• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] When Fe & Fi Go Awry: The Definitive NF guide to F-ness (Let the Antics Ensue)

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
In the six months or so that I’ve been active on this forum, I’ve seen Fe and Fi clash literally hundreds of times. And thus, the discussion on many a thread has been diverted to discussion of the differences between Fe and Fi… and their mutual distaste for each other.

This thread approaches the Fe/Fi discussion from a different tack. When does Fe run amuck? When does Fi go bat shit crazy? I hear a lot of talk about how Fi users are bugged by Fe. And, how Fe users can’t stand Fi. But what seems to be missing from the conversation is Fe/Fi users taking ownership of their respective function's excesses. ‘Cause I’ve gotta tell you, both Fe and Fi are u-g-l-y when not held in check.

Format. I anticipate a heated discussion with lots of, “This is why I hate (Fe/Fi)” comments. By conforming your comments to the below format, hopefully a more thoughtful discussion of the facts will ensue.
  1. When [Fe/Fi] Went Awry: Explain situation you personally experienced when Fe or Fi caused problems. It can be your F function, or someone else’s.
  2. Why Did [Fe/Fi] Do That?: What was [Fe/Fi]’s justification for doing what it did?
  3. How Were Others Inconvenienced? : How did this display of [Fe/Fi] affect the other parties involved? It’s easy to explain why we felt motivated to use our Fe/Fi in a certain way. It’s much more difficult to articulate how your actions inconvenienced others.
  4. Comments: Any additional comments you might have go here.
Just a refresher, or for those of you who don’t know about Fe and Fi, here’s a brief recap*:

Extraverted Feeling (Fe) - The extraverted feeling function concerns itself with other people’s emotions - especially those that lie on or near the surface and are easy to sympathize with. Placing a value on people’s feeling, extraverted feeling relates to them with discrimination, empathy, and tact. At its best, it tends to appreciate the strengths of people, but it also seeks concrete gratitude and validation. In its shadow aspect, extraverted feeling tends to discriminate against feelings that are less easy to identify with, and therefore less socially acceptable. The result is that extraverted feeling tends to ignore or harshly judge emotional needs that do not validate collective norms. This kind of response can lead to forms of bullying and prejudice, as majority values are emphasized at the expense of other, more individual values. INFJs and ENFJs are Fe users.
• INFJ - Ni > Fe > Ti > Se
• ENFJ - Fe > Ni > Se > Ti​

Introverted Feeling (Fi) - The introverted feeling function concerns itself with the values expressed in the archetypal aspect of situations, often relating to the actual situation by measuring it against an ideal. When the actual is found wanting, introverted feeling can become intensely disappointed. Although it often finds it hard to articulate its judgments, or simply prefers to keep them to itself, introverted feeling also tends to ignore social limits regarding the communication of critical responses, to the point of appearing to depreciate others. It may withhold positive feelings as insincere and fail to offer healing gestures to smooth over difficult situations. In its shadow aspect, introverted feeling becomes rageful, anxious, and sullen. It may withdraw all support for attitudes it has decided are simply wrong, even at the risk of rupturing relationship and agreed-upon standards of fellow-feeling. INFPs and ENFPs are Fi users.
• ENFP - Ne > Fi > Te > Si
• INFP - Fi > Ne > Si > Te​
*I picked these definitions of Fe and Fi because I think they do a great job of discussing how these functions can go wrong. From Vicky Jo Varner’s Dolphin Dive Website.

=======================
Note: Several people asked me to explain my suggested format. I had a very specific reason for choosing these questions that I explain more thoroughly in post #601. (Click here to read.)

Last edited:

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
OK, I’ll go first.
  1. When Fi Went Awry: I was corresponding with a new friend that I liked very, very much. I made myself very open and vulnerable to this person... We'll call her 'Anita'. In other words, I exposed my Fi to Anita through self-disclosure. This is how Fi makes itself vulnerable... by letting itself be revealed. Anita and I subsequently had a falling out during which she told me not to write to her ever again. My Fi was very, very, very hurt. Probably more hurt than it’s been in years. I reflected for a couple of days, then responded with a much justified Te bitchslap. But afterwards, even after Anita wrote me again, I refused to read her emails. I kept them on my computer, but wouldn’t open them.
  2. Why Did Fi Do That?: I’ve come to appreciate how powerful Fi’s emotions feel. Since I made myself so open with an offering of my innermost Fi, the pain was all the greater. I think I didn’t read Anita's emails because I didn’t want to get hurt again. My Fi couldn’t bear it. Also, the Te bitchslap was because I thought what Anita had done was wrong. Fi feels like a very strong internal moral compass. When Fi's hackles are raised, there are no shades of gray. Things are clearly either right or wrong. My Fi had judged Anita was Wrong (with a capital W). Then I proceeded to use my tertiary Te to right this wrong by sending Anita an email in which I told her in lurid detail exactly why I thought what she did was wrong. Te became a filter by which I poignantly and effectively expressed my Fi judgment.
  3. How Were Others Inconvenienced?: Even though Anita totally overreacted, it was unfair to not read her emails. Maybe she wrote me to apologize. Maybe not. But by shutting her out, I was not even giving her the opportunity to express herself which wasn't fair to her. As for the Te bitchslap... well... Was I correct in what I said during my Te bitchslap? Yes. But sometimes when you speak the truth, a whisper is more effective than a howl. The more true it was, the more hurtful to hear. When push came to shove, I didn't give a damn about breaking social niceties, because all that mattered to me was speaking the truth. This must have caused this person much distress and anxiety.
  4. Comments: It’s taken a lot of humble pie for me to admit that this was my Fi wreaking havoc. As I’ve become more aware of my Fi, I’ve also become aware of the trouble it can cause. I do have choices other than letting my Fi drive my behavior in this manner. For example, I might have given my Fi a chance to heal a bit and then gone and talked to this person or read their emails. Instead, I protected my Fi. And that became the driving force behind my behavior. This served my Fi’s agenda, but I don’t think this was the best for Esoteric Wench in the long run.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
That was an interesting example. I'll have to think more about this before responding further. However, I do think it's important before we begin that people understand this:

Fe is not about social niceties. It's about understanding how each person's individual actions impact the group. This information can be wielded in positive or negative ways, depending on the maturity and inclination of the individual.

When going against social norms, the Fe user may be more inclined to stop and consider how they can do so while ruffling the least amount of feathers, or at least understand what kind of reaction their actions may end up provoking and weigh the consequences. Doesn't mean that someone shouldn't go ahead and do it, it's just that they should understand what the cost is and if it is aiding or detracting from their ultimate goal (from a Fe perspective). Therefore the method in which the message is conveyed is just as important as the message itself if it is going to be well-received and acted upon.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Fidelia, apparently you and I are the only ones who don't have more exciting plans on this Saturday afternoon. :smile: It's certainly been quiet on the boards today.

Seriously though.... I appreciate your Fe comments. I'm still trying to get my head around Fe... and you have been a real helper in my process. :hug:

Last week I ran into an ENFJ with whom I had been struggling to find some common ground. He accidentally bumped into me in the door of a restaurant. In response, he grabbed my elbow, and said, "I'm sorry, I hope you're OK." I looked at him and smiled.

Yes, he and I have had problems in the past. But rather than interpreting his actions as fake and insincere, I saw that he was using his Fe. And this made me smile and think of you and my other TypoC contacts who have helped me gain this new understanding of Fe. Thank you.

I'm looking forward to hearing other people's stories of Fe & Fi going awry.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well you can count me in. +1 for team nothing-better-to-do-on-Saturday-afternoon.

Fe is not about social niceties. It's about understanding how each person's individual actions impact the group. This information can be wielded in positive or negative ways, depending on the maturity and inclination of the individual.

When going against social norms, the Fe user may be more inclined to stop and consider how they can do so while ruffling the least amount of feathers, or at least understand what kind of reaction their actions may end up provoking and weigh the consequences. Doesn't mean that someone shouldn't go ahead and do it, it's just that they should understand what the cost is and if it is aiding or detracting from their ultimate goal (from a Fe perspective). Therefore the method in which the message is conveyed is just as important as the message itself if it is going to be well-received and acted upon.

I have to think about it before getting to the point in the op myself. But briefly, I just also want to add to what Fid said- I’ve been thinking about this since the Fi bias thread- I think this tendency (the bolded) is often misconstrued as existing soley for the sake of maintaining group well-being. Fe users necessarily are also Ti users (in theory, anyway). And, at least for myself- and it does seem to me to be true for many others as well- the tendency to avoid ruffling feathers is means to avoid arguments. I don’t dislike arguments strictly because they are ‘rude’ or go against group dynamics. I avoid arguments because it’s difficult for me to explain my position. It’s really taxing. I’m only willing to do the work of explaining my position where and when I believe it’s conducive to improving social harmony (thereby ultimately resulting in fewer arguments down the road) or defending myself or another person in situation which seems unfair (to avoid hurt feelings or out of empathy with another’s hurt feelings). It does not come easily to me, and that’s my primary motivation for seeking group harmony- it isn’t because it’s simply what I’m “supposed” to do.

I think it’s important to point out (as was Fidelia’s point), because it seems to me that Te users don’t realize how absolutely exhausting they can be to deal with; and then the Fe backlash (“you shouldn’t ruffle feathers”, “you should stop and consider the other person’s feelings”, “calm listening is important”, etc) gets misunderstood as mindlessly enforcing social mores and, in turn, apparently feels oppressive to the Te user’s Fi. And I’m not saying the conflict always starts with Te, nor am I saying all Fe users are mindful (some of them really are just adhering to and trying to enforce mindless social norms). I’m just trying to describe how Fe ‘rules’ are sometimes more about self-preservation (creating an environment where Ti won’t get drowned out) than many Fi (Te) types seem to understand.

I’ve noticed I really don’t run into much conflict with Fi itself- because Fi doms aren't anywhere near as taxing for me (as Te is their least function) as other Fi types. In fact, irl, I have a few Fi dom friends and they aren't taxing to me at all.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes! Z Buck is onto something. I only invest in conflicts with people whose mind I think I can change, or for whom more information would make a difference (ensuring smoother working together in the future), people whose opinion doesn't affect me in any way (very distant people from me), people whom I'm very close to (because the issue cannot be ignored). I don't seek out conflict at all if I can help it, even though as I've gotten older I've come to see that not everyone feels the way I do when it occurs, and that there are also situations where dealing with something now saves everyone a lot of trouble in the future. I prefer to look for the places where we agree and then diverge to understand where our differences lie, rather than going the opposite way and starting at our points of difference and converge to where our sameness lies. Starting with our differences feels confrontational, puts me on the spot, and I feel at a disadvantage and rushed when trying to explain my point of view.

I'm also just more cautious and want to understand how my actions/words will be received and who is allied with who before I go out on a limb and say it all. Not knowing that makes me feel terribly uncomfortable and insecure. That's why when someone doesn't give any encouraging signs or respond when I'm saying something, I tend to back way off or withdraw somewhat. I assume it means that I am treading on dangerous (or important) ground (to them) and I do what I would want others to in that case.

Because the Fi users in questions are also Te users, they are not going to be as upset by differences. Te is practical and sometimes a little ruthless (I don't mean that Te users are ruthless, but Te as a function is). Fi feels strongly and tends to be very black and white (especially when it is intense). Therefore on neither count does it make sense to hold back if there is something important to say. Getting the message out, not the method used to do so is the first priority. This is the reason why Fe users sometimes find it abrasive, while Fe users find the need for couching things a certain way is stifling and they are concerned that by insisting on a prescribed way to share the message, it will actually obscure it.

I'm not sure about this, but do you think it's possible that Fe-Ti people see things in many shades of grey, rather than black and white (kind of like Fi-Te is about emotions). Therefore it is important to be precise about expressing your ideas/feelings (hence the emphasis on the message) and it feels wrong to insist that things ARE a certain way, as Fi-Te may feel more comfortable doing (Te generalizes a little more, Fi feels very very strongly)? Just kind of thinking aloud. I haven't really tested all of that out yet against all the real life situations I could to see if it holds true.

I'm not sure what to think about it all, as I know that INFPs are very non-confrontational by nature, although when a value gets stepped on, most of that goes out the door. It seems like it's kind of all or nothing with them.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

I think something I've become aware of is that I sometimes pay a price for my Fi. There is a social cost to ignoring the group dynamics. And, sometimes this is worth it. But one should consciously make the decision to rock the boat and not just do it on Fi instinct.

I've worked in PR off and on for years. And, one of the reasons I got out of PR is that I just find it too exhausting to let go of me being "right" and do what will make everyone happy. I feel like I'm running a popularity contest. And, this is distasteful for me.

Now sometimes Fi has it all over Fe, but I think that I'm at the point in my personal growth that I'm learning to appreciate the limits of Fi.

[T]he tendency to avoid ruffling feathers is means to avoid arguments. I don’t dislike arguments strictly because they are ‘rude’ or go against group dynamics. I avoid arguments because it’s difficult for me to explain my position. It’s really taxing. I’m only willing to do the work of explaining my position where and when I believe it’s conducive to improving social harmony (thereby ultimately resulting in fewer arguments down the road) or defending myself or another person in situation which seems unfair (to avoid hurt feelings or out of empathy with another’s hurt feelings). It does not come easily to me, and that’s my primary motivation for seeking group harmony- it isn’t because it’s simply what I’m “supposed” to do.

I think it’s important to point out (as was Fidelia’s point), because it seems to me that Te users don’t realize how absolutely exhausting they can be to deal with; and then the Fe backlash (“you shouldn’t ruffle feathers”, “you should stop and consider the other person’s feelings”, “calm listening is important”, etc) gets misunderstood as mindlessly enforcing social mores and, in turn, apparently feels oppressive to the Te user’s Fi. And I’m not saying the conflict always starts with Te, nor am I saying all Fe users are mindful (some of them really are just adhering to and trying to enforce mindless social norms). I’m just trying to describe how Fe ‘rules’ are sometimes more about self-preservation (creating an environment where Ti won’t get drowned out) than many Fi (Te) types seem to understand.

I’ve noticed I really don’t run into much conflict with Fi itself- because Fi doms aren't anywhere near as taxing for me (as Te is their least function) as other Fi types. In fact, irl, I have a few Fi dom friends and they aren't taxing to me at all.

^^^^
This is fascinating. And I think you've hit on some real truth here, Z Buck McFate.

I'm still undecided on exactly what is going on here, but it seems to me that Te and Ti are huge players in this matter. And, when you said, "[Fe] gets misunderstood as mindlessly enforcing social mores and, in turn, apparently feels oppressive to the Te user’s Fi" my mouth literally fell open. That is EXACTLY what it feels like.

I'm thinking back to problems I've had with Fe users in the past. I think you used the right term. I think my Te exhausted them. This certainly wasn't intentional on my part. In fact, I consciously use my Te more around Fe users because it seems like the best way for me to avoid misunderstandings. In other words, if I let the needs of the situation dictate my behavior, I reason that surely this will avoid subjectivity, bias, and misunderstanding.... At least that is my sincere intention.... <Sigh.>

But alas.... as with much of Esoteric Wench's life... she displays her flagrant idiocy every day. :smile:

Maybe I can get a glimmer of understanding if I imagine that Fi must have some commonalities with Ti. I'm a pretty strongly extraverted extravert. So not being able to articulate myself is not something I'm used to. But I've come to realize that articulating and revealing my Fi is exhausting. And, I'm very guarded about it. And, I find it very taxing. So if this is what it feels like to use your Ti when dealing with my Te, I can completely relate to your exhaustion.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
LOL :D

Another EsotericWench/Orobas/Fidelia/Satine epic!

I look forward to the massive walls of text and all the :hug::hug::hug:'s. :D

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes! I think that's exactly the issue, EW. Thank you for explaining it in that way. I've heard Fi users talk about how difficult it is to explain their Fi to others and it makes them feel put on the spot. I think that how Ti feels in the face of Te is very analagous. I wouldn't have put it together myself (even though I understand that various introverted functions vs various extroverted functions have some parallels to each other.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Starting with our differences feels confrontational, puts me on the spot, and I feel at a disadvantage and rushed when trying to explain my point of view.

I'm also just more cautious and want to understand how my actions/words will be received and who is allied with who before I go out on a limb and say it all. Not knowing that makes me feel terribly uncomfortable and insecure. That's why when someone doesn't give any encouraging signs or respond when I'm saying something, I tend to back way off or withdraw somewhat. I assume it means that I am treading on dangerous (or important) ground (to them) and I do what I would want others to in that case.

Because the Fi users in questions are also Te users, they are not going to be as upset by differences. Te is practical and sometimes a little ruthless (I don't mean that Te users are ruthless, but Te as a function is). Fi feels strongly and tends to be very black and white (especially when it is intense). Therefore on neither count does it make sense to hold back if there is something important to say. Getting the message out, not the method used to do so is the first priority. This is the reason why Fe users sometimes find it abrasive, while Fe users find the need for couching things a certain way is stifling and they are concerned that by insisting on a prescribed way to share the message, it will actually obscure it.

I'm not sure about this, but do you think it's possible that Fe-Ti people see things in many shades of grey, rather than black and white (kind of like Fi-Te is about emotions). Therefore it is important to be precise about expressing your ideas/feelings (hence the emphasis on the message) and it feels wrong to insist that things ARE a certain way, as Fi-Te may feel more comfortable doing (Te generalizes a little more, Fi feels very very strongly)? Just kind of thinking aloud. I haven't really tested all of that out yet against all the real life situations I could to see if it holds true.

I'm not sure what to think about it all, as I know that INFPs are very non-confrontational by nature, although when a value gets stepped on, most of that goes out the door. It seems like it's kind of all or nothing with them.

Fidelia, you wrote this while I was writing my response to Z Buck McFate. I also find what you said here very interesting.

I recently wrote on another thread that the way to love an ENFP was to understand them. To "get" them. When I read the bold and underlined section above I literally choked up. Yes, this is exactly right. That is me.

What really breaks my heart is thinking about the misunderstandings this has caused in the past between me and Fe users. Neither one of us had bad intentions, but I think you're exactly right. Unwittingly we were exhausting each other. :doh:

Much to think about indeed.

Even though it's not the stated objective of this thread, perhaps I can postulate that if FeTi users and FiTe users can understand this about one another, sooooo many problems would be avoided.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
LOL :D

Another EsotericWench/Orobas/Fidelia/Satine epic!

I look forward to the massive walls of text and all the :hug::hug::hug:'s. :D

Well, you've got us all nailed. :)

But Wonkavision, what about your bombastic verbosity? I think they'll take away your ENFP card if you don't post at least one or two walls of text. :smile:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
haha there are 12 people currently viewing this thread. apparently all of us who had something to do this afternoon are done now :D

the thought that occurs to me off the bat is that i always have the biggest problems in the heat of the moment. i am so concerned about how something needs to be said that how it will go over doesn't occur to me much.

and this is made even worse because i am shitty at predicting things. i think it's important to note that ESFJ and ENFJ have the gifts of aux Si and Ni to help them either analyze how it went in similar situations in the past and/or how it probably will go. my ENFJ friend often says to me, well you knew that wasn't the way to go about it! but honestly, i have a pretty crappy hold on how it's gonna go over. whereas she can practically predict the future.

in other words... owning up to the limits of our other functions can help understand our Fi/Fe behavior too :)

ps i'll come back and do that format thingy later

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Although I have participated somewhat in these threads in the past, it is interesting to me to note that it's the aux's who get really involved in trying to understand the dynamic.

I wonder why?

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
haha there are 12 people currently viewing this thread. apparently all of us who had something to do this afternoon are done now :D

the thought that occurs to me off the bat is that i always have the biggest problems in the heat of the moment. i am so concerned about how something needs to be said that how it will go over doesn't occur to me much.

and this is made even worse because i am shitty at predicting things. i think it's important to note that ESFJ and ENFJ have the gifts of aux Si and Ni to help them either analyze how it went in similar situations in the past and/or how it probably will go. my ENFJ friend often says to me, well you knew that wasn't the way to go about it! but honestly, i have a pretty crappy hold on how it's gonna go over. whereas she can practically predict the future.

in other words... owning up to the limits of our other functions can help understand our Fi/Fe behavior too :)

ps i'll come back and do that format thingy later

This made me laugh because I use the word 'thingy' too... all the time. Sorry to be completely off topic, but reading this was just such a joyful moment.

Yeah, Skylights. You're right. I'm so good at reading people and anticipating their reactions. But when my Fi gets going, it's like I just took an INTx pill. (Sorry INTx's but you know what I mean.)

:newwink:

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Although I have participated somewhat in these threads in the past, it is interesting to me to note that it's the aux's who get really involved in trying to understand the dynamic.

I wonder why?

PeaceBaby, I think this is a VERY important question that I've spent some time thinking about. My BFF is an INFP (Fi dom user). And she doesn't seem to have the problems dealing with Fe users that I do. Which on one level makes no sense to me. Yet again, if you take into account Ti versus Te when trying to solve this equation, then this doesn't seem so unexpected.

(BTW, my INFP BFF does have problems inter-relating to INFJs, but her problems seem to be associated with too much Introversion. In other words, she doesn't press our mutual INFJ friends in the way that I do. Normally, I'm very cautious in pressing them, but she doesn't press them at all... and thus issues remain outstanding and information isn't exchanged.)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I would say it's true I don't press INFJ's IRL. I only know a handful mind you. But I just don't press because I know it won't go anywhere, they'll just retreat and then won't communicate. An Fe dom will go to battle and at least we'll get things sorted, eventually. (Harder here on the forum though to get there.)

-----

To comply with the OP:

My Fi gets me into righteous trouble regularly.

When Fi Went Awry: I worked in a retail store part-time to make extra money when my kids were small. During my 1st Christmas there, when that particular store did 40% of their year in one month, the stock rooms were literally stuffed full of product. We're talking 20 foot high ceilings, with body space to crawl along the top to get product out. Shelving just as high. Us girls would climb the shelving to restock product; there were no ladders, no safety gear, we just climbed up and got stuff down. This seemed dangerous to me, but I was in my 20's and didn't speak up initially, just did my job. Until - until the day I slipped and fell off a shelf, from a height of about 8 feet. I had a very safe, almost laughable landing, thanks to a box of cotton balls. BUT - I realized I could not just be quiet about this, I had to speak up in order to try to make work a safer place. Anyone else could fall. Someone could get hurt. SO, my Fi speaks up.

Why Did Fi Do That?: Working in an unsafe workplace is inappropriate; no one's safety and well-being should be compromised in order to sell products. I spoke eloquently about the issue to the assistant manager and the manager; I commented to the other girls who worked there to be careful. I got out the Workplace Health and Safety Act. I tried to approach the franchise owner.

And, the outcome? Even though I was the top salesperson in the store (working P/T even), I was asked to quietly leave. I was asked to leave because ... I shouldn't rock the boat? Should say nothing and just be glad I have a job? (I got a new job practically the next day so that was no probs.) But it was personally affronting though that when I discovered something unsafe, I should be punished for being outspoken.

Bear in mind I was only P/T, no union, no protection. So, no recourse. The smartest thing I could have done was take a whole bunch of photos. But I didn't expect to be "let go" for raising a safety issue!

What was Fi’s justification for doing what it did? It was the right thing to do. Keeping myself and others out of harm's way is the right thing to do.

How Were Others Inconvenienced? : Clearly it was too much of an inconvenience to make a store safer - the managers had the enviable job of asking me to find new employment, I suppose that was uncomfortable for them. I think it inconvenienced me most. :)

How did this display of Fi affect the other parties involved? I had hoped some people would feel empowered to speak up, but mostly the other girls knew I was treading on thin ice when my original outspokenness was met with resistance. They tried to tell me to be quiet, to not get into trouble. Then, they started to distance themselves from me in order to avoid getting into trouble themselves.

Comments: This is how Fi gets me into trouble, IMO. No other way I can think of. Here on the forums, I try to be more open in expressing my Fi conceptually, so that gets me into trouble sometimes it seems. But, IRL, I protect the Fi in general and only bring out the "big guns" for what I consider the important stuff. The rest of the stuff can generally be managed day to day.

But I would speak up again in a heart-beat. Even knowing the consequences. And I have. But those are other stories! :laugh:

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Introverted Feeling (Fi) - The introverted feeling function concerns itself with the values expressed in the archetypal aspect of situations, often relating to the actual situation by measuring it against an ideal. When the actual is found wanting, introverted feeling can become intensely disappointed. Although it often finds it hard to articulate its judgments, or simply prefers to keep them to itself, introverted feeling also tends to ignore social limits regarding the communication of critical responses, to the point of appearing to depreciate others. It may withhold positive feelings as insincere and fail to offer healing gestures to smooth over difficult situations. In its shadow aspect, introverted feeling becomes rageful, anxious, and sullen. It may withdraw all support for attitudes it has decided are simply wrong, even at the risk of rupturing relationship and agreed-upon standards of fellow-feeling.

I can totally relate to this when I'm deeply upset.
But then doesn't Fe turn into Fi in shadow function? I guess that's what it is.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTJ here. I'm not mainly an F user, but I think I have enough Fi to understand how it works, and I can at least theoretically understand Fe, mostly by analogizing it with Te.

I think Fi has a tendency to cause trouble with Fe because more often than not, Fi users make "intent" very important in a situation. Fi says "I didn't mean to cause any harm" and Fe says it's irrelevant. What matters is results, not method. You caused derision and impacted the group, whether you meant to or not. In that way, Fe is like Te. Fi would also be like Ti in that the methodology, having the right intent, or in the case of Ti, logic, is more important than the apparent outcome. I think the answer is, at least from an Fi perspective, to recognize that what's right isn't always what's right. I don't know about Fe, because I don't think I understand it well enough to judge it or its users.

Just the opinion of a rather emotionally-disconnected NT.

Last edited: