• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Fe Door-Slam v. Te Bitch-Slap

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have heard a lot of people talking about the Fe Door-Slam and the Te Bitch-Slap. I'm curious what the differences are, so I would like to ask for a comparative analysis of both.

From the outside it looks the same, but I am sure there are some slight nuances, and in an attempt to learn more about type, I think it would be useful to know.

Thanks. :)

KDude

For me, I think if it's gotten that bad, I speak my mind/voice my criticism, but I'm just disgusted enough that I don't want to be in the same room with them afterwards (replace "room" with anything "present"). There are too many issues that I don't feel like dealing with, and the Fe criticism was to let it be known that I was disgusted (this is rare.. I'm not much into permanent doorslams). I'm probably not the best person to answer.. I tend to see where people are coming from and end up finding a compromse. From what I can tell though, it's letting the other person know how serious you are, that you've almost given up. It may improve after both people take a break.

Te is not really interpersonal related.. If it was tossed out on to another person, it's specifically to get someone to do something. A bitchslap in order to mobilize. They have no problem moving on if they got what they wanted, and being in that person's presence afterwards. "Nothing personal, just business" kind of thing?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it's pretty simple. When Fe door slams you, it stops talking to you. Cuts you off. You can give someone a Te bitch slap and still maintain communication. Also, while Fe door slam might be painful, I think Te bitch slap seems a lot "meaner."

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think if the Te bitchslap is forceful enough, it will ensure the deployment of the Fe doorslam, perhaps never to be revisited.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Having been the recipient of both.. I can say the INFJ doorslam is much more cruel and effective..In comparison a Te bitchslap is like eating Hagen Daas
French Vanilla ice cream.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
when used against the same type - ie bitchslap a Fi or doorslam a Fe - i think they're not that big of a deal. i can take a bitchslap - i'll send one right back at you and an hour later we'll be fine. i haaate being doorslammed.

when used against the opposite type, it's just a downward spiral of bad times and misunderstanding.

[back with more post later]

KDude

If I offended you, I'm sorry about that. Honestly, even though I typed it quickly, I was trying to be fairly neutral. :blush: I have Te friends, so I have nothing against it necessarily.

Often, I find that even Te dom isn't meaning to "slap" anyone. Sometimes it could come across that way merely in their phrasing - and only that. It could be difficult if people aren't used to it, but the problem there is just communication style, which can be worked through.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
when used against the same type - ie bitchslap a Fi or doorslam a Fe - i think they're not that big of a deal. i can take a bitchslap - i'll send one right back at you and an hour later we'll be fine. i haaate being doorslammed.

when used against the opposite type, it's just a downward spiral of bad times and misunderstanding.

[back with more post later]

Dang, girl, your original post was really good! Put it back!

KDude

You wouldn't believe how long it took me to cohabitate and understand though.. Both of my parents and brother are Te, along with some friends growing up, coaches, a few teachers, etc.. I always ended up rebellious, fighting it off. Whether I'm Fe or not, for the longest time, I would say it felt like my Fi struggling against it. I mean, I just felt like a "generic F" relatively speaking. And I wouldn't necessarily bundle a Fi type like ESFP or ENFP with Te (although they are Te, to be fair. It's just not the same as having an ESTJ military dad who resembles Lee Marvin or a tough Asian mom who resembles the landlady from Kung Fu Hustle :D).

rav3n

The Fe Door-slam is passive-aggressive which is antithetical to the Te bitch slap, which vents aggression and is usually over and done with, post aggression. One generates resentment where the other flushes it out.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
For me, I think if it's gotten that bad, I speak my mind/voice my criticism, but I'm just disgusted enough that I don't want to be in the same room with them afterwards (replace "room" with anything "present"). There are too many issues that I don't feel like dealing with, and the Fe criticism was to let it be known that I was disgusted (this is rare.. I'm not much into permanent doorslams).

can you define "disgusted"?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
The Fe Door-slam is passive-aggressive which is antithetical to the Te bitch slap, which vents aggression and is usually over and done with, post aggression. One generates resentment where the other flushes it out.

Well, the other INTENDS to flush it out. It doesn't always get the result it wants, and might engender resentment on the other side.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

actually, i'd normally agree completely with you, but after reading so much on the Fe-Fi thread and given my own recent experiences i think that maybe from different perspectives they both do the same thing.

kinda like...

Te bitchslap
- flushes resentment by getting out aggression
- generates resentment by making the other person feel hated

Fe doorslam
- flushes resentment by giving each person space and time to cool off

i think it has so much to do with the directionality of our functions. for Fi/Ne/Si/Te, the bitchslap works great because we get our inner emotions out, we can see them logically, and then we're done. for Fe/Ni/Se/Ti, the doorslam works better, because they protect themself from doing something they may regret and have time to access Ti without emotional disturbance, and then can come back later when they're ready.

but to Fi the doorslam is awful because while we're trying to set things right again we get shut out, possibly permanently for all we know, and for Fe the bitchslap is awful because it's a barrage of negativity directed towards them that they can't stop or hide.

rav3n

actually, i'd normally agree completely with you, but after reading so much on the Fe-Fi thread and given my own recent experiences i think that maybe from different perspectives they both do the same thing.

kinda like...

Te bitchslap
- flushes resentment by getting out aggression

Fe doorslam
- flushes resentment by giving each person space and time to cool off

i think it has so much to do with the directionality of our functions. for Fi/Ne/Si/Te, the bitchslap works great because we get our inner emotions out, we can see them logically, and then we're done. for Fe/Ni/Se/Ti, the doorslam works better, because they protect themself from doing something they may regret and have time to access Ti without emotional disturbance, and then can come back later when they're ready.

but to Fi the doorslam is awful because while we're trying to set things right again we get shut out, possibly permanently for all we know, and for Fe the bitchslap is awful because it's a barrage of negativity directed towards them that they can't stop or hide.
That's an interesting perspective and something for me to consider, so thanks. I've also been following that thread but since it's more from an NFs perspective, there were certain concepts that weren't applicable to a Te-dom.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Can you explain? And I'm sincerely interested.

Well, when it gets to the point where the Te user feels the need to air everything out in a bitchslappy sort of manner, it kind of feels like being attacked by a pit bull in the name of fixing the relationship. But it doesn't feel conciliatory (to an Fe user)--it feels like emotional dumping plus accusations in order to make the Te(Fi) user feel better. And if it involves the Fi user saying lots of (what we'd deem) nasty things in order to get our attention that they might not really mean, it could very possibly and likely cause resentment in the Fe user, because we work really hard at NOT intentionally saying things that would hurt someone we care about, even in the heat of the moment. Especially in the heat of the moment. So in my mind, the fullblown Te bitchslap backfires, because it makes me feel badly towards a person that I feel attacked me, when I would have been happy to hear them out if they'd approached it calmly, and I wonder if the harsh stuff they said is how they REALLY feel about me. I always wonder why they couldn't have brought it up before it got to that level of urgency, when I would have been receptive.

KDude

can you define "disgusted"?

Nope. It'd be easier giving you stories in the cases it's happened. I'll spare you though, and just say "doorslamming" has only happened in the case of females and closer friends.. people I either find it hard to be too harsh with or expected more from. I voiced my opinion, but I was at a loss for awhile. That's all it was. For the most part, I'm usually taking a step back and seeing some other point of view with people. It has to be pretty serious to get to this.

If you think I can't bitchslap though, I've done it literally. I've slapped one guy, choked another, slammed another's head into a wall, knocked people out, had to fend off multiple people, and slapped down all of them. I'm not a badass or anything (I don't want to sound like I'm saying it for that reason)..I'm sure there are other people at this site who've done some of this.. What's ironic to me though is the one I suspect that shares a similar history is Juice - another NFJ. Either that, or he was trying to be an ISTP in his youth and me an ESTP. :hi: Either way, I don't characterize myself with passive-aggression necessarily. I prefer to regulate things with "F"/Fe (regulate sounds mechanical, but I mean, I strive for that), but I've been known to do other things. I don't know what "function" it was. Self-defense, rage, etc..

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's an interesting perspective and something for me to consider, so thanks. I've also been following that thread but since it's more from an NFs perspective, there were certain concepts that weren't applicable to a Te-dom.

oh yeah! sorry, i was only thinking in the context of Fi and Fe. but you're welcome.

i imagine your ENTJ bitchslap is masterful in comparison to mine :worthy:

rav3n

Well, when it gets to the point where the Te user feels the need to air everything out in a bitchslappy sort of manner, it kind of feels like being attacked by a pit bull in the name of fixing the relationship. But it doesn't feel conciliatory (to an Fe user)--it feels like emotional dumping plus accusations in order to make the Te(Fi) user feel better. And if it involves the Fi user saying lots of (what we'd deem) nasty things in order to get our attention that they might not really mean, it could very possibly and likely cause resentment in the Fe user, because we work really hard at NOT intentionally saying things that would hurt someone we care about, even in the heat of the moment. Especially in the heat of the moment. So in my mind, the fullblown Te bitchslap backfires, because it makes me feel badly towards a person that I feel attacked me, when I would have been happy to hear them out if they'd approached it calmly, and I wonder if the harsh stuff they said is how they REALLY feel about me. I always wonder why they couldn't have brought it up before it got to that level of urgency, when I would have been receptive.
Thanks for your explanation. I hear you.

The bolded area is where it's most difficult for Te-doms. It feels like walking on egg-shells to hold back the intensity of Te-Fi. Intensity that builds when it's being restrained.

When we experience the Fe-door slam, in the silence, we have no idea what's going on since there's no communication. It might be nothing or something. Add in wonky Fi and Ni going crazy with the possibilities and hopefully, you can see how this would be similar to a pressure cooker.