• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP brain explained

Sioul

MBTI Type
ENFP
So I was talking to my INTJ friend this weekend about our heads, our thoughts, how our brains work differently and I came up with a really good analogy to try and help people to better understand my ENFP brain (atleast I think it's a good analogy).

My friend explained to me that for him, every thought every action, every event has a specific relation to something else. His world is relatively logical and sequential. Event A happend to me today and I felt B. Then event C happend and I felt D. For him, A will only ever relate to B, and C will only ever be related to D. In his world everything is grounded, its weighted down: A will never relate to D.

In my world, it's as if I'm in space and there is no gravity. There is no weight to anything. So if Event A made me feel B and event C made me feel D, D and B are now just emotions floating around that seep into anything and everything they can get their hands on. They might mix with other events or combine together with other emotions. I find it really hard to be able to seperate and put into context where everything else originated from. All I am left with at the end of an intense day is a muggy view of a world filled with drifting bits of feelings and moods that attach themselves to everything else in my head.

This world is amazing when filled with lush happy feelings, because my mood is elevated exponentially: everything is intertwined so it seems like my experiences are further heightened.

Don't know how any other ENFP's or NF people relate to this but this was the best description that I could come up with.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I didn't really understand but I can tell you my world does have gravity. It's called Fi. :)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Very true. I can very much relate. It's the Ne. This is what FiTe is for though. Learn it, use it, and catalogue those emotions with Te after judging their worth with Fi. Then tie them off. It'll help you stay grounded. Fun part of it is...you can decide not to when it's good emotions and build on that. Or you learn to use emotions from one event to boost your emotional strenght in another.

Start small though ;)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sioul said:
They might mix with other events or combine together with other emotions. I find it really hard to be able to seperate and put into context where everything else originated from.
It's the Ne. This is what FiTe is for though. Learn it, use it, and catalogue those emotions with Te after judging their worth with Fi. Then tie them off. It'll help you stay grounded.

yes!!

i agree with you, sioul, and i like satine's system. experience emotion/feeling, judge value, classify it and analyze its usefulness, and then either choose to keep it around because it's lovely and/or helpful, or choose to ditch it because it doesn't need to apply.

i had a really shitty situation the other day (someone screwed me over very badly for no reason other than her own incompetence and selfishness) that i tried to work like this with. i was angry and hurt afterwards, and i went for a bike ride to distract my mind, felt the wonderful endorphin surge, and at that point looked at the situation again and judged that it sucked and i was rightfully pissed off, but there was no sense in being down about it. i still associate anger with that woman and that event - which i plan to deal with calmly but firmly when i see her again - but i'm not gonna let that negativity seep over into everything else. i don't deserve emotional baggage because of someone else's injustice. :tongue10: (nor does anyone else i interact with! had to tell my mom i couldn't talk with her until after my bike ride... i just would have yelled...)

Sioul said:
This world is amazing when filled with lush happy feelings, because my mood is elevated exponentially: everything is intertwined so it seems like my experiences are further heightened.
Satine said:
Fun part of it is...you can decide not to when it's good emotions and build on that. Or you learn to use emotions from one event to boost your emotional strenght in another.

:yes:

i love that word, "lush".

is it ridiculous that i sort of think of the patronus charm from harry potter when i hear this?

HarryPatronusPoA.jpg

Sioul

MBTI Type
ENFP
Very true. I can very much relate. It's the Ne. This is what FiTe is for though. Learn it, use it, and catalogue those emotions with Te after judging their worth with Fi. Then tie them off. It'll help you stay grounded. Fun part of it is...you can decide not to when it's good emotions and build on that. Or you learn to use emotions from one event to boost your emotional strenght in another.

Start small though ;)

Wow Satine, what a concept huh? I've never thought about this that way, wouldn't it be great if I did learn to let my Te jump in when it had to, and tuck it away when I'm experiencing something amazing and positive? If I could only manage to do this, I would look at my whole ENFP scenario as more of a blessing and less of a curse... haha

So how did you manage to be able to do this? It's so hard for me to use my Te when my Fi has already decided what something is worth...are there some techniques that you have employed or was it more of a maturing thing.

i love that word, "lush".

is it ridiculous that i sort of think of the patronus charm from harry potter when i hear this?

HarryPatronusPoA.jpg

I don't think it's ridiculous at all :) this is close to the reference image in my head when I'm talking about having your emotions drift everywhere without any control.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Beautiful description, I can definitely relate. I am floating without anchor in a sea of possibilities and emotions.

For Ni (and a lot of 'normal' people) ... A+B is Always C.
For me ... A+B can be C, D, E, F, G, H, I, a combination of two...anything anything, everything.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
it is a fabulous analogy, i hadnt noticed that about myself until now

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
So I was talking to my INTJ friend this weekend about our heads, our thoughts, how our brains work differently and I came up with a really good analogy to try and help people to better understand my ENFP brain (atleast I think it's a good analogy).

My friend explained to me that for him, every thought every action, every event has a specific relation to something else. His world is relatively logical and sequential. Event A happend to me today and I felt B. Then event C happend and I felt D. For him, A will only ever relate to B, and C will only ever be related to D. In his world everything is grounded, its weighted down: A will never relate to D.

In my world, it's as if I'm in space and there is no gravity. There is no weight to anything. So if Event A made me feel B and event C made me feel D, D and B are now just emotions floating around that seep into anything and everything they can get their hands on. They might mix with other events or combine together with other emotions. I find it really hard to be able to seperate and put into context where everything else originated from. All I am left with at the end of an intense day is a muggy view of a world filled with drifting bits of feelings and moods that attach themselves to everything else in my head.

Don't know how any other ENFP's or NF people relate to this but this was the best description that I could come up with.

It took me a couple of readings to understand what you were saying but once I did it reminded me of something I just noticed about myself. :hug:

My life was just one big, fuzzy blur. All my emotions would get into anything I did. I am a moody person but sometimes the bleeding of emotions is just not good. Especially when you can't even identify where the emotions came from in the first place. It's madness.

When I had to force myself to sit down and think about what was going on with me that's when the patterns and causes became clear. I don't know what function that's exercising but writing stream of consciousness style helped me get a grip. Literally, I have a much better grasp on my emotions. It's not as great as other peoples' but it's working for me. Clarity is a beautiful thing.

Sioul

MBTI Type
ENFP
Beautiful description, I can definitely relate. I am floating without anchor in a sea of possibilities and emotions.

For Ni (and a lot of 'normal' people) ... A+B is Always C.
For me ... A+B can be C, D, E, F, G, H, I, a combination of two...anything anything, everything.

I'm curious as to why you related normal people to Ni? I lead with my Ne, I always thought that Ne was more of a normal thing because your making sense of all these patterns and big picture patterns in an external way, they have no way of spiralling into something else completely unrelated in my head...

Sometimes for me A+B = 1.4678 and 2 red bunnies :)

It took me a couple of readings to understand what you were saying but once I did it reminded me of something I just noticed about myself. :hug:

My life was just one big, fuzzy blur. All my emotions would get into anything I did. I am a moody person but sometimes the bleeding of emotions is just not good. Especially when you can't even identify where the emotions came from in the first place. It's madness.

When I had to force myself to sit down and think about what was going on with me that's when the patterns and causes became clear. I don't know what function that's exercising but writing stream of consciousness style helped me get a grip. Literally, I have a much better grasp on my emotions. It's not as great as other peoples' but it's working for me. Clarity is a beautiful thing.

I can relate to this completely. If I am overwhelmed with a feeling, then that one feeling will dominate over everything....Events or occurences that have nothing do do with that feeling become completely tainted and washed in it's colour. We should both probablly take the advice earlier of learning to let our Te come in and make sense of it all and try and put all the pieces back in place...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's not such the great thing that our predominant feeling at the time colors everything else...just yesterday i was stressed about something and read some comment on here from someone and responded all tebitchslap style kinda haha...like just kinda mean really...and then for some reason reread it which i never do before posting...and read his comment again and was like...oh wtf they didn't really say what i thought they said and i just let em have it for nothing... so i didn't post it...totally weird...doesn't happen often...normally it's the opposite...like i'm in a really good mood so i'm really hard to piss off even if the situation warrants it...or i will get mad at someone but can't stay mad because my mind goes to the next thing so quickly and i can't hold onto different emotions at the same time....or something...am i just rambling?

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
That doesn't make any sense to me. Too lazy to reread it also. I may try to later.