• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ & eating disorder

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
First things first, do you believe that different personality types handle 'addictions' in different ways? Do they manifest themselves differently? Do these types reach sobriety in different ways?

That said, I am friends with an INFJ that is struggling with an eating disorder. I believe that I have recently been 'doorslammed' by her and I am trying to get back into her life to help her. We used to be best friends of 10 years, and within the last year I have been pushed out of her life.

I want to know what's going on inside of her head. She is a smart girl and I can't grasp how this could happen. I am familiar with eating disorders but I am just wondering if it affects personalities in different ways and what could be going on with this particular INFJ that I should be aware of. Thanks

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
My friend is an INFJ, as well. She struggles off and on with her weight. She'll go through phases where she gets absorbed in it. We've talked a lot about personalities and types. She says she cares how other people see her too much and I think she compares herself to the people she's around. She has door slammed me before, although it goes back and forth. My advice is definitely don't let her know you want to help her. They don't like to be the center of attention, especially in a pity way. That's how she will see it. I say get close to her again, but don't dare bring up her disorder, or she will slam you again. They seem to look at what people really mean and second guess themselves a lot. I would say be close to be close, not to help, although they will end up going hand in hand. In the end, you will be helping with this, and hopefully after some time has passed you will show your appreciation for her enough to help her feel more secure and in control of things. Take it slow, if nothing else. When's the last time you spoke? I would try to break the ice by offering up a really good memory and telling her you don't want to end it like it has been. Or, break the ice by offering some news-not gossip up about something you were both interested in.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Borderline Personality Disorder or Depressive Personality Disorder can lead to self-destructive behaviour such as anorexia or bulimia and it can be found in unhealthy Type One INFJs. Do you happen to know your friend's enneagram type? This personality matrice tells you which personality disorder corresponds to the most unhealthy version of the type. Here's a link to a Type One description, maybe you'll recognize your friend in it:
1 - Enneagram Type One: The Reformer

In my darkest moments, I lose appetite and I know I have often fasted telling myself it was for spiritual reasons (to seek God), but there was a part of me that was doing it to punish and purify myself. I only realized it after I read the book "Lost in the mirror" about BPD. I don't have BPD, but in depressive, stressful times, I feel and act like a mild BPD. Destroying relationships by overreacting and acting out on painful experiences is also a part of BPD. It might be what you call the "doorslam."

Wikipedia has good descriptions of each disorder's symptoms:

Borderline personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depressive personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

kccrush

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm an INFJ and confess that I had an eating disorder for several years that started in high school and went on through my 20's...it disappeared as soon as I came out and admitted to being gay. I tend to think it was all tied to that, but who knows for sure. I still battle with my body image and although I look good, and I'm in great shape, I still fret whenever I feel like I might be gaining weight. As for your friend, I suggest just being there for her and not bringing anything up. I remember when I was not eating, and then eating too much, the last thing I wanted to do was talk about it. I figured it out all on my own, but it took a long time. I found it hard to admit to having problems even to myself for such a long time, and it was only when I had the courage (or really got so tired of pretending to be something else) that everything in me got quickly untangled. Of course, if you see something getting serious, you should bring it up with her. At that point, I think, if something is serious then the girl (?) with whom you're friends is looking for help.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
I don't think you are going to find an easy solution to this issue with her, as you wouldn't with anyone. Without knowing her it's very hard to say what's going through in her mind, but I will say that I think INFJs (and introverts in general?) tend to withdraw when they're stressed. I know I do. I might stay there for months, if I need to. Does she keep in contact with her other friends?

An eating disorder is so much more than what it is on the surface. I am sorry to hear your friend has to go through this. It's hard, and might take a long time to come out of it. It's very nice of you to want to help her, I think anyone appreciates gentle nudges and acknowledgements, but if I would advise on anything, don't be pushy. Just let known you're there and that you care.

Do you know at all what might've pushed her away from you? If there's no external reason you can think of, it might be just that she's going through tough times and is withdrawing herself from everyone. If you guys were close before, it might just seem harshier to you, as she's putting up walls.

She might be processing everything and problem-solving the situation or she might be depressed and in actual need of help. If I were in her shoes I would just appreciate the person who could be able to "take it" and not pass judgements, who could understand and accept it's the way I deal and be there for support.

I want to know what's going on inside of her head. She is a smart girl and I can't grasp how this could happen. I am familiar with eating disorders but I am just wondering if it affects personalities in different ways and what could be going on with this particular INFJ that I should be aware of.

I'd go as far as to say eating disorder is just one minor part of a bigger issue. It's def. complex. Is there something else big stressing her out in her life right now?

ubee0173

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
she will become more introverted and impossible to reason with as she withdraws. anyone with an e.d. will withdraw- trust me, i registered as an infp for quite some time. advice? read up on it- she knows what shes doing is illogical and its not a matter of eating or not. its not her pushing you away, its the fucked up ideas in her head consuming her thoughts. be patient, but firm with her. dont pity or condescend- the reactions of others is a huge reason to withdraw further. when i was doing tht shit i didnt want to be around anyone i knew because i didnt want to hurt them. if it was something as simple as attention-seeking, she would stop when she got that attention, or advertise her eating disorder. encourage an open dialogue about it so its not the elephant in the room (poor choice of words, i know- but you know what i mean). dont force her to interact, but dont sit idly by while she goes off the deep end. i would encourage you to read "Wasted' by Marya Hornbacher. that will give you the best insight into what she is going through, its the only book about eating disorders i didnt throw across the room. seriously, that book is a fucking godsend. i really hope you are able to help, and im sorry you have to go through this!

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
I usually want to avoid stressful thoughts. For example, when I apply to a job, I don't want people to start asking me about it. It's not up to me at that point anymore. I want to forget all about it until they answer me. My mom calls me every day just to ask if there are any news about the job and that really really drives me crazy. I don't want to deal with the issue and wallow in it until I've gotten an answer myself.

Maybe with such a difficult subject as eating disorder she doesn't want to face the truth. Maybe, like me, she gets super-annoyed by everyone asking about it when she doesn't want to talk about it. My advice is to be there for her, not for her disorder (which makes people worried and thus the only thing they see). You should focus on the positive, because otherwise there are two options:
1) You talk about the difficult subject, get doorslammed, end up not being able to help her.
2) You avoid the difficult subject, end up not being able to help her, but you'll be friends.
The latter is definitely better, because you'll be able to be there for each other for other things. I don't think there is a miracle cure for such a condition, it takes time and she needs to realize things by herself.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Eating disorders can be difficult to deal with so when people are in a frame of mind that they cannot help themselves, they may shut other people out. They may perceive they are being criticized if they did not ask for help.

I was never diagnosed with an eating disorder and if I have one, it's not the major thing in the world. I do suspect I have a minor eating disorder. I try to watch what I eat and feel deprived and am quite gluttonous. It's kind of on and off when I watch what I eat and I do quite the opposite. When I was little, I was put on a special diet because my mom thought I had food sensitivities and after we ended the diet, I constantly felt deprived. I began to gain weight and be in the overweight zone when I was about 8 or 9 years old so it's been a life long struggle.

Sometimes, my mom goes off on tirades how I don't seem to know which foods are healthy, which are not, and I have no self control, she is overweight too and has been struggling with it. She has admitted herself that she's not the best example when it comes to eating healthy. I never called her out on not exactly being a model herself but thoughts like that reel through my head when she gets into lecture mode. Sometimes, when I am stressed, I admit stress eating comes into play.

foxtrot

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
2XtremeENFP, re. "do you believe that different personality types handle 'addictions' in different ways? Do they manifest themselves differently?" I think one thing to note when it comes to INFJs is much of the time they are perfectionists who also want to have a high level of control over their lives and the things that happen in it. many aspects of eating disorders revolve around trying to put control back into your life when there is something going on which you cannot make better no matter how hard you try.

I have recently been reflecting on the people i have 'doorslammed,' especially one doorslam which I did to a friend who was very toxic, but not in a malicious or purposeful way. i have been wondering if i regret it and if perhaps i had been too harsh at the time (i haven't reached a conclusion about this yet, i don't 'regret' doing it in so far as it was the right thing for me to do at the time, but i am unsure if i should try to amend what i did in that i can understand how abrupt and painful it may be on the receiving side). I think it would help you to reflect on why she has shut you out of her life. doorslamming comes from a sense of betrayal and it has its roots in the INFJs morals and principles (at least, that is how I understand it). if your intentions were 'pure' (unselfish, well-intended), you have a chance to amend your relationship. although rare to amend a doorslammed relationship, a well developed INFJ should be able to see past their own limitations and consider new information or amend their beliefs with enough evidence. IINFJs will always appreciate those that put in genuine effort, but it must be genuine, and it must be worthwhile for them to accept you back into their life. this being said, doorslams are not an easy decision for INFJs to make and it is a last-resort approach, so you will need to understand what led to this happening before you can make amends.

onto your next questions - eating disorders are extremely complicated. personally, this is a topic very close to my heart. it has been 6 years since i started developing an eating disorder and it has taken me nearly that long to reach out for help.

the first thing to know is that INFJs put other people first. for me, i continually denied to myself and others that the ED even existed. i did not have time to (and indeed, in a way i did not want to) care about myself because at the time i put all my energy and emotion into helping the people around me who were at conflict. INFJ will be loathe to focus on themselves if they 'should' be helping the people they love. of course, there are a multitude of reasons EDs develop, but that is what it was for me.

i could not say if INFJs are more prone to develop EDs, but from what i've experienced, i would say that yes, given the right circumstances, INFJs are susceptible to going down that path. perfectionism, rigid principles, determination, need to have control and order in their lives - these are all things that don't mix well with stressful circumstances and conflicts in the INFJs life. being unable to make things 'better' or help others despite trying the hardest out of all involved will take a great toll on INFJ. this is where it gets complicated. EDs are an awful, consuming illness which revolves around secrecy, shame, guilt and denial. this makes it a very difficult illness to identify and approach, for both the person suffering and those around them.

it is difficult to say whether it would be better to let INFJ know that you want to help them or to try and help them without letting them know. personally, i think INFJ will feel overwhelmingly grateful if someone cared enough about them to see past how well they hide an ED to see that they are not well. INFJ wants to be open and close to people, lying and manipulating caused by the ED goes against INFJs strong principles and hurts them to have to do it. personally, i think i would feel betrayed if someone tried to help me without letting me know - if i found out later it would feel like a betrayal and it would feel more like pity than if they had told me about it first. if you genuinely care and are ready to put your emotion and time into them, INFJ will feel it.

there is no sure way to approach EDs. all i think i can really say is that if people are not ready to recover, they will not. one uniquely dangerous thing about EDs is that when you are right in the middle of it, often you do not want to 'recover.' perhaps for INFJ especially, if they are not ready to recover you won't be able to convince them to. having said this, i was very good at hiding the ED and perhaps if someone had noticed, i would have seen that i needed help earlier. i also think INFJ will recover much faster than average once they are determined to do so. INFJ is extremely passionate and decisive - when they decide to recover, they will put all their mind to it and will not give up.

do what you think is the right thing. make sure you are open and honest in your communications. figure out why you were doorslammed and be compassionate, genuine and resilient in your interactions with INFJ. one last recommendation i can make - read the book '8 Keys to Recovery from and Eating Disorder' by Carolyn Costin - this was the very first resource i read when i decided to recover and it gave me so much information that i didn't realize i needed at the time.

best of luck - you are doing a good thing when you are trying to help others - and remember that you cannot go wrong if you try to help - even if you make mistakes, you will learn from them.