• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Ted Mosby is an INFP?

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Apparently Ted Mosby, from How I met your mother, is an INfP - weak f, but I actually see a resemblance between him & myself(from the facts below).

It says on his wiki that he's a perfectionist, chases his ideals/"dreams", is fluent in sign language, is a "poetry buff", hates when his friends don't appreciate his interests, etc etc..

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
My original thought is ISFJ. He strikes me as traditional in his ideals and conservative in manners. What kind of a Perceiver, Ne-aux sticks with one vision of the future. Also, what kind of an INFP would remember everything in excrucating detail? I don't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday. My Si is god-awful. It could be just the show idea and has nothing to do with this character but ... it's something to take into consideration. He's hard to type.

He could be INFP, but to me, he's more likely ISFJ. ISFJs can be very dreamy, very perfectionist, enjoys poetry and fancy-classy hobbies/interests. They want stability, someone to love, and take their commitments very seriously.

I see INFPs as more flimsy, more dreamy, more out-there, more uncertain about the future and what they want. Our Fi-Ne constantly takes in information and is thrilled by possibilities.

Ted is rigid in planning out what he wants. My close friend is ISFJ and we are similar in some ways. It's hard to say who Ted is fundamentally.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My original thought is ISFJ. He strikes me as traditional in his ideals and conservative in manners. What kind of a Perceiver, Ne-aux sticks with one vision of the future. Also, what kind of an INFP would remember everything in excrucating detail? I don't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday. My Si is god-awful. It could be just the show idea and has nothing to do with this character but ... it's something to take into consideration. He's hard to type.

He could be INFP, but to me, he's more likely ISFJ. ISFJs can be very dreamy, very perfectionist, enjoys poetry and fancy-classy hobbies/interests. They want stability, someone to love, and take their commitments very seriously.

I see INFPs as more flimsy, more dreamy, more out-there, more uncertain about the future and what they want. Our Fi-Ne constantly takes in information and is thrilled by possibilities.

Ted is rigid in planning out what he wants. My close friend is ISFJ and we are similar in some ways. It's hard to say who Ted is fundamentally.

sorry for the late reply...

but I guess 'one vision of the future' in his case is 'the ideal future', - an INFP sticks with that I think.

I actually can remember things that I want to remember, my memory isn't really that bad, my imagination sometimes even empowers the detail in my memory. I don't think Ted is very 'rigid in planning' what he wants, he's more of a person that can't decide what he wants, - because he's always changing topics/opinions throughout the storyline, it could be that he has more Te, as male INFPs are usually like that for some reason.

But I can agree on that ISFJ thing, he does act like and ISFJ, but maybe it's just his pursuits that are alike to an INFP.

So Ted = ISFJ?:doh:

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
i kinda thought ENFP in the beginning seasons but I think he's kinda changed over time, I could agree with INFP

Lifesmanifesto

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Ted- NF

I think ted is definitely an NF-idealist. he's a true-love and fate obsessed, a passionate and intelligent architect. Unlike SP-artisan barney, he takes meaning in relationships. He often gets frustrated with his friends intolerance of his pretentiously large words and reciting poetry- how many sensing types appreciate poetry or use abstract words, it's very out of their concrete nature. His desire of security and those specific details in his dreams and visions (having which in the first place is very N-like) would be out of a preference for judging (being thorough) and not sensing, making ted an INFJ? This type is not flimsy or uncertain
Sorry i found this like a year after the conversations climax but i just rewatched them all on netflix and it got me thinking

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'd agree with INFJ, - but wouldn't hurt to say he's ISFJ either. They both sound plausible... I'd say ISFJ myself since he seems a bit more concrete than INFJ characters I've seen on TV like Book from Firefly for example.

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ted Mosby is so clearly intuitive I'm surprised the idea of him being a sensor is still being discussed. I can remember several moments that made me smile because of how intuitive he was acting. Think of when he bought that dilapidated old house because he saw what the house could be instead of what it was. He isn't really detail oriented at all, he seems to prefer letting someone else handle the little things and so he can dream on the big scale. I think he's really attracted to sensors because there's that big difference in their personalities. My guess is INFP as well, he's just got very strong Si.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I say infj did he report himself as an infp?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He is hard to type..my guess is that he's some type I have very little knowledge of. Maybe he's isfj or infj. I only know a couple girl versions.

He does seem a bit too dreamy for an isfj... From my understanding anyway.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
ted mosby is so annoying. he's like late 20s in the show, and what?
he grows up to sound like bob saget? did his voice not change yet?
or he hasn't hit puberty?

ugh i hate this show.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also, what kind of dude goes around bragging to his kids about all the chicks he banged before their mom? : D

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
One thing I am sure is he is NOT an INFP. He is probably a ISFJ. Very safe to say IFJ.

In all reasons I didn't see him once having a Fi monologue or conversation. Marshal had plenty of them.

Ted is not a Fi user.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISFJ-who likes to muse philosophy once in a while?

INFP is only coming from the bad stereotypes; like, yes we are all "hopeless romantics" :dry:

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I find none such throughout the whole site.

Fourth row below "INFJs in popular culture" and his name is Josh Radnor. He's right next to David Schwimmer, from Friends.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fourth row below "INFJs in popular culture" and his name is Josh Radnor. He's right next to David Schwimmer, from Friends.

Ah thank you. Didn't realize we were talking about a fictional character. :doh: