• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] What's INFP logic like?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Well what's INFP logic like?
Describe your analytical and emotional conclusions in relation to your logic system?

What I mean by that is how do you come to conclusions, what is the process behind your ability to make these conclusions valid in your mind. How do you know your intuition and emotional deductions are matching your systematic conclusions you have about the world around you?

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is a horrible question insofar as it demands the respondant to put words to feelings/concepts which exist better aside from the restrictive qualities of language. In any case, I'm going to try to answer this question as best I can! :)

[H]ow do you come to conclusions, what is the process behind your ability to make these conclusions valid in your mind[?]

The inherent problem posed by this question is explored by Søren Kierkegaard in Fear & Loathing. His response is that faith is ultimately the concept used as justification for belief (in his work he is talking about religious faith, but I think the broader definition of faither applies to most other subjects).

I think people with a T preference would tend to reject F conclusions because they seem irrational and are based on "hunches". I would say that this is true only inasmuch as this forms the first step in the decision-making process. How I feel about something is a strong indicator to me about how I should think about it, since I "think with my feelings", so to speak. However, it would be wrong to say that (in my case) a hunch was the formation of an entire system of belief. Rather, it would be more accurate to say that a dialectical process is involved, particuarly a sort of Hegelian Dialectic.

For example, the dialectic may occur like this:

1. I think Progressive taxation is a good idea because it means the most disadvantaged in society are given a greater chance of experiencing that which is available to the most priviledged.

2. However, some people have worked hard for their money, and feel resentful about giving to those who may just be feckless, lazy, or ungrateful. The pursuit of a good salary would entail a raise in living standards for the person who seeks it.

C. Although there are those who would certainly abuse the system, the tax money received and redistributed would offer opportunities to those who wouldn't have them under another system. Therefore, I feel the premise is justified, but a true synthesis of the problem would entail that the rich not be penalised unfairly simply for having money - it may be the case that they were born rich, and the poor were born poor and there is nothing inherently "wrong" about either circumstance.

This makes things "valid" to me because I feel like I have considered things from all angles and weeded out those arguments which I feel are important/unimportant. Many decisions in life (inc. politics, which I used merely as an exampe) are propounded as being logical but are in fact more "feeling-based" than first imagined.

How do you know your intuition and emotional deductions are matching your systematic conclusions you have about the world around you?

The short answer would be that I feel that they match.

Logic and intuition are not necessarily complete opposites, hence the prevalence of terms such as "emotional intelligence" - there is a grey area which exists between the two notions. However, I am able to perceive when something that I feel to be right might be too hardline, or would not fit in with the "systematic conclusions", as you have termed them, I have drawn about, say, the society in which we live. I mean, ultimately I think humans would prefer in to exist in an anarchist state (do what you want when you feel like it) but that wouldn't work for us now so is not worthwhile pursuing as a line of intellectual consideration or personal belief (well, not in my opinion...). The population is simply too great for that to work and, besides, we have already created so many socio-political structures that it would be counter-productive simply to destroy them all. Therefore, I look to my feelings/beliefs again and analyse how they relate to the situation at this moment. This is what generates many of the hours in which I need to be alone in order to contemplate. It is a massive frustration because, as I see it, the world operates in a self-denigrating manner; I feel as though the beliefs I have regarding many abstract concepts would be of betterment to the world if they were implemented, but I know they won't be. There is, therefore, a constant recalibration between myself and the external world which explains a lot about my character, and probably about the characters of a lot of other INFPs.

I hope I've answered your questions at least somewhat. They were difficult to contemplated because they were so vague, but I get the feeling that you intended them to be that way! :D

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
My logic do not make sense to me. It is as Adasta said hunches.. I tend to plan things so that many people benefit it...
When I know I have to make a decision where I might upset someone my emotions go beserk and I start my crying and hitting things. God, I am even getting upset now because I cannot describe it. Logic for me is what is proven and what make people happy? If I clean the kitchen I will make my parents happy, it is logic. I do not make sense, do I?
:shock:

E

Epiphany

Whenever I take the time to explain my thought process, I'm often accused of being overly analytical. When I don't bother to explain my reasoning, some people think my conclusions don't make sense.

I know that doesn't answer the OP's question, but I would need a specific context.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Considering words are not adequate enough to fully explain my reasoning, I'll use a picture instead.

supernova_3.jpg

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I tend to leave a few steps out of the conversation, thinking that they are obvious, so my conclusion seems from outer space..this is especially true when talking to someone who doesn't understand people at all, like all of the members of my family.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This is a horrible question insofar as it demands the respondant to put words to feelings/concepts which exist better aside from the restrictive qualities of language. In any case, I'm going to try to answer this question as best I can! :)

I hope I've answered your questions at least somewhat. They were difficult to contemplated because they were so vague, but I get the feeling that you intended them to be that way! :D

Oh yeah I am most certainly wanting to expand on this and correlate my own thoughts however my mind has become most uncooperative in expression and there is going to be a slight delay in my interpretation. So far I wanted to say, your answer awesome! And yes to vague. :)

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I tend to leave a few steps out of the conversation, thinking that they are obvious, so my conclusion seems from outer space..this is especially true when talking to someone who doesn't understand people at all, like all of the members of my family.

Would you be willing to expand on these conclusions that seem from outer space?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Whenever I take the time to explain my thought process, I'm often accused of being overly analytical. When I don't bother to explain my reasoning, some people think my conclusions don't make sense.

I know that doesn't answer the OP's question, but I would need a specific context.

A specific context...uh...you got me there. How about explaining your thought process and analytical process in relation to how you interpret thoughts and emotions and how you rationalize them?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My logic do not make sense to me. It is as Adasta said hunches.. I tend to plan things so that many people benefit it...
When I know I have to make a decision where I might upset someone my emotions go beserk and I start my crying and hitting things. God, I am even getting upset now because I cannot describe it. Logic for me is what is proven and what make people happy? If I clean the kitchen I will make my parents happy, it is logic. I do not make sense, do I?
:shock:

Okay how about describing your emotional response to logic? Would you need to access a part of your emotional intelligence to rationalse emotional logic in such a way that you can think from your heart more than from your mind?

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Considering words are not adequate enough to fully explain my reasoning, I'll use a picture instead.

supernova_3.jpg

This. This is my logic. It is pure logic and nonsense all at once, an explosion of thoughts, half formed sentences and ideas and just, god, i don't even know what.

It makes perfect sense to me though =)

Oh. and this...
Okay how about describing your emotional response to logic? Would you need to access a part of your emotional intelligence to rationalse emotional logic in such a way that you can think from your heart more than from your mind?

I LOVE logic.

In any instance where i am having an emotional response to a situation and i can't think my way out of it, logic is what i need the most at that time. It's the reason i turn to my INTP dad for advice (nice, rational, logical advice) over my ESFP mum's emotional response to the situation.

There is already one of us in an illogical emotional mess, it doesn't need another person contributing.

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm gutted that I'm the only one that actually attempted a deconstruction of INFP logic! :thumbdown:

Come on guys; don't cop out!

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I also make jumps sometimes (N) but try to follow simple but effective lines of reasoning. If I tend to fail in any logic, it will usually be common sense logic. I like tackling big questions but these generally see no day to day use, unless I find people willing to discuss them. Stuff like not putting my foot in my mouth over everyday situations can sometimes be hard to avoid because I don't have much experience (finances, life-planning, navigating the job field, dealing with certain establishments, etc.) Once I get the in and outs of something I can more easily apply logic to them.

I don't relate to using what feels right or relying on gut alone. I do listen to these two things at all times but I feel it's dangerous to let them lead you around blindly. How I would instinctively react to something plays more of an advisory role than an executive one.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Synapse
Is there room for chaos theory in that supernova? :D
Well of course! :D There is a method to my madness, a certain unseen logic to my chaotic reasoning.

Originally posted by Nijntje
This. This is my logic. It is pure logic and nonsense all at once, an explosion of thoughts, half formed sentences and ideas and just, god, i don't even know what.

It makes perfect sense to me though =)
So true.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Disclaimer: Depends on subject

If I know the subject "well" or I've discussed it frequently my thoughts will be very easy (for me) to explain and while it's not always linear it is logical.

If I'm asked to give my opinion on something I haven't thought about recently I "think" I know the answer, without really knowing why. When I'm asked to explain myself it is only through the act of going through my memories/mind that I even understand it myself. I'll often grab info from several different parts of my mind and slap them together, because as I'm searching they "seem" relevant. It's like the reason/ing only forms just as it is about to leave my mouth. It's almost like having lil epifanies as I'm talking. It's like Ne and Si are on overdrive gathering up infos and checking in with Fi for quality assurance.

I often don't even know what I "really" think about something until I talk about it and toss some ideas around through the above process that I "learn" what it is that I really feel/think about a subject. The subject matter affects this, but just about everything is a work in progress in my head and as such subject to refinement.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I wouldn't say my logic is anything less than other people's. It is just that the logical process is less valuable than the value that the logic is defending. And my belief in logic is a lot more relative than my belief in my principles. I think that logic is a tool that can be used for many purposes, and it can be used from different perspectives. It can also be used to refine the values, and I think it should be used that way, but that's only up to a certain limit. If I valued logic more than the principles, then my valuation of logic would become the ultimate value, which would be too onesided.

mrconfusion87

MBTI Type
INFP
INFPers usually, when presented with several points of view on a single fact, usually pick the POV that makes most sense at the innate level. Usually is kinda an automatic process. At least that's what I tend to do! :p