• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs (or NFs) and Enneagrams

Chloe

So theres no 3-7 hybrid? :( Oh well.

there is no hybrid
its more likely you are a 3 bc as Ne dom u relate automatically to 7.
they have very different motivations.

i also want to be the best, its often subconscious motive, as long as i feel i can be the best i feel good and i can be okay with not being always.. but i need to know there is possibility. when i realize i cant be the best it feels a bit treatening:D

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
Interest. I could go with that.

I think it stays in my mind because the description of 7's finding awe and beauty in everything in life is very relatable, and a part of myself I like a lot. Maybe that is the Ne talking, like you said though.

Thanks guys for the help! :)

Chloe

yeah, most people have no clue about enneagram on this forum. :doh: just look at the motivations.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Now you know how I feel on Socionics...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
If it helps any, I'm an 8. It seems as though ENFPs are 4's typically, with 7 a close runner up..

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
just look at the motivations.

Yeah, definitely this. Ennegram tests appear to be really unreliable.

every time i take them, i get 2 or 7 as a result because the questions aimed towards those types resonate with me. However, i know I'm a 1 because my life motivations are in line with those of 1s; consistency with my ideals, ethical perfectionism, etc. It's just that my ideals sound an awful lot like the descriptions for 2 or 7 so it throws it off.

Chloe

Yeah, definitely this. Ennegram tests appear to be really unreliable.

every time i take them, i get 2 or 7 as a result because the questions aimed towards those types resonate with me. However, i know I'm a 1 because my life motivations are in line with those of 1s; consistency with my ideals, ethical perfectionism, etc. It's just that my ideals sound an awful lot like the descriptions for 2 or 7 so it throws it off.

1 was written all over you in your video:D
in first minute i watched it i just said "that girl is 1" haha

actually just when you said that you repeat yourself a lot was enough + general vibe

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hey malkavia let's make a 3/7 hybrid type, i'm with you!! :laugh:

i'm pretty sure my trifix is 3w4 - 7w6 - 9w1

it's hard because i REALLY relate with 7 stuff like this:
tap3x.net said:
"The Generalist. The enthusiastic, productive type. Extroverted, optimistic, and spontaneous. Playful, high-spirited, practical, and accomplished, but can also be overextended, superficial, and undisciplined. Acquisitive, seeking constant stimulation, they distract themselves by staying on the go. Uninhibited, excessive, and self-centered. Can be infantile, demanding, and insensitive to others. At their Best: They focus their talents on worthwhile goals, becoming appreciative and joyous." - Don Riso, 1994, "The Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator".

The enlightened quality associated with the Type Seven (who is sometimes referred to as the 'Epicure') is the capacity for 'peak' experience. The term 'peak experience' was introduced by Maslow as a secular synonym for what, in religious traditions, are usually referred to as 'mystical' experiences (or 'transcendental experiences'). According to Maslow, peak experiences are especially frequent amongst a particular group of 'self actualizers' who are the epitome of human evolution and personal development. A peak experience is basically an experience in which the 'infinite' (alternately described as god, the divine, the mystery) is experienced in the finite. Formlessness is embodied in form (despite the paradoxical sound of such a thing). The universe is 'experienced in a grain of sand'. The utlimate experience according to one school of Tibetan Buddhism (the Karma Kagyu) is 'mahamudra', which can be described as a simultaneous experience of form and formlessness, extrinsic (object-oriented) and intrinsic (objectless) awareness. In Maslow's words:

The peak experience is felt as a self-validating, self-justifying moment which carries its own intrinsic value with it. It is felt to be a highly valuable - even uniquely valuable - experience, so great an experience sometimes that even to attempt to justify it takes away from its dignity and worth. As a matter of fact, so many people find this so great and high an experience that it justifies not only itself but even living itself. They prove it to be worthwhile. (Page 62, Religion, Values and Peak-Experiences)
What has been called 'unitive consciousness' is found in peak-experiences - there is a sense of the sacred glimpsed IN and THROUGH the particular instance of the momentary, the secular, the wordly. (Page 68, Religion, Values and Peak-Experiences) We need to teach our children unitive perception, the Zen experience of being able to see the temporal and the eternal simultaneously, the sacred and the profane in the same object. (Page 183, The Farther Reaches of Human Nature)

As the infinite can be equally expressed in multifarious forms, the Seven (who suspects that this is the case), naturally seeks and appreciates a wide variety of experience, cultivating a refined taste for a multitude of pleasures. The D-quality associated with peak experience is, of course, gluttony, the propensity to indulge oneself greedily, saturate oneself, fulfill one's desires to excess. A quest for peak experience can readily degenerate into a glut of 'spiritual materialism' about which we are frequently warned in the spiritual traditions.

SEVENS and ENs

7s are individuals who are continually on the outlook for new opportunities. They detect unborn future possibilities, not yet visible but present in seed form in 'the background of the situation'. The 7 is the extroverted intuitive par excellence, continually seeking out adventure in the environment. The prototypical 'ENTP' is similarly described as original, ingenious, operating by 'impulsive' energy. He/she is usually involved in 'a succession of projects', and is versatile, enthusiastic and 'full of ideas about everything under the sun' (p.106, Myers).

7s are similarly seen as enthusiastic (p. 82, Riso). They characteristically 'escape into the limitless possibilities of imagination' (p. 275, Palmer). 'There is a chemistry for peak experience, as if champagne, not blood, were running in the veins', according to Palmer. They are the creative ones who have learned to hone their intuitive skills, but as intuition and sensation are 'polar opposites', it is at the expense of the development of the sensory function that intuition is developed. They are

...so occupied with their creations that they cannot attend to the bringing out of their work. The work itself takes up so much of their energy that they cannot be bothered with how it should be presented to the world, how to advertise it, or anything of the kind. (p. 38, Von Franz)
It is the 7 whose attention is habitually '...attracted to fascinating ideas and dreams', making it very hard for them 'to slow the mind down in order to focus on a single point' (p. 297, Palmer).
This situation is similar to the one that the 'extraverted intuitives' [EN(F/T)P] - who also 'sow but rarely reap' - find themselves in. The inferior introverted sensing function is often manifest in a tendency to ignore the body. The intuitive does not know when he is tired or hungry. Indeed, 'If he is an exaggerated one-sided type he does not know that he has any endosomatic feelings' (p. 39, Von Franz). The 'gluttony' that is associated with 7s may, then, be but an attempt to experience the body by someone whose sensory functions are 'inferior'. It is not surprising that Palmer should similarly describe the gluttony of the seven as a 'bodily hunger' for excitement and experience (p. 298). She says,

Sevens say they are addicted to their own adrenaline. They love the rush of physical energy....

but then IRL i have a lot of 3 issues :D

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
1 was written all over you in your video:D
in first minute i watched it i just said "that girl is 1" haha

actually just when you said that you repeat yourself a lot was enough + general vibe

Haha yes, i recall :)

Petra i know your thoughts on wings but I'm curious about your thoughts on tri-types? I've been trying to get more into ennegram and i got some interesting results when I checked those out. i figured this thread is as good as any to ask...

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
From reading this a 2w1 SO/SP is strange for an ENFP then?

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
hey malkavia let's make a 3/7 hybrid type, i'm with you!! :laugh:

i'm pretty sure my trifix is 3w4 - 7w6 - 9w1

it's hard because i REALLY relate with 7 stuff like this:

but then IRL i have a lot of 3 issues :D

Glad to see there is someone feeling to same way. :)

3+7 for the win!

CleanCuteNFP

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
huh?
I JUST THOUGHT THAT I SHOULD LET ALL OF YOU KNOW THAT I DIE A LITTLE INSIDE EVERY TIME I SEE ANOTHER ONE OF THESE ENFP AND [INSERT RANDOM ASS GAYNESS ABOUT GAYNESS] THREADS. YOU ARE ALL EMBARRASSING US.

~YOUR LOCAL AMATEUR COBOL PROGRAMMER

Chloe

Haha yes, i recall :)

Petra i know your thoughts on wings but I'm curious about your thoughts on tri-types? I've been trying to get more into ennegram and i got some interesting results when I checked those out. i figured this thread is as good as any to ask...

I agree with Helen Palmer about tritype: as 1 IMO your would be 1-4-7 or 1-7-4, depending or your healthiness level.
she explained it on type 3 example here:http://www.ennea.com/articles/palmer.htm

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
my professional sources say that 7 (45%), 3(20%), 4(25%), 1(5%) are most common types for
enfp. i guess 3 sounds way ofd but maybe 3 is rarer on the internet in general?! bc net is often timewasting to a 3.

I'm 7w8 so. But I tested very strong in 3. And, I don't fully get the enneagram either so I am glad to find this thread.

3+7 = 10. So we should call the 3/7 hybrid a 10. Ha ha!

We need thestateiamin on this thread. She is awesome when it comes to bringing in enneagram stuff into mbti discussions.

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I agree with Helen Palmer about tritype: as 1 IMO your would be 1-4-7 or 1-7-4, depending or your healthiness level.
she explained it on type 3 example here:http://www.ennea.com/articles/palmer.htm

thanks for this link! It's great, especially the history, very interesting :yes:

I'm gonna PM you a little later with some more questions if you don't mind...I'm still trying to figure out some of this stuff and i'd rather not hijack this thread :laugh:

Chloe

I'm 7w8 so. But I tested very strong in 3. And, I don't fully get the enneagram either so I am glad to find this thread.

3+7 = 10. So we should call the 3/7 hybrid a 10. Ha ha!.

You had 3-ish vibe to me at first, I even asked you are you type 3.. but later i figured u vibe much more like a 7.
3s and 7s both appear to like themselves a lot. Think this is why some 7s appear 3-ish, while 3s think of themselves as 7s because out of all etypes 3s have the biggest trouble recognizing themselves in their type; for several reasons like: "everybody is like that!"-culture is totally 3-based so you think you are not the only achievement oriented person; but actually when i compare myself to 80% people, not 3s, i can see i take achievement much srsly than most. And because 3s have identity as main issue so can confuse themselves for other types if it flatters them or think they are expected to be like others. Among ENPs I've seen 3s who believed they are 5s and 7s mostly. Sometimes 9 bc of disintegration and NF 3s regurarly mistype as 4s and 2s.
Anyway, the way 7 likes herself is different than the way 3 does... you seem to like yourself in 7's way:)

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
To the OP, I have 2 things to say.

1. Understand that enneagram isn't like MBTI. MBTI asks 'what are your mental processes' whereas enneagram asks "what is the most important thing in this individual's life" or "what is this guy constantly seeking". Very different approaches. Therefore, don't ask how you can combine the 7 with the 3, ask what is the most important thing in your life.

2. i had this EXACT problem before lol. Yep, I had 7 and 3 as my most common type suggestions too (based on tests). Then I found this article that fits the situation perfectly. Changed my life. DEFINITELY read it. We aren't the same person, so it may not be the same for you, but yeah, here you go:

http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/2007/12/new-4w3-vs-7w6-misidentifying.html

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Another 7w6 here. I took me forever to figure out my enneagram type...

... and I'm not american...