• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Is it possible to be an Introvert who is an ENFP?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think you're an enfp. i don't really analyze often what functions i'm using throughout the day but i know the enfp profile fits me more even if i don't feel like a typical extravert and after meeting my infp boyfriend i'm even more sure of that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, one thing I've noted about INFPs and ENFPs just on this forum (something that helped me) is outside of the stereotypes that ENFPs are more assertive/use more Te/are more forceful or outspoken...is that we can really lay on the charm when we want. INFPs seem to often complain about being not being noticed as much, ENFPs might have introvert tendencies, like spending a lot of time alone, but when we come out to shine, it's just a natural talent we have to engage people ... if we're immature or amoral we can even be total snakes. We have very little problem being flirty and laying on charm, or just intensely engaging other people. LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME. With some ENFPs they report it being effortless, even, like they're not even trying.

I think we NEED other people more too even if we don't want to be around them all of the time. Like I want external approval, and the tendency of INFPs I've observed to not weigh their Fi against any outer opinion, or logic sometimes gets on my nerves.

But I went through periods of social anxiety in my life, and that has nothing to do with introversion or extroversion.

I need stimulation and change too, like I would go absolutely mad locked in a white room with no other people or other external stimuli for a week. I think INxx types would be able to think or entertain themselves doing that for a short period of time.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ holy crap, a week? i'd probably go nuts within 24 hours

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah I work in a studio sometimes, and I sleep there occasionally - and I figured out I could use AIM - but I've stupidly locked myself in without my phone or AIM or vent for 24-48 hours before and it makes me INSANELY DEPRESSED. I get agitated and feel a sense of non-reality.

It's weird because I spend a lot of time on-line, but when I'm home I'm walking around or going outside, or even when I'm working on my editing I keep AIM on, sometimes vent, I'm always checking into Type C, sometimes go sit a coffee shop to do my work.

Usehername

On a mission
I need stimulation and change too, like I would go absolutely mad locked in a white room with no other people or other external stimuli for a week. I think INxx types would be able to think or entertain themselves doing that for a short period of time.

:yes: I'm pretty sure that simply by having a certain default way of being (in MBTI, the Ni dominance), I could outlast many other people without a lot of effort. Sort of like a very extraverted ExFJ being able to just energizer bunny their way through interpersonal situations one after the other. It's not that they're not a human that needs balance, it's that it's their default setting, so there's no wasted energy focusing on dealing with it.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
a lot of the attributes of INFP you guys have mentioned thus far sound more like me
1) I could SO stay in my room for a week as long as I had access to my tea collection and a computer and a phone (I could last 1-3 days without a phone, but not a week)
2) I consult others for information, but at the of the day, I don't care who approves of my decisions.
3) INFPs are much less merciful about their values being violated than other NF types

a have some ENFP listed here too
1) definitely outspoken and assertive
2) I don't deny logic the way it seems INFPs do
3) I love to talk to people a lot if they can carry a good conversation (but not small talk)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think the catch here is that you have to have a computer and a phone, dude. I have to not just have a computer, but computer access to certain people - like there is someone I talk to on AIM daily, another person I talk to somewhat regularly, and the kind of immediate interaction you get in vent, and occasionally on the forum. The fact that you think you could maybe only get through one day without a phone is telling in and of itself.

I like to go outside, and even if you don't share my love of the great outdoors, it seems like you need people.

I don't know - at the end of the day it's up to you. ENFPs seem to think we're introverts a lot though, and I'm definitely one of those until I did a lot of thinking and research and talking to others.

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
I too have read that ENFP's are the most introverted extrovert. It seems accurate as sometimes I like nothing more than being left alone in my quiet apartment to read, sleep, watch History International all by myself and not have to deal with anyone else.

I think it has to do with your company as well. I am seeing a ESFP guy at the moment and I turn into a HUGE introvert around him (like an INFJ or something). He is the one doing the talking and I am doing the STFU. He is the outgoing one in our pairing - by a long, long way. Now get me with my 2 ENFP girlfriends and none of us will shut up. You basically have to pry us apart to get us to stop gabbing.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I too have read that ENFP's are the most introverted extrovert. It seems accurate as sometimes I like nothing more than being left alone in my quiet apartment to read, sleep, watch History International all by myself and not have to deal with anyone else.

I think it has to do with your company as well. I am seeing a ESFP guy at the moment and I turn into a HUGE introvert around him (like an INFJ or something). He is the one doing the talking and I am doing the STFU. He is the outgoing one in our pairing - by a long, long way. Now get me with my 2 ENFP girlfriends and none of us will shut up. You basically have to pry us apart to get us to stop gabbing.

omg, you sound SO much like me! =P I had an adorable ESFP friend in high school that I had a crush on and I always turns Enneagram 2 INFJ around him. I never wanted him to shut up tho, I thought he was cute and funny and had a personality like a puppy and I would act like I wasn't paying attention so he would do things like tickle me or surprise me in some way. he was really sensitive too and sometimes he would feel down if people respond to him, so I'd give him a hug and make him feel better. he would always sleep in class too so I carred around a snuggie in my backpack and covered him up with it whenever he wanted to take a nap. lolz

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
omg, you sound SO much like me! =P I had an adorable ESFP friend in high school that I had a crush on and I always turns Enneagram 2 INFJ around him. I never wanted him to shut up tho, I thought he was cute and funny and had a personality like a puppy and I would act like I wasn't paying attention so he would do things like tickle me or surprise me in some way. he was really sensitive too and sometimes he would feel down if people respond to him, so I'd give him a hug and make him feel better. he would always sleep in class too so I carred around a snuggie in my backpack and covered him up with it whenever he wanted to take a nap. lolz

:hug:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I noticed today that I had a lot of ENFP traits that I was not previously aware of tho
1) I love to be the center of attention, but I usually do this by acting more introverted and I don't really like to "try" to be the center of attention
2) I walk with a crazy amount of swagger and didn't really realize it
3) I am usually the first to respond to a situation. I usually understand what someone is saying well before they're finished talking and they often don't think I'm listening to them (this only occurs sometimes tho. other times I take much longer and it throws people off) this could just be strong Ne tho. Ne has a tendancy to do this no matter what type uses it.