• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Loud music in my ears helps me do boring stuff

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, change loud to a moderate volume and you've described me accurately.

Yes, music helps a great deal in coping with the boring but necessary stuff. Like cleaning or commuting to work to name a couple of examples. I also like to listen to music while exercising.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah absolutely...it's quite ridiculous really but i hate cleaning with anyone in the house. i like to send everyone away and turn up some super loud house music and get into the zone...cleaning and redecorating...it's fun sometimes if you do it that way...otherwise...it's maddeningly boring and i take a million breaks so as to not go completely loco.

P

Phantonym

Well, change loud to a moderate volume and you've described me accurately.

Yes, music helps a great deal in coping with the boring but necessary stuff. Like cleaning or commuting to work to name a couple of examples. I also like to listen to music while exercising.

Same here.

Music makes the interesting stuff more interesting as well or at least gives me plenty of energy to go after thoughts/things with full force. :laugh:

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
I need it loud enough to where I can hear every little thing or loud enough to fill a room if I'm not wearing my headphones.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Depends on how much focus I need and how extroverted the job is. I tried studying with music, lol does NOT work for me. If I'm reading the stuff out loud, that obviously gets in the way. If I'm trying to study in 'silence', my mind automatically favors the extroverted, so I end up singing along to the music rather than studying.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah music helps. I don't play it insanely loud, though... Sometimes I even read listening to music, but then I need to pick familiar music, so that I'm not distracted into actually listening it.

yeah absolutely...it's quite ridiculous really but i hate cleaning with anyone in the house. i like to send everyone away and turn up some super loud house music and get into the zone...

Hey, me too! Well, I can't send anyone out as they pay the same rent as me, but I try to clean when they're not around.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Music doesn't help me for very long. But audiobooks are beautiful, wonderful sanity saving things.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
Music with exercise is incredible and really boosts the quality / quantity of my working out (just like suchirony said above). However, studying with it is difficult for me. Increasingly so as I get older.

OP - any tasks in particular you had in mind?

KDude

It all depends on what it is (exercising, for sure). I think it has to be rhythmic (vacuuming applies, I guess.. although it never takes me long enough for that). Reading? I prefer silence. I don't really like any noises from the outside sometimes.

gromit

likes this
YES. I love to listen to music while I fold my laundry or clean or something.

:banana:

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Makes boring stuff do for you loudest snorts?

There once was a snort that was lauded to be wanting...wanting to be lauded...by appellation...apparently there was a no loud singing contest going on and the crow went wild...wild with madness...madness they did not! Then came along the soothsayer who loaded load-stones...stones loaded did the soothsayer. When the sound matched the vibrational frequency of the thematic nucleolus of the rhythmic...the rhythmic balance repeated aloud...aloud repeated the rhythmic balance. Let there...resonance...be...popping a pop...loud...resonance attuned in between the road that traveled with times amplitude of sounding graven of a resolute ear. Erred the ear...loudly...louder...loudest still the load stones fell from the back of the van...a plop...a plonk...aplomb...the crowd was bedazzled...dazed...a dazzled by the bespectacled of loudness errant not of stones asunder amidst the ground that remembered soil.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
TOTALLY

showers, brushing teeth, dishes, cleaning, papers, STUDYING! :hifive:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i've actually written a couple papers on this, lol.

it can be understood as an element of psychological task demand - people in general have two factors to consider when approaching a task, which is their own personal level of skill and their own personal ideal level of stimulation. and then there's the level of difficulty that the task requires. people seem to prefer a task that is closely suited to their skill level and ideal stimulation level - anything too high above those is discarded as too complex, while anything too far below is discarded as too boring.

so if you're approaching a low-skill and/or low-stimulation task (eg washing windows), then adding stimulation like music makes a lot of sense, because it brings the parameters of the task up to your preferred level of cognitive engagement. with something already mentally demanding like studying, however, it's less likely that you will want very much additional cognitive stimulation - maybe some soft classical music if you find the subject boring, but certainly not hard rock.

and of course people have vastly different individual thresholds for this kind of stuff. it's theorized that people with ADD/ADHD have higher than average ideal stimulation levels, which is why they are always doing 100 things at once, and why stimulants help calm them down. it brings them up to their ideal level of task difficulty and allows them to not get so easily bored - while people on the autism spectrum may experience the opposite, and prefer much lower levels of stimulation while approaching a task.

the excellent thing that all of this suggests is that you can manipulate tasks to make things more pleasant for yourself, as most people have already discovered to a certain extent. if the theory is correct, then figuring out your ideal levels of stimulation and then matching them to the task at hand can optimize both your productivity and your satisfaction.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
i can't have music on when i'm focusing on words like reading and writing. but math, graphics and physical is another thing. i'll have music on when i clean my apartment or work on a website.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am pretty sensitive to loud noises/music so not necessarily loud music. But I do generally listen to music while drawing, and when doing chores, I may have a song in my head and sing. It helps me to get things done, or listening to music inspires me. Listening to music that I can relate or connect to is somewhat of an outlet for me, especially when thinking about a situation I'm in and processing the lyrics.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I despise loud noises most of the time. For instance, I seriously considered jumping out of my ex-husband's car when he refused to turn down blaring music. Loud noises assault my well-being.

As a kid, I wrote most of my novellas with Yanni playing (softly) in the background. Nowadays, though, if I must think and/or remember something, I can't be distracted by noise. Doing that stuff, without distraction, is hard enough as it is lol.
If I'm exercising inside, I love music ("Pump up the Volume" is the best). If I'm outside, though, music is a no-no. I must be aware of my surroundings at all times.
While driving, music is a MUST. But only at volume 10 (which my passengers complain is much too low) unless the AC or heat is blasting or the windows are down.

When trying to sleep, music is a no-no. I prefer the sound of thunder storms instead (and, thankfully, there are apps and YouTube for that :laugh:)

The exceptions to this are: listening to news alerts on the radio, in the car, as well as listening to unknown song lyrics while driving. I have to turn up the volume to actually make out the words.

SO!- it all depends on the task at hand; but then, I don't like it loud.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I gotta blast music in my ears so I can shut up the thoughts that distract me while I'm studying.