• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
elusive and filled with trickery

The Chinese considered the moon to be yin, feminine and full of negative energy, as opposed to the sun that was yang and exemplified masculinity. I liked the moon, with its soft silver beams. It was at once elusive and filled with trickery, so that lost objects that had rolled into the crevices of a room were rarely found, and books read in its light seemed to contain all sorts of fanciful stories that were never there the next morning.

Yangsze Choo, from The Ghost Bride

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
cheap grace

In a 2008 essay in the journal In Character, history professor Wilfred McClay writes that as a society we have twisted the meaning of forgiveness into a therapeutic act for the victim: “[F]orgiveness is in danger of being debased into a kind of cheap grace, a waiving of standards of justice without which such transactions have no meaning.” Jean Bethke Elshtain, a professor at the University of Chicago Divinity School writes that, “There is a watered-down but widespread form of ‘forgiveness’ best tagged preemptory or exculpatory forgiveness. That is, without any indication of regret or remorse from perpetrators of even the most heinous crimes, we are enjoined by many not to harden our hearts but rather to ‘forgive.’ ”

Emily Yoffe, from What Do Grown Children Owe their Terrible, Abusive Parents?

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And when at last you find someone to whom you feel you can pour out your soul, you stop in shock at the words you utter— they are so rusty, so ugly, so meaningless and feeble from being kept in the small cramped dark inside you so long.

Sylvia Plath

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
“It’s dark because you are trying too hard. Lightly child, lightly. Learn to do everything lightly. Yes, feel lightly even though you’re feeling deeply. Just lightly let things happen and lightly cope with them. I was so preposterously serious in those days, such a humorless little prig. Lightly, lightly – it’s the best advice ever given me. When it comes to dying even. Nothing ponderous, or portentous, or emphatic. No rhetoric, no tremolos, no self conscious persona putting on its celebrated imitation of Christ or Little Nell. And of course, no theology, no metaphysics. Just the fact of dying and the fact of the clear light. So throw away your baggage and go forward. There are quicksands all about you, sucking at your feet, trying to suck you down into fear and self-pity and despair. That’s why you must walk so lightly. Lightly my darling, on tiptoes and no luggage, not even a sponge bag, completely unencumbered.”

― Aldous Huxley, Island

Puffypolma

Bizarre Love Triangle
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I always quote the last sentence of James Joyce's Araby to express my complicated feelings regarding my dreams/fantasies being crushed.

"Gazing up into the darkness I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with anguish and anger."

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"You can't fall if you don't climb, but there's no joy in living your whole life on the ground."

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The effort to be a self is its own end

Preemptive personalization is seductive only because of the pressure we experience to make our identities unique — to win the game of having a self by being “more original” than other people. That goal stems in part from the social media battlefield, which itself reflects a neoliberal emphasis on entrepreneurializing the self, regarding oneself as leading an enterprise, not living a life. If “becoming yourself” was ever a countercultural goal, it isn’t anymore. (That’s why Gap can build an ad campaign around the proposition “Dress Normal.” Trying to be distinctive has lost its distinction.) It’s mandatory that we have a robust self to express, that we create value by innovating on that front. Otherwise we run the risk of becoming economic leftovers.

Yet becoming “more unique” is an impossible, nonsensical goal for self-actualization: self-knowledge probably involves coming to terms with how generic our wants and needs and thoughts are, and how dependent they are on the social groups within which we come to know ourselves, as opposed to some procedure of uncovering their pure idiosyncrasy. The idea that self-becoming or self-knowledge is something we’d want to make more “convenient” seems counterproductive. The effort to be a self is its own end.

Rob Horning, "Preemptive personalization"

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
peculiar repulsiveness

I meant to write about the peculiar repulsiveness of those who dabble their fingers self approvingly in the stuff of others’ souls.

Virginia Woolf, The Diary of Virginia Woolf

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Wisdom is nothing more than healed pain." -Robert Gary Lee

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
XVwyjRcl.jpg

"Feeling", no that's a word too fleeting.

Kas

Fabula rasa
“Thus men will lie on their backs, talking about the fall of man, and never make an effort to get up.” Henry David Thoreau

"You know, when I was 16, I used to look at the moon and I believed I could see the face of the man I was going to marry. Sometimes it was Mick Jagger. Once it was Ron Howard. Now when I look at the moon, I just see the moon." tv series

mystik_INFJ

Permabanned
I'd like to add my favorite few:

"Art for art's sake is an empty phrase. Art for the sake of truth, art for the sake of the good and the beautiful, that is the faith I am searching for." - George Sand

Such a great way to express the need for meaning over everything else.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God. - John Gillespie Magee, Jr (aviator and poet) - High Flight

What a beautiful way to describe flight.

"It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.” ― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

This must be the more spiritual collection of words that I have ever heard, if you'd like to hear the whole monologue, see the video in my profile.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

mystik_INFJ

Permabanned
I will add a few more

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

- Antoine de Saint-Exupry

I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law.

- Aristotle

Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another.

- Plato

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

- Benjamin Franklin

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

- Frederick the Great

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"It's scary what a smile can hide." [author unknown]

BookWyrm

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
"He found himself wondering at times, especially in the autumn, about the wild lands, and strange visions of mountains that he had never seen came into his dreams."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

"Unfillable — that’s what I was. Nymphomania of the brain. Starvation of the heart."
— From Fear of Flying by Erica Jong

Rune

MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
"disappointment only comes from high expectations" - I don't know because the person that posted this didn't know either. ;)