• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote

Jaguar

"The human mind's ability to grasp higher realities is denied or ignored by conventional science. Standard science is a dead end because it analyzes experience into discrete pieces. The human mind —and particularly the mind of the physicist—has an overwhelming need to impose categories on experience. As a result, the seamless web of physical reality is divided into separate events that seem to occur only side by side or in different parts of time and space."

— David Bohm

Beorn

Permabanned
"There are, it seems, two muses: the Muse of Inspiration, who gives us inarticulate visions and desires, and the Muse of Realization, who returns again and again to say "It is yet more difficult than you thought." This is the muse of form. It may be then that form serves us best when it works as an obstruction, to baffle us and deflect our intended course. It may be that when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work and when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."

-Wendell Berry

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn

Permabanned
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
"If you admit that you are wrong then I'll admit that I'm right"

S

Sniffles

"...the spiritual disorder of our time, the civilizational crisis of which everyone so readily speaks, does not by any means have to be born as an inevitable fate; that, on the contrary, everyone possesses the means of overcoming it in his own life. And our effort should not only indicate the means, but also how to employ them. No one is obliged to take part in the spiritual crises of society; on the contrary, everyone is obliged to avoid the folly and live his life in order."
— Eric Voegelin, Science, Politics, And Gnosticism

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Moomin can easily see himself as the Groke. She is a creature that ruins everything she wants to be a part of, drives away those she wants to approach.

Tove Jansson

Virulence

MBTI Type
INFJ
"Everyone has a complex life, and so it's very hard for me to paint with that big broad brush when you see just what people go through on a daily basis." - Henry Rollins

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
‎"You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you."

S

Sniffles

It is not wrong to want to live better; what is wrong is a style of life which is presumed to be better when it is directed toward 'having' rather than 'being.'
-Pope John Paul II

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Lost and Found

I am looking for the photo that would make all the difference in my life. It’s very small and subject to fits of amnesia, turning up in poker hands, grocery carts, under the unturned stone. The photo shows me at the lost and found looking for an earlier photo, the one that would have made all the difference then. My past evades me like a politician. Wielding a fly-swatter, it destroys my collection of cereal boxes, my childhood lived close to the breakfast table. Only that photo can help me locate my fourteen lost children, who look just like me. When I call the Bureau of Missing Persons, they say, “Try the Bureau of Missing Photos.” They have a fine collection. Here’s one of Calvin Coolidge’s seventh wedding. Here’s one of a man going over a cliff on a dogsled. Here’s my Uncle Arthur the night he bought the prize peacock. O photo! End your tour of the world in a hot air balloon. Resign your job at the mirror-testing laboratory. Come home to me, you little fool, before I find I can live without you.

Maxine Chernoff

G

Ginkgo

"Paradox is a pointer telling you to look beyond it. If paradoxes bother you, that betrays your deep desire for absolutes. The relativist treats a paradox merely as interesting, perhaps amusing or even, dreadful thought, educational."

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To the Mistakes

You are the ones who
were not recognized
in time although you
may have been waiting
in full sight in broad
day from the first step
that set out toward you
and although you may
have been prophesied
hung round with warnings
had your big pictures
in all the papers
yet in the flesh you
did not look like that
each of you in turn
seemed like no one else
you are the ones who
are really my own
never will leave me
forever after
or ever belong
to anyone else
you are the ones I
must have needed
the ones who led me
in spite of all
that was said about you
you placed my footsteps
on the only way

W. S. Merwin

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold on to him and give him the most you can.
He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you."

Bob Marley

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Most of the big shore places were closed now and there were hardly any lights except the shadowy, moving glow of a ferryboat across the Sound. And as the moon rose higher the inessential houses began to melt away until gradually I became aware of the old island here that flowered once for Dutch sailors' eyes - a fresh, green breast of the new world. Its vanished trees, the trees that had made way for Gatsby's house, had once pandered in whispers to the last and greatest of all human dreams; for a transitory enchanted moment man must have held his breath in the presence of this continent, compelled into an aesthetic contemplation he neither understood nor desired, face to face for the last time in history with something commensurate to his capacity for wonder.

And as I sat there brooding on the old, unknown world, I thought of Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy's dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn, and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under the night.

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further... And one fine morning -

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"And you may ask yourself:
What is that beautiful house?
And you may ask yourself:
Where does that highway go to?"
- Talking Heads

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
"I've put a lot of nails in the enemy coffin, more than my fair share - I ask you to do the same."

- James Clavell - (Noble House p. 978)

S

Sniffles

"Those of us who want to maintain the sanity of our minds must therefore recognize the time has come in the evolution of consciousness: we must begin thinking, not about ideas, but about thinking iself."
-John Lukacs