Steve Martin's character was more ENTJ.

That said, why not Balki (an ENFP) and Larry (an ENTJ) of Perfect Strangers?

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
speaking of Priam... what about Troy? Paris definitely seems NF (as does Priam), although I'm not sure if Helen is an NT.

I wonder if you speak of the movie/s or of The Iliad itself which is much better and crazier?

I know this is old but....:
Memphy said:
I was thinking Simba was either an ISFP or an INFP too. I'm going to go with INFP, just for the purposes of this thread, but it's almost a toss-up. He seems really good at living with the guilt of his past; in other words, he easily recalls past experiences and data and broods on it, which is Si, which could be an argument for him being INFP. Fi-dom, definitely. I'd say he's an INFP, because he's not NEARLY as good as Nala at troubleshooting; he'd much rather stay in happy-go-lucky paradise with Timon and Pumbaa than do anything to help the pridelands, which really smacks of self-indulgent Fi and a distinct LACK of Ni, which would help him see the implications of what he's doing (maybe; I have a shallow understanding of Ni). He's VERY stubborn about doing certain things that interfere with his mood or his happy way of life, exactly like a moody INFP ennea-type four I know in real life. Moody, reflective and self-indulgent are Simba's synonyms, and they're also pretty good synonyms of INFPs (in very broad terms). For those wondering, he's an introvert because he does just fine with only Timon and Pumbaa's company, and he really does seem to do a lot of lonely self-reflection.

I'm thinking more ISTP....oh yea...I can see it and especially being initially insensitive (not listening to dad, not understanding how his actions affect others). INFPs and ISTPs can look a bit similar but ISTPs are more out of their heads than INFPs and are more free-flowing by being spontaneous on the outside (reacting to people's emotions but maintaing they own their own and they're right etc etc). I never saw Simba as moody, reflective other than when crises was involved (very typical of a ISTP in a crises) and being self-indulgent (not a crime) is an ISTP birthright :D and ISTPs may seem more outgoing or more with the group but they truly maintain autonomoy + reserve their true intentions/beliefs/feelings to a select trusted few.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
(Off-topic, but an interesting show to think of in MBTI. What's Barney's type? Disappointed ENFP? ESTP persona?)

I nearly thought you meant Barney the....that evil childish thing which enslaved children's minds and freaked me out as a child as I'd run away from the I Love You song....:boohoo:

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
THAT Barney- ENTJ? ESFJ?... Sneaky, only becoming real when kids are alone- spending the rest of the time as a stuffed animal. Emotionally manipulative. And BOSSY. :laugh:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While we're at it what about Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt in As Good as it Gets? I think Jack Nicholson's character was an INTJ and Helen Hunt seemed to be some sort of NF, ENFJ, maybe?

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
While we're at it what about Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt in As Good as it Gets? I think Jack Nicholson's character was an INTJ and Helen Hunt seemed to be some sort of NF, ENFJ, maybe?

My all time fav... have watched it at least 20 times and still seeing new things.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My all time fav... have watched it at least 20 times and still seeing new things.

I'm like the Jack Nicholson character in many ways, although I'm not quite as conscientious of stepping on cracks. I do, however, say mindless things to help filter out intrusive thoughts -- like when Jack says "I hate the doggy, I hate the doggy" after finishing his novel. But I have various other obsessive-compulsive tendencies.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w

yeah very good example, wonderful movie. the kind of romantic comedy that guys can enjoy too thanks to the cynism of Nicholson.
I think Helen Hunt's character is an ENFJ, yeah. Maybe even irl.

nanashi

MBTI Type
INTJ
Can you think of any characters where the woman is the NT and the man is the NF? They are both so rare....just wondering.

YES, YES, please! I hunger for those movies. I'm an INTJ and a female, and it'd be nice to identify with the girl character and have the hots for tyhe character of the male.

What about Trinity and Neo in the Matrix? INTJ and ENFP???

nanashi

MBTI Type
INTJ
yeah very good example, wonderful movie. the kind of romantic comedy that guys can enjoy too thanks to the cynism of Nicholson.
I think Helen Hunt's character is an ENFJ, yeah. Maybe even irl.

I identified w/him soooo much. I watched that movie over and over again. :)