• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Upset ENFPs: Handle With Care

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
OK, so at this moment I'm wondering:

Is there any kind of rule, written or unwritten, that the OP has broken?

And if so, what is the rule?

OR, if you prefer:

Is there a better way, in your opinion, that I could have phrased it?

OR:

In your opinion, should it not have even been posted in the first place?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had a problem understanding, but that's no rule. That's just me being a dumb ass.

Jaguar

I have noticed in general that INTPs especially will rip you a new one if they see your OP is not consistent/doesn't make sense and isn't well thought out. The problem is that they (sometimes) dismiss good ideas just because the logic was fuzzy/non-existent/not thought through. But mature INTPs will look at it despite the logical consistency or at least give you the chance to defend/revamp your argument, as most people here did in the thread.

No one has to word their post a certain way just to please a select few individuals who are incapable of relating to people as human beings. That's their problem to work on. This isn't a debate forum, nor is a certain brand of "logic" required to enage in a group discussion. Besides, what some think is logic, is nothing more than throwing dog crap against the wall and waiting to see what sticks. "Baffle them with bullshit," is the motto.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It was more of a guess than an expert opinion, Jaguar....just a hypothesis I was throwing out there. :)

Jaguar

It was more of a guess than an expert opinion, Jaguar....just a hypothesis I was throwing out there. :)

And a good guess it was.
My post was more of a comment to everyone, not just you.
I was certainly not finding any fault in your post, if that's what you were thinking. :hug:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And a good guess it was.
My post was more of a comment to everyone, not just you.
I was ceraintly not finding any fault in your post, if that's what you were thinking. :hug:

No worries, I wasn't worried about that. :) I like to listen to your ideas! :hug:

I have to wake up early, so you guys have fun puzzling it out! ;)

Jaguar

Well, that was a shit typing job on my part. Ceraintly? Lol. :D

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah, in the way that you list many things appearing very certain about them being facts. It doesn't leave much room for discussion, and doesn't seem to reflect your intent to bounce ideas off other people.

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
They're not likely to go apeshit if they are heard.

More often than not, they will feel satisfied that they were allowed to say how they feel--even if the problem isn't going to be resolved.

Yes. I need to be listened to. I need to have my point of view heard, not necessarily accepted.

Chloe

Look at this thread. Who got irritated? The INXXs, especially the INXPs. They think things out FIRST. So they assume you brought this thread to the table completely well constructed, giving your best shot. And they ripped it to shreds, calling it crap. You wanted to start a discussion about something to mold it in the process. This is the best example of where IN meets EN and just goes WTF??????

this is very very true.
INs usually think that whatever you say it's your final opinion. Whenever i say somehting it's usually to figure out what i am thinking, i can think completely different after 2 hours, but i will say all possible outcomes, to explore them.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, you're totally right to warn people, Wonka.

An upset ENFP might burn your house down if you aren't careful.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think you started this thread because you got shut down in some of your other threads, particularly the Feedback thread. You felt bad, and you thought the answer was to correct it with a little ego stroking, so you started this thread on the theory that it'll rectify your feelings and prevent it from happening again.

I read your reply to slowriot, and I'll repeat what I said. Being NF is not an excuse or justification for "just wanting to be understood." Your reply to him tries to blur right and wrong (in this case, wise and not wise) by saying that everyone has their needs and everyone is unique, blah blah blah. That's totally irrelevant. No one's contesting that you have your own needs. The issue is how to properly deal with those needs. Not all needs should be satisfied. An addict would be stupid to think that the answer to his addiction is more drugs. Likewise, an angry person would be wrong to think that lashing out (or even vent, says research) is the answer to his problem.

We have two choices: give into your game where we acknowledge you and stroke your ego for you (what I would consider inauthentic as fuck) or deal with your requests and complaints in a logical, objective, swift manner and move on. The latter beats the former.

I completely disagree when you're saying that angry or upset people shouldn't "vent." Venting is healthy, as long is it's not violently lashing out at people. Holding anger in or pretending it doesn't exist causes emotional problems. Some people say it even causes cancer.

But I do agree that every negative emotion should not be coddled, and that there is a right way to express your emotions.

In my experience of being an NF, being rational, logical, firm but kind or at least patient is the best way to deal with me if I'm upset. Someone who keeps wanting to fight or provoke me just makes me more upset, and someone coddling you too much is ridiculous, I agree.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
You know what I find hard (not as an ENFP, really, but just as Renée)? I find it really hard to know when to differentiate between the following:

a. venting just to vent
b. venting at me to piss me off
c. venting at me to clarify/correct a situation
d. venting to get an answer
e. venting about someone else when you're really venting about us/something to do with us vicariously and I'm supposed to somehow pick that out from high heaven
f. venting about one thing when you're really pissed off about something else
g. venting about general things when you really mean something specific
h. venting about specific things when you really mean something general

Etc. etc. very hard for me to distinguish. I think it's related to the topic. Any ideas how to hone that skill better?

That is why venting dont always gets the point across that well with most people. That doesnt mean that you shouldnt vent at all. It just means that you should take the other persons perspective in to consideration aswell and be emotional mature enough to understand that most emotions stems from frustration, your frustration. Its physically impossible in all situations as the venter to explain in what context you are venting from but if you could it would help in most situations. Like say "this is not directed at you, but ......" or "I really dont understand this, I need help ...." That would definate help most people and your communication would be that much better.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it causes baldness and excessive masturbation.

Almost as bad as cancer. Vent on, I say.

Ha...well there are ways to deal with it, you know? Write in your journal. Talk to a friend. Scream in the shower. Hit a tree with a baseball bat. And sometimes confrontation is unavoidable.

I think it can be difficult for INTx, especially, to understand how (some) Fs can be overcome by their feelings.

Then again, I think some of the best people that have been able to "handle" me and calm me down are either INTx or INFJs. Not that I think a person should be excessively "handled"...I mean, my ex is an emotional volcano. I think that's not okay. NOBODY SHOULD HAVE TO LIVE WITH THAT...someone who constantly dumps on others like their emotional trash can (someone already mentioned that image) and expects others to baby them.

So I can see it from both sides. I can see it from the perspective of being a sensitive NF, but I can also see it from the perspective of someone who has had to live around someone who goes around inflicting themselves on other people to a point of childish ridiculousness. The latter is NOT okay.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I completely disagree when you're saying that angry or upset people shouldn't "vent." Venting is healthy, as long is it's not violently lashing out at people. Holding anger in or pretending it doesn't exist causes emotional problems. Some people say it even causes cancer.

But I do agree that every negative emotion should not be coddled, and that there is a right way to express your emotions.

In my experience of being an NF, being rational, logical, firm but kind or at least patient is the best way to deal with me if I'm upset. Someone who keeps wanting to fight or provoke me just makes me more upset, and someone coddling you too much is ridiculous, I agree.

As I understand what ThatWhatHeSaid and I is saying is pretty much what you posted on here. No one in this thread is saying venting is wrong. Only that one exhibiting some of the traits wonka has expressed here could be seen as immature and egocentric.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
As I understand what ThatWhatHeSaid and I is saying is pretty much what you posted on here. No one in this thread is saying venting is wrong. Only that one exhibiting some of the traits wonka has expressed here could be seen as immature and egocentric.

Right.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
But you know, on the other hand, I've noticed that some NTs (most often NTPs, and most of all ENTPs) enjoy going around provoking NFs for amusement. Then they have the nerve to act surprised or even superior when it works.

That's also immature and egocentric.