• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INTP's and NF's

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It's been said on the forums (by ENFP's) that INTP's don't even have to "try" - that just being ourselves, we will have a good time with them. I have found this to be true over and over again with ENFP's. Instant connection, great chemistry, etc. (at least initially). I've known 2 ENFP's that, after knowing each other for about 3 weeks, we knew more about each other than some people we've known all of our lives. It's just super smooth like that most of the time with ENFP's.

Is it the same with the other 3 NF types? I don't see why it would be much different with INFP's than it is with ENFP's, but maybe it is different? I've seen some INFP's on the forums say they love hanging out with INTP's, while I've seen others call us names and rant about us. :D

How about the NFJ's? I know Cafe (INFJ) is married to an INTP (love reading her posts about the interaction of the 2 types). But, overall is it a good connection and fun to hang out with INTP's at the beginning for you NF's? Obviously it gets more complex the deeper the friendships go (that's just human relations for you), but I'm mostly inquiring about the beginning of the friendship. Speak!

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think that the beginning is amazing. My closest friend through high school and college was an INTP, and I loved how she knew exactly what she thought about things and was so able to articulate it. Often, I agreed with her, but could just not articulate it. I liked her strength and certainty. Also, she was able to negotiate (or demand, because it wasn't always graceful) whatever she wanted out of a social situation.

It was a blast with our mutual friends, but whenever I took her out of that circle and we, say, traveled together or hung out with my friends, utter chaos would ensue. I don't know too many other INTPs in real life... so many of my friends whose types are known to me are NFs, so I don't know how to compare. I think she might just be someone who was too demanding / not diplomatic, and combine that with being female, and you'll turn most people off. We had a falling out though, over differences in viewpoints (social issues) and my unwillingness to debate them for extended periods of time.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I think I've known some pretty extreme INTPs guys. Although I'm not a girl (I don't know if you are approaching this strictly from a romantic angle), invariably they like me, because we tend to stand out as the weirdos in most crowds and I understand them better than most other people usually.

But shit some of them were borderline autistic. With one guy, I felt I really was his only friend in school, and in a year or so, no matter how much we talked, the conversation never got much personal at all from his end. He was clearly a loner, and that's ok. But he enjoyed talking with me a lot, and I with him, but I sensed he had problems in his life and a weird family environment and he never really confided anything in me and I never pushed for anything because his head might have exploded.

I went to this trance festival this summer, and I think I've met my share of INTPs theres. Shit, northern europeans INTPs are even more out there.

I mean, at least ENTJs have anger bottled up. INTPs are just fucking weirdos through and through. But I haven't met too many of them. And those I've have been cool, even though they didn't seem to value our friendship too much. Wouldn't go to great lengths at all to preserve it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's been said on the forums (by ENFP's) that INTP's don't even have to "try" - that just being ourselves, we will have a good time with them. I have found this to be true over and over again with ENFP's. Instant connection, great chemistry, etc. (at least initially). I've known 2 ENFP's that, after knowing each other for about 3 weeks, we knew more about each other than some people we've known all of our lives. It's just super smooth like that most of the time with ENFP's.

That's not an across-the-board thing.

I actually have some of my worst conflicts with ENFPs with strong values that don't match my rationalizations of the world. No kidding. I only have a few ENFP friends, the rest tend to really rub me the wrong way.

With INFPs and INFJs, it's a different matter. The INxx bond is very strong.

I like ENFJs but find them harder to read and thus tend to not get as close to them.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Depends on the NF. When their Fi/Fe is on fire and sears everything around them, they suck big time [to me]. Too much walking on eggshells for my tastes. When Ni/Ne are at the forefront, great fun times. I'm sure it's the same vice versa.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Depends on the NF. When their Fi/Fe is on fire and sears everything around them, they suck big time [to me]. Too much walking on eggshells for my tastes. When Ni/Ne are at the forefront, great fun times. I'm sure it's the same vice versa.

that makes sense, however, can't both happen in the same NF depending on when you catch them?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Usually the F or the N tends to dominate... there aren't a lot of swings in someone's normal persona except when they're under stress.
(And I can handle stress swings.)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Usually the F or the N tends to dominate... there aren't a lot of swings in someone's normal persona except when they're under stress.
(And I can handle stress swings.)

I think it depends on the person the NF is interacting with. If that person doesn't inspire trust the NF will react differently. He/she can more Fish towards that person, and Nish with everybody else. And vice versa.

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I agree with this.

For whatever reason I seem to make faster and more long-lasting connections with NFs (especially the N-heavy ones) than with other NTs. I tend to butt heads with other NTs a lot more often.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Too much walking on eggshells for my tastes.

stop doing that and you get rid of the nfs who you arent able to handle you. those who still stick around are the only ones who are worth being with

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
stop doing that and you get rid of the nfs who you arent able to handle you. those who still stick around are the only ones who are worth being with

Precisely why I don't do it. Fragile people are no fun to be around.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
exactly.

even to the point of being the complete opposite. who loves more stress to deal with?

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oftentimes, NFs. Heh.

oh, yeah. for people who supposedly don't like confrontation, for many of them, they seem addicted in the name of 'understanding'.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Precisely why I don't do it. Fragile people are no fun to be around.

Interesting. In my interactions with INTPs, I've felt they tend to scare easily so I try to regulate how much of my F-side they see. Even then I'll screw that up and either show too much F or not enough.

In the beginning, just getting to know INTPs is great. There's a very natural interaction and I get the feeling our communication styles sync well together.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's not an across-the-board thing.

I actually have some of my worst conflicts with ENFPs with strong values that don't match my rationalizations of the world. No kidding. I only have a few ENFP friends, the rest tend to really rub me the wrong way.

Ditto all of that. All three of the worst interpersonal conflicts of my life have involved ENFPs (note: this is not to say that I have something against ENFPs as a group; it just happens to be that way).

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Ugh stress. Yuck. I don't want any stress. Ever. Not this NF.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Usually Im not very responding to most people, I just try to do the pleasantries and the stuff you've learned when dealing with people. But in those rare instances I get comfortable with people and feel like sharing some of my own ideas, thoughts, wishes plans and so on, I get the vibe - when talking to most other types than NFs - that I in some way overwhelm them. I dont get that vibe from most of the NFs. I think INFJs and ENFPs, are the best at coping with this tidalstorm of info containing thoughts and emotions, I have a tendency to throw at them.