• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] ENFJs and Figuring out a person

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
An ENFJ friend told me that he figures out whatever a friend is really worth being kept as friends by testing them at the beginning of a relationship. For example: he once tested a person by giving them money for absolutely no reason. When the person took it without hesitation, he conclude that the person was greedy and not worth being friends with.

I find that this is a very interesting and useful way to figure out someone. Have you nice people in the NF idyllic find yourself testing a potential friend by deliberately doing something and then observing their reaction? What qualities other than greed are you testing for? Any other ways to figure out a person other than giving out money for no reason? :doh:

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I havnt ever done that either, how old is your friend 15? lol

G

Glycerine

What a strange conclusion? Sorry to say, that sounds idiotic. The way I figure people out is very holistic. I look at several instances to piece to them together in a bigger picture. Look at how they treat people generally. If they are an complete ass or fake to most people, then don't bother with them.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your friend sounds kinda manipulative and a bit cynical.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Hmm Well what a silly thing to conclude..

To me I would think "what a nice generous person". I believe people give gifts because they want to and it's rude to not accept.

So your friend just lost a someone who might have admired him.. what a jerk.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
That's ... unreasonable, illogical ... just plain dumb. Assumptions can be wrong even with a long list of evidence ... and this is just ... I would never do something like that. Trust is earned through the exchange of vulnerability, exchange of supportive-ness, conversations, time spend together getting to know each other. Trust takes time and distrust also takes time.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds like that ENFJ just lost a table full of other ENFJs.

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
That was... a very educational and unanimous response. :shock: The ENFJ I have in mind is about 19.

Last edited:

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ROFL :) I found it funny! Its all good ;). Your friend must have some serious trust issues. Did something crazy happen to him?

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, why don't we turn this thread into something more productive...

How do you ENFJ's here on TypoC go about trying to understand what a person is really like?

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I put a lot of effort into trying to understand my SO.

If a friend does something unexpected I will sometimes try to figure out what motivated that behavior. Although if it's something that runs really counter to the relationship I usually just cut it off because I feel the other person isn't as invested as I am.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

How do you ENFJ's here on TypoC go about trying to understand what a person is really like?

I can't really explain what I just "know".

But in light of trying to answer your question
The first thing I do is try to find some common ground.Sometimes its very obvious sometimes less so.But being on the same page about something is a great way to disarm people and yourself. People disarmed are more likely to be themselves. By being more ourselves, our truer nature will reveal itself and understanding starts to take place without conscious effort.

What I can't understand .. I will simply ask the person to explain.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I use my animal instinct. I turn my Ni and Fe loose on them to pick them over, and I rely on my gut reaction to them - I believe Se is responsible for gathering "gambler tells". Whatever comes in on that radar is immediately sent down the line to Ti processing, and sent back to me with identifying tags all over it.

How do they "feel"? Grey? Washed out? Fugitive? Subversive? Off-balance?

How do they "seem"? This or that comes out of their mouth, doesn't jive with the rest. Vibes.

How do they "present"? They check out. They do NOT check out. They match their actions. They do not. There's something shifty about the eyes, the hands, the slight body posture, the rise or drop in tone. Liar? Casual liar? Pathological? Wittingly/unwittingly fearful. Standing me off. Coiled up like a snake for NO reason? Is there a reason? Are they reasonable enough to understand reason at all? One arm shielding self. Won't give any ground. I can't/can touch you without an eruption. Etc.

How do they "process"? Data spew collated into sensible analysis, sent back ASAP to my primary functions.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think ENFJs can also be very inquisitive. I tend to ask a lot of questions to be able to understand someone more.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
An ENFJ friend told me that he figures out whatever a friend is really worth being kept as friends by testing them at the beginning of a relationship. For example: he once tested a person by giving them money for absolutely no reason. When the person took it without hesitation, he conclude that the person was greedy and not worth being friends with.

I find that this is a very interesting and useful way to figure out someone. Have you nice people in the NF idyllic find yourself testing a potential friend by deliberately doing something and then observing their reaction? What qualities other than greed are you testing for? Any other ways to figure out a person other than giving out money for no reason? :doh:

This was an instance of dumb Ni.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If I test people, it's really just in their ability to handle me or not. I prefer people who aren't too soft and can accept my abrasive qualities/opinions.

Beyond that, I observe a person as I interact with them. I watch over their feelings and actions, gather their opinions through what they choose to say or not to say. You can tell a lot about a person very quickly if you tune into the right wavelengths.

Personally, I'll try to give the benefit of the doubt if there is good behind dysfunction. I give them a good length of time to alter my view (indirectly), even if I've made an initial judgment.

An example- my ENFJ friend. She means well and would go out of her way for any friend of hers, even just an acquaintance. She's got a huge heart and genuinely cares about people, even if she's abrasive like I am. On the other hand, she's emotionally intense to beat the band. The woman can be an atmosphere algae-sucker and you can never tell which extreme she'll jump to. She also needs to be dominant and the center of attention due to insecurity and lack of social experience. Yes- there is dysfunction and difficult traits, but she is still fun and an absolute sweetheart beyond that.
- I've distanced from her a bit to keep my sanity/self-preservation, but almost any other person would have hit the high road.

When it adversely affects me is when I distance or escape.
Someone who accepts money from me wouldn't be one of those situations :laugh:.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
actually, the whole judgment smells of Se to me- def not anything "intuitive" as we term it here. "its obvious what kind of person they are if they cant be straight about money matters", etc.