• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] When an introvert acts "extrovert", which cognitive function does he use?

j-zero

MBTI Type
INFP
Say, if an INFP (Fi Ne) behaves like an extrovert, or basically shows his extroverted side, which function will he use? Fe or Ne?

If Ne is my extroverted function, does it mean it's the function I'd use when I interact with the people around me?

On the other hand, Fi is the primary function, and really, F is the primary function, and it's Fi most of the time because I'm introverted, but when I interact with people, it's perhaps the extroverted side of my feeling function coming out, hence Fe.

Another way to phrase this, when an INFP tries to behave like an extrovert, does he become more like an ENFP (primary Ne) or an ENFJ (primary Fe)?

Or, what's the extroverted version an an INFP? is it the ENFP or the ENFJ?

Thoughts?

I'm leaning towards Ne .. because I can never match the levels of "lovliness" that ENFJs seem to hit all the time.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Ne. Or Te if doing it in a negative manner.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Based on my experience as an N-focused INTP, I find that:

1. My first natural line of connection with others is via Ne. I use it to extrovert, and I use it to emulate F.

2. My behavior can become similar to ENTP except that I've got a hard focus under the intuitive bounce rather than a more effusive one (introverts stay in their core or keep a grip on their core, they can emulate the externalness but never actually live there, the inner core is always examining and speculating on what's going on outwardly), and I eventually exhaust my energy and hard-crash. most of the ENTPs I know seem to feed off all the socializing and seem to truly bounce from topic to topic rather than necessarily trying to keep it all hooked together underneath.

On the other hand, Fi is the primary function, and really, F is the primary function, and it's Fi most of the time because I'm introverted, but when I interact with people, it's perhaps the extroverted side of my feeling function coming out, hence Fe.

Not really "hence." Whether you are interacting or not interacting with others is not what determines whether a perspective is Fe or Fi. The motivations that drive each are different. There have been some pretty intense threads on that topic recently, you should Search for them....

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
fi ne si and maybe little te

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
You don't use just one function at any given moment. It's always a combination of functions.

When I am extrovert-ing, I use Ne and I suppose resembles ENFPs in that I am playful, enthusiastic, light and happy. I don't like to get deeply into subjects if I deem it inappropriate/unnecessary. While it may be primary Ne, there's also Fe in there because Fe is standard for socializing with people. Fi is an internal judging function but that doesn't mean we can never externally express it. We express it and use it all the time. It's hard to break everything down to these functions.

Say I am meeting someone for the first time and am contemplating how to approach. I notice their vibe (Ne/Fi/Fe/Ni/Si), their physical appearance (Se), listen to their words, tone, hidden meanings, make predictions, make connections in my head, respond appropriately, choose what to share and what not to based on the data I have collected. Because I am Fi/Ne, I am extremely sensitive and aware of this data and hate saying anything that's redundant/inappropriate/awkward/stupid. Other types don't have this hyper-sensitivity. Their method and motive of communication is very different.

Instead of saying I use Ne to extrovert, it's more accurate to say extroversion feeds my Ne. Ne is my motive to talk to people and it explains why I like to keep it random, light and fun. I love to discover new things about people, to hear about new methods and share ideas, etc.

Random Ness

Yes, you use your Ne when you're acting extroverted. Not Fe. Thus you may seem like an ENFP when you are acting very social. Not ENFJ.