• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] is my friend an ENFP?

Sunny Ghost

i'm trying to type someone. this girl claims she is an ENFP, but for some reason i keep leaning more towards xSFP.

i'm somewhat familiar with this person but i wouldn't say the best of friends. whenever it's just me and this girl, though i am the claimed introvert, i feel much more talkative than her. however, she's a very reaffirming type of person. she definitely keeps engaged, from what i can tell, as well. she's very cutesy and makes a lot of cutesy noises. she's very smiley. definitey an xxFP, there's no doubt about that. she's stylish, in an indie, rebellious, hippy, punk type of way. she recently got a new tattoo, but when i asked her what prompted her, she seemed a bit more withholding as to why she decided on her tattoo. in my other experiences with ENFP's, a question like that would have prompted a thirty minute explanation of the profound symbolism it held for them. this particular girl, however, simply responded in, "i've just wanted it for a long time." which sounded more like an ISFP response. ;) the meaning is there, but we feel we lack the ability or sometimes even energy to explain. she's a bit of a hippy, runs around barefooted a lot. she'll go days without showering.
another quality of ENFP's that i've noticed, is that they are generally very smart, and often intellectual people. and they never really give off a pompous or show offy vibe when it comes to their intellect. maybe in art... ;) but never intellect. however, with this particular girl, i feel that when topics of politics or philosophy come up, that she feels a need to appear smart. (i am in no way making judgments, simply observing.) i feel like this is more of an ESFP realm of reaction to "smart" topics. (not that ESFP's aren't smart, but rather in my general experience, perhaps insecure due to how they are generally perceived.)
this girl, however, can be a bit "attention" craving. in large groups, she'll often be very loud, sometimes even screaming. usually seen quoting things from movies or shows, or just in general making cute noises. but not so much conversing. she's more of a joker and a fun-girl.
i came to her with one of my own personal exboyfriend/new girlfriend, but still friends issues. she went on about how i need to play the "cool" girl, and how that was basically her motto with dealing with those sticky situation-be the cool girl. i felt like this wasn't really NF advice, but perhaps more in the realm of ESFP?

what do you ENFP's think? or those of you who know ENFP's well.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
none of the things you've pointed out really disprove ENFP for me. i think NF's are capable of getting a tattoo just because it looks cool rather than the meaning (although she maybe just didnt feel like sharing? i don't know) or trying to impress people and sound smart.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This person does not seem like an ENFP to me. I cannot relate to any of her behaviour at all, rather, I would probably exhibit the expected "ENFP behaviour" you've experienced before. However, another possibility is that she may not consider you to be very close to her? Do you think that could be the case?

ilovelurking

MBTI Type
INFJ
This person does not seem like an ENFP to me. I cannot relate to any of her behaviour at all, rather, I would probably exhibit the expected "ENFP behaviour" you've experienced before. However, another possibility is that she may not consider you to be very close to her? Do you think that could be the case?

^ That's the reason why I asked for the age.

Sunny Ghost

me and this girl aren't terribly close, but have known one another for a while. she's just very different from other ENFP's i've known. and i've known quite a few. she's quieter than the typical ENFP. most ENFP's i've known will talk on end, and do seem to swallow air a lot as they do so. she could just be a bit more balanced on the E/I spectrum... that's a possibility. i also feel as though she talks from experience more so than imagination... if that makes any sense. she's 22, i believe. she will go on about stories that showcase her rebelliousness. she seems very concerned with her image and how others perceive her. but that could just be Fi. however, she pretends as though she doesn't care. but her whole, "just be the cool girl" thing is what i suppose does it for me... she was in jail for a day not too long ago, and seemed to turn the event into a party and an experience as opposed to being distraut (sp?) about the situation. this seems more in the realm of xSFP than xNFP.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The way you describe her in the OP doesn't sound too much different from me when I was younger, and usually when people ask me about my tattoo, I sometimes get annoyed and don't want to tell them a story so I don't give any meaning.

However, the way you describe ENFPs talking so much that they're "swallowing air"...I don't know that all ENFPs are like that, and I certainly am only like that with someone I feel a strong connection too and they also talk a lot...like my ENFJ best friend from high school or my ESFJ ex...and that might have a lot to do with them being more extroverted than I am as ExFJs hmmm....

Plus, the one time I went to jail for driving with a suspended license it totally traumatized me, I certainly wouldn't have turned it into "a party."

I can't really say.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I know I'm such a bad person.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
i'm trying to type someone. this girl claims she is an ENFP, but for some reason i keep leaning more towards xSFP.

i'm somewhat familiar with this person but i wouldn't say the best of friends. whenever it's just me and this girl, though i am the claimed introvert, i feel much more talkative than her. however, she's a very reaffirming type of person. she definitely keeps engaged, from what i can tell, as well. she's very cutesy and makes a lot of cutesy noises. she's very smiley. definitey an xxFP, there's no doubt about that. she's stylish, in an indie, rebellious, hippy, punk type of way. she recently got a new tattoo, but when i asked her what prompted her, she seemed a bit more withholding as to why she decided on her tattoo. in my other experiences with ENFP's, a question like that would have prompted a thirty minute explanation of the profound symbolism it held for them. this particular girl, however, simply responded in, "i've just wanted it for a long time." which sounded more like an ISFP response. ;) the meaning is there, but we feel we lack the ability or sometimes even energy to explain. she's a bit of a hippy, runs around barefooted a lot. she'll go days without showering.
another quality of ENFP's that i've noticed, is that they are generally very smart, and often intellectual people. and they never really give off a pompous or show offy vibe when it comes to their intellect. maybe in art... ;) but never intellect. however, with this particular girl, i feel that when topics of politics or philosophy come up, that she feels a need to appear smart. (i am in no way making judgments, simply observing.) i feel like this is more of an ESFP realm of reaction to "smart" topics. (not that ESFP's aren't smart, but rather in my general experience, perhaps insecure due to how they are generally perceived.)
this girl, however, can be a bit "attention" craving. in large groups, she'll often be very loud, sometimes even screaming. usually seen quoting things from movies or shows, or just in general making cute noises. but not so much conversing. she's more of a joker and a fun-girl.
i came to her with one of my own personal exboyfriend/new girlfriend, but still friends issues. she went on about how i need to play the "cool" girl, and how that was basically her motto with dealing with those sticky situation-be the cool girl. i felt like this wasn't really NF advice, but perhaps more in the realm of ESFP?

what do you ENFP's think? or those of you who know ENFP's well.

NONE of this has anything to do with type. These are all behaviors. Behaviors are enneagram. MBTI looks at thought processes. Sure, certain types may have trends in behaviors, but the chance that any one behavior would apply exclusively to one type (much less an individual of that type) is too low to be of any use.

...Seriously? She doesn't elaborate on why she got the tattoo and you're going to use that to acertain her type? Don't even bother typing another person... people have a hard enough time typing themselves.