• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs - How do you handle knowing so much?

Chill

MBTI Type
INFP
nolla: Hmm... it's hard to tell without knowing any specifics... but if they are not going to ruin the rest of their lives with it or something, then it should be ok to try and keep discrete about advices. Maybe the question is, can you live with the fact that things do happen and you didn't do anything to stop it? And are the people you are talking about going to tolerate you telling them what to do? There are risks either way, I guess...

Eckhart: I don't know, do I really know so much about other people? ^^

Nah, I just keep things for myself. If someone wishes my opinion, then he will get it, otherwise I won't force myself on someone usually. When I was younger I might have had a bit more problems with it.

nanook: it also makes a difference who you are. if you are your ego, you are not the wisdom. people want the wisdom but they feel your ego shoving it into their faces .... and that causes their ego to react, instead of causing their wisdom to take in yours. this problem can't be solved by handling, it requires a much deeper letting go.

Before reading these^^^, I thought to myself, "I'm too drained to even talk about it anymore."

After reading, I thought, "Law of attraction". Your words have just given me justification for a closure on this issue.

On both occasions, a close friend was and has been involved. Different people. Both occasions, they're dating total jerks, so darn clear to me, but oh not so much to them. I literally witness their minds being manipulated and it's so irksome and frustrating cos I see the whole thing as if I'm a hardcore fan of their soaps! I have very valid reasons to call them jerks. The truth kept chasing after me, filling me with worries and making me feel as if I have a duty to fulfill.

The first was 2 and a half years ago, I took a drastic action, long story short, we're almost good again - but only after 2 and a half years!

The most recent one, learned from the first, taking a non-violent approach which seems to mean my pulling off a 'don't know, don't care' stunt, don't know what will happen, as I said, don't know, don't care, though still always wondering if I'm making the right move.

You guys are right. I have to mind my own business, partly because I'm exhausted, but mostly because this time I intuit less favourable results relative to the energy expended.:doh:

My brain wants to rest now, my soul yearns for peace, I shall take heed and just be, just be.

I'm off to piggy wonderland! Goodnight! :D

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
When I sense my Ne arrogance lurking I think "what would an ENFJ do"? And then proceed.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
When I sense my Ne arrogance lurking I think "what would an ENFJ do"? And then proceed.

I go with INFJ, because ENFJs can come across as bossier or more presumptious themselves.

INFJs - at least mature ones - seem to have marvelous tact and have the ability to lead by example rather than preaching (ENFJ) or confrontation (ENFP) or whatever it is that you INFPs do...I honestly didn't realize this was much of a problem for INFPs, unless their own values had been stepped on.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
Ask questions that will lead the person to their own conclusion. If you get answers you don't expect, believe it becuase you probably don't know quite as much as you think you do. If the person doesn't want to talk about it, let it go and let them find their own way.

Sincerly,
Recovering "Preachy" ENFJ

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
simple, pretend i know nothing and let them figure it out. and I usually do know nothing, so it works on two levels.

I'm not infp but this is what I do with one slight variation I ask seemingly inane questions to hint at what I think they're over looking. If you appeal to logic, you can open them up a bit.

But sine I'm not an infp I can be aggressive, self righteous etc., but I don't like unloading that on people so I try to be as tight lipped as I can be.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
On both occasions, a close friend was and has been involved. Different people. Both occasions, they're dating total jerks, so darn clear to me, but oh not so much to them. I literally witness their minds being manipulated and it's so irksome and frustrating cos I see the whole thing as if I'm a hardcore fan of their soaps! I have very valid reasons to call them jerks. The truth kept chasing after me, filling me with worries and making me feel as if I have a duty to fulfill.

I guess that's the usual scenario. Unfortunately the chances are that you won't be able to convince them leaving the relationship, and if you try too hard they will drop you instead. But, you can think of it another way around. They will probably need you when they see that there's something wrong. Personally, I tend to stand back as long as it doesn't get dangerous, but frankly I think that they can sense me disapproving it. The douches usually keep their distance from me... which is kinda funny since I really am not actively trying to make them uncomfortable.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
haha this thread sounds so pretentious.

i get it though. sometimes people are dumb and/or in denial. and/or desperately trying to hide something that's obvious. but still, if they haven't gone through the journey of obtaining that knowledge firsthand, maybe they'll "know" it after you tell them, but they won't understand it. they'll be left with lingering suspicions and doubts. and maybe you really don't have a full idea of what's going on and are just going to set everyone wrong.

basically i think all you can do is use that knowledge to prepare yourself to help that person where they're going to need help. to be honest, it's our individual prerogative to see and understand and "own" our individual strengths and weaknesses, and they're not others' to interfere in or interpret. might as well spend any leftover energy not dedicated to helping out that other person where you can to self improvement instead.

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I don't really handle it because I don't know so much.

I really don't think I know anymore than the next person, and a lot of times, I know less. Sometimes what I think I know is way off mark in reality.

Last edited:

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
I tend not to know things.
I know of rubbish. like Celebrity gossip. I know who was in that movie with those actors. Unuseful!

Chill

MBTI Type
INFP
nolla: The douches usually keep their distance from me... which is kinda funny since I really am not actively trying to make them uncomfortable.

LOL!!! Indeed what I have encountered! And indeed ironically funny~~~

skylights: might as well spend any leftover energy not dedicated to helping out that other person where you can to self improvement instead.

Well said, skylights!!! I have recently been aware of my tendency to use up my energy to the point beyond lethargy before I decide that I've done all I could possibly sanely do and then finally have a swig of beer to mark the beginning of an end. :doh:

Manis

MBTI Type
INFP
I think we have a lot more respect for a person's right to their own mindset than most other types seem to. Inevitable I guess considering how much we value our own. It's futile and dangerous to push people in a direction that isn't natural for them since everyone 'knows best', but if we understand that most of our bad decisions are the result of a lack of self-awareness and knowledge of our own motivations then we can help people out by gently steering them onto the path towards gaining that knowledge. That's what I try to do, though it's never been all that successful.