• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP as a Filmmaker

Danbenyo

MBTI Type
INXP
Enneagram
Hi,my name is dan and im an INFP :hi
For the last year ive been fantasizing and dreaming (as a typical INFP) about me becoming a film director. I think about it most of the day(Scripts, ideas, Camera angles, Shots and more...) I visualize for hours dreams and "scripts". Now i just joined film class in high school. Ihave great fate in me but i still a little insecure because first of all I cant drawn and I think its highly realative to direct a movie, the aesthetic part of the job is the one who worries me' but who knows.

So what do u think- INFP as filmakers- UPS AND DOWNS?

Last edited by a moderator:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I studied directing at university, which although it was a fabulous learning experience, it really didn't work out. I'm sure there are INFP directors but as a type, we are certainly not naturally suited to such a role. There are certain personality requirements to be a director and I was lacking in all the major areas. I ended up gravitating towards editing which fulfilled a lot of the aspects I liked about directing but in a less stressful environment. I'm still trying to pursue this career...

Sorry, this sounds like I'm trying to dissuade you. Did you mean you're bad at drawing? This certainly isn't a requirement for becoming a director. Many of the directors who heavily storyboard can't draw to save themselves and often do little more than stick figures to demonstrate their shot. Being able to visualize a shot in your head is the main thing. Also not all aesthetic skills are directly connected; being bad a drawing doesn't mean you would be bad at cinematography.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I am also trying to make some sort of a career in editing. I've had some trouble:

1) I can't deal with people pressuring me to do it fast fast fast. I'm too much of a perfectionist.

2) I have a habit of saying yes, which causes stress because I will take too many projects at once, or too much responsibility.

3) I am too proud. I don't like routine jobs, so it is hard for me to stay in one place long enough to get somewhere with it.

But, anyways, I think that I am pretty well equipped for the job. I can read people well, read the actors' performances. I can see possibilities on the timeline quite easily, I've often been able to "save" some projects because of this improvisation I do with the material. I also have a good hunch about what works and what doesn't.

Danbenyo

MBTI Type
INXP
Enneagram
I studied directing at university, which although it was a fabulous learning experience, it really didn't work out. I'm sure there are INFP directors but as a type, we are certainly not naturally suited to such a role. There are certain personality requirements to be a director and I was lacking in all the major areas. I ended up gravitating towards editing which fulfilled a lot of the aspects I liked about directing but in a less stressful environment. I'm still trying to pursue this career...

Sorry, this sounds like I'm trying to dissuade you. Did you mean you're bad at drawing? This certainly isn't a requirement for becoming a director. Many of the directors who heavily storyboard can't draw to save themselves and often do little more than stick figures to demonstrate their shot. Being able to visualize a shot in your head is the main thing. Also not all aesthetic skills are directly connected; being bad a drawing doesn't mean you would be bad at cinematography.
Thanks fo the comment!
Ill realy appreciate it if u write the goods and bads of an INFP director :)

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
I don't know INFPs that well, but I would believe that if you are a perfectionist, that would be something that could be held against you because you have someone elses money that youre working with and if you take too long to set up shots, make final decisions, and be happy with a final shot, then that could be something bad

you have to be vocal and direct to get the job done, you need to be able to work with all different personality types and not be a push over

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I am also trying to make some sort of a career in editing. I've had some trouble:

1) I can't deal with people pressuring me to do it fast fast fast. I'm too much of a perfectionist.

2) I have a habit of saying yes, which causes stress because I will take too many projects at once, or too much responsibility.

3) I am too proud. I don't like routine jobs, so it is hard for me to stay in one place long enough to get somewhere with it.

But, anyways, I think that I am pretty well equipped for the job. I can read people well, read the actors' performances. I can see possibilities on the timeline quite easily, I've often been able to "save" some projects because of this improvisation I do with the material. I also have a good hunch about what works and what doesn't.
Ugh, these are some of the biggest problems with INFPs dealing with employment in general. Sucks so much...

Thanks fo the comment!
Ill realy appreciate it if u write the goods and bads of an INFP director :)
OK here are the qualities every director needs to have.

Stuff INFPs are great at
Strong aesthetic skills
Problem solving skills
Leading by example
Creativity
Knack for empathy and understanding emotional complexity
Passion for storytelling

Stuff INFPs struggle with
Assertiveness
Decisiveness
Coping well in high pressure situations
Mental clarity
Organizational skills
Complete confidence in his/her abilities
Strong verbal communication skills
Very good interpersonal skills (ie. dealing with actors and crew)
Handle criticism well (in terms of film school training in particular)
The ability to network with and ass kiss important people
A strong unwavering drive for success (although INFPs can have this)

There's probably a lot more but that's all I can think of right now. :)

Last edited:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Stuff INFPs are great at
Strong aesthetic skills
Problem solving skills
Leading by example
Creativity
Passion for storytelling

Assertiveness
Decisiveness
Coping well in high pressure situations
Mental clarity
Organizational skills
Handles criticism well (in terms of film school training in particular)
A strong unwavering drive for success (although INFPs can have this)

That seems pretty complete list. I might add one thing that makes the difference for me. The reason I want to be in this business is to create something, and I don't need to be a director to feel satisfied in my work. I feel like editing is as important part, even though it is not on top of the food chain. I enjoy getting other people's vision in the final form. I basically get my fix by editing, so I don't need to be a director and take all those negative things that come with the job.

Danbenyo

MBTI Type
INXP
Enneagram
Ugh, these are some of the biggest problems with INFPs dealing with employment in general. Sucks so much...

OK here are the qualities every director needs to have.

Stuff INFPs are great at
Strong aesthetic skills
Problem solving skills
Leading by example
Creativity
Passion for storytelling

Assertiveness
Decisiveness
Coping well in high pressure situations- I got one of those maybe beacuse of my ADD
Mental clarity
Organizational skills
Handles criticism well (in terms of film school training in particular)
A strong unwavering drive for success (although INFPs can have this)- I dont know about others INFP but success seems like the only hope.
There's probably a lot more but that's all I can think of right now. :)
Thx man!
I agree with most of the things. :jew:
but I think if u wont give up and give up your best fight U can conqur all of those struggles. ;)

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I think if u wont give up and give up your best fight U can conqur all of those struggles. ;)

Sure you can. But be sure to go in supermotivated, that will be the biggest obstacle when you are there in the reality of making movies. I know I would not have any trouble if I was saving lives with this... but since I'm not, it seems more important for me to live comfortably than be stressing all the time...

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
That seems pretty complete list. I might add one thing that makes the difference for me. The reason I want to be in this business is to create something, and I don't need to be a director to feel satisfied in my work. I feel like editing is as important part, even though it is not on top of the food chain. I enjoy getting other people's vision in the final form. I basically get my fix by editing, so I don't need to be a director and take all those negative things that come with the job.
This is the exact same conclusion I came to! I even use those same phrases to explain it. Get out of my head! :shock:

Also, I love how editing has a much more intuitive flow going on. Its so much fun to feel a story out, in contrast to the more structured and contrived processes of many of the other creative jobs in the industry. :yes:
Thx man!
I agree with most of the things. :jew:
but I think if u wont give up and give up your best fight U can conqur all of those struggles. ;)
Absolutely. I wasn't passionate enough about it to struggle over the hurdles. But I think that if you truly love it enough you will find a way to deal with the difficult stuff.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
This is the exact same conclusion I came to! I even use those same phrases to explain it. Get out of my head! :shock:

Hah! :jew:

Also, I love how editing has a much more intuitive flow going on. Its so much fun to feel a story out, in contrast to the more structured and contrived processes of many of the other creative jobs in the industry. :yes:

Yeah, I know... it seems to be a perfect task for Ne-Fi... the talent in it comes from somewhere almost unconscious, you can just look at the material and get a feeling how the material wants to be cut. Mysterious stuff... :smile: What I am struggling with is explaining my choices to other people. I can't just say "because I feel like it"...

Danbenyo

MBTI Type
INXP
Enneagram
the truth is I dont know exactly what I want to do in a future but my direction is the film industry. For me editing its more crafting the matrial u get' making the shape, I agree it feet like a glove to a INFP. But I steal want to get out there and inspire pepole witth ny movies just like im inspired evrey day, reflecting my own uniqe view.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Hmm... I wonder how close your experience is to mine. See, I always wanted to express something too, but it seems to me that this can't be done in the business world, so I needed to separate my hobby from my job. So, I now paint as a hobby and try to get in the business of editing. I could never do painting as a job because I can only do it when inspired and if I was a director I'd have the same problem. I would also consider my work art and this would make me an impossible person to work with. I don't think I could make the necessary sacrifices and compromises.

Danbenyo

MBTI Type
INXP
Enneagram
Hmm... I wonder how close your experience is to mine. See, I always wanted to express something too, but it seems to me that this can't be done in the business world, so I needed to separate my hobby from my job. So, I now paint as a hobby and try to get in the business of editing. I could never do painting as a job because I can only do it when inspired and if I was a director I'd have the same problem. I would also consider my work art and this would make me an impossible person to work with. I don't think I could make the necessary sacrifices and compromises.
I dont think that the experience is even close but im only 15 :D
I really identifies, but thr virus is already in me, every thing I expirence, see, Think- leads me to thinking how I can make it inot film. 7 times a minute I think about Movies, Ideas, Directing,Etc...
Maybe it will pass. Ill be happy if u share some of ur experience with art and the buissnes world. :hifive:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Ill be happy if u share some of ur experience with art and the buissnes world.

Well, usually the people paying for the job are not very creative. They want a mainstream product. The artistic value of the product is not a priority at all. Of course it needs to look good, but if you want to invent something new, you'll have to sneak it in the mainstream product. I'm sure this has been the problem with art since the first cave paintings :smile: I hate to sound like an elitist, but it seems to me that in reality not many people can spot the inventions in art, and even if they can see them in the final product I'm sure very few would grasp it when the product is being designed.

Danbenyo

MBTI Type
INXP
Enneagram
U couldnt descirbe it better, all the great movies and director had to "sneak it in the mainstream product". But there is more then that. i quote tarantino:"If u do a kickass movie U wiil get noticed, if not in the US so in the fucking planet earth"

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hi,my name is dan and im an INFP :hi
For the last year ive been fantasizing and dreaming (as a typical INFP) about me becoming a film director. I think about it most of the day(Scripts, ideas, Camera angles, Shots and more...) I visualize for hours dreams and "scripts". Now i just joined film class in high school. Ihave great fate in me but i still a little insecure because first of all I cant drawn and I think its highly realative to direct a movie, the aesthetic part of the job is the one who worries me' but who knows.

So what do u think- INFP as filmakers- UPS AND DOWNS?

I'm the same way! I've always wanted to make movies, ever since I was little, before I knew what a director was XD

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP filmakers:
Hayao Miyazaki
George Lucas
Tim Burton