• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs and the source of their energy

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Some of the ENFPs I've known in real life who have grown up under incredibly stressful and difficult circumstances, still manage to maintain that irrepressible passion and energy that is so characteristic of this type. So the question is directed towards ENFPs, but any type can answer:

Where do you find the strength to not just keep going, but maintain such high energy levels as you do under difficult circumstances?

Does it come from the preservation of hope?
Losing yourself in your dreams?
Ambitions?

Again, this question is not strictly limited to ENFPs.

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
Plus innate, insane, unrealistic optimism that things will turn out right.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Do you also get high with a little help from your friends?

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
If things are really bad, I think about Holocaust survivors who came through it and were able to have relatively normal (although haunted) post-war lives.

Nothing I experience will ever be as bad as that.

I think of cancer sufferers who smile out of their emaciated bald heads.

I think of my uncle who died from emphysema but refused to stop laughing, even when it hurt his chest.

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have known very difficult circumstances. Most of my family died before I was 18.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Just thinking out loud so far...

I think it's so many factors it's hard to point to one source. Hope, optimism, believing in the impossible... learning that happiness isn't circumstantial and that life is what you make it.

I've been through a lot of shit in my life. For most of it I let the shit bog me down. Just recently I've been able to remain myself in spite of everything. So what it boils down to for me... if I dwell on my negative circumstances I will become depressed which equals no energy, no desire, no motivation. If I dwell on the positive parts of what I have and what could be my energy and motivation remain. So for me, it's a lot about my attitude and perspective...

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
Some of the ENFPs I've known in real life who have grown up under incredibly stressful and difficult circumstances, still manage to maintain that irrepressible passion and energy that is so characteristic of this type. So the question is directed towards ENFPs, but any type can answer:

Where do you find the strength to not just keep going, but maintain such high energy levels as you do under difficult circumstances?

Ambitions?

Again, this question is not strictly limited to ENFPs.

Loosing myself in my dreams (things don't have to end here in a bad situation) and ambitions has helped me preserve hope and hold out for better days.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have known very difficult circumstances. Most of my family died before I was 18.

same and it's alright...because yeah some people have it really tough...right now, this sec my life is pretty hard but before that it was easy...and this is just this chapter...i look at it like life tests you you know...and you come out stronger and closer to you...you can't buy that shit...it's something to be grateful for...not that the experience is pleasurable at the time but it certainly shows you so much about you and the people in your life and i value truth...honesty...i think it is a bit of delusional optimism mixed with insatiable curiosity of the human experience...it's like being high a lil bit...like look at all the pretty colors man...you know...and the people i admire the most are ones that have overcome great diversity...i don't value an easy plight in the same way...so...it is what it is and up to you to make it what you want.

KDude

Comes down to functions, I think.

Ne-Fi-Te (in that order) equals curiousity and enthusiasm in the unknown; sees potential in new experiences on fewer hints than most; has enough Fi passion to assert individualism, but not so much that they want to seclude themselves for long. They are not introverts. That's kind of the point, I guess, on how E/I find meaning and get their energy; and they have the real world smarts to get things done and behave with Te types well. INFPs aren't exactly the same. I can only speak for myself at least. As much as I keep trying to break out, I don't know how to be an extrovert. I don't know how to specialize, "go with the flow", be optimistic in the moment like an ISFP either. And I'm not as well rounded, curious, and enthusiastic like an ENFP (who've got enough ideas for themselves as well as others). I've been stuck in a rut for years. I don't even want to talk about it, but here I am derailing this thread somewhat (sorry!). It's simple enough to say that I'm bogged down by memories and ideals alike. I have other particular issues that probably stack on top of it and I'm not sure how to work through them with just "self-motivation" (like being a diagnosed depressive..and embarassingly, worse than that too. I don't talk about it with most because they end up conjuring up images of lunatics. Which also pisses me off about people.).

That said, sometimes I wonder if my ideas or even general attitude is even applicable outside. And I don't work well with the Te world either. "Why so serious?" Sometimes that's my motto with Te. In the end, it doesn't matter. I proudly diss all of the stuff that bothers me and stay in my rut..just recoiling, with more conviction and reasons to avoid finding a solid place in life. The only thing that keeps me inspired is trying to live up to things I believe, and extending Fi outwards instead of all of this self absorbed shit. I try to love. Not try. I mean, I think I do sometimes. In this way, I start seeming ENFP, but not quite as enthusiastic. Fi-Ne instead of Ne-Fi, I think. I'm at the point right now though that I'm not exactly doing that. It's push and pull.

Ugh.. Surely I'm going to regret this post.

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
WELL ROUNDED? ENFP? What planet are you on? I'm as well rounded as a stick with prickles. I'll give you well rounded! They tried to well-round me at school -- and some friend's mum signed me up to a children's football team thinking that getting muddy bloody knees would well-round me.

I can put on a feckin' good act of well-roundedness but it's just an act ...

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Comes down to functions, I think.

Ne-Fi-Te (in that order) equals curiousity and enthusiasm in the unknown; sees potential in new experiences on fewer hints than most; has enough Fi passion to assert individualism, but not so much that they want to seclude themselves for long. They are not introverts. That's kind of the point, I guess, on how E/I find meaning and get their energy; and they have the real world smarts to get things done and behave with Te types well. INFPs aren't exactly the same. I can only speak for myself at least. As much as I keep trying to break out, I don't know how to be an extrovert. I don't know how to specialize, "go with the flow", be optimistic in the moment like an ISFP either. And I'm not as well rounded, curious, and enthusiastic like an ENFP (who've got enough ideas for themselves as well as others). I've been stuck in a rut for years. I don't even want to talk about it, but here I am derailing this thread somewhat (sorry!). It's simple enough to say that I'm bogged down by memories and ideals alike. I have other particular issues that probably stack on top of it and I'm not sure how to work through them with just "self-motivation" (like being a diagnosed depressive..and embarassingly, worse than that too. I don't talk about it with most because they end up conjuring up images of lunatics. Which also pisses me off about people.).

That said, sometimes I wonder if my ideas or even general attitude is even applicable outside. And I don't work well with the Te world either. "Why so serious?" Sometimes that's my motto with Te. In the end, it doesn't matter. I proudly diss all of the stuff that bothers me and stay in my rut..just recoiling, with more conviction and reasons to avoid finding a solid place in life. The only thing that keeps me inspired is trying to live up to things I believe, and extending Fi outwards instead of all of this self absorbed shit. I try to love. Not try. I mean, I think I do sometimes. In this way, I start seeming ENFP, but not quite as enthusiastic. Fi-Ne instead of Ne-Fi, I think. I'm at the point right now though that I'm not exactly doing that. It's push and pull.

Ugh.. Surely I'm going to regret this post.

No, that's an excellent analysis of my question - I appreciate it. I'd agree too, especially on the "seeing potential in new experiences on fewer hints than most." That counts for a lot, I think.

Thanks to everyone who posted thus far. My interest was in relating certain ENFP strengths to where I am right now, I suppose. And I'd agree with KDude, again, INFPs have trouble with this sort of thing, because of that primary Fi. If I feel like shit, I start falling into a bad cycle and can't get out unless I start pushing.

I think finding strength just comes down to leaving the moment and finding something to hope for. :workout:

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
BTW no worries about the derailment of the thread, Kdude.

My advice is this: appreciate and love your INFP strengths. That's the way forward.

My way forward out of the rut I was in was to love and appreciate my ENFP strengths and stop beating myself up for my weaknesses.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dunno what you're on about but I grew up as a volatile ball of toxic emo-junk that was likely to detonate whenever. Did you ever wonder why a volcano errupts? Coz of the pressure it's under :D

I was told to restrain and reign myself in at every turn. You have to release that energy *somewhere* And that can be in that high energy, bubbly kinda way you were referring to or through the inferno-way I just described. And the worst part of it is..you go back to those same people for more of the same treatment :doh:

Coz otherwise, you feel detached, and alone and cold...and empty inside. Which is worse than all those volcano moments put together. At least they make you feel alive. Instead of dead.

Also, damn my curiosity! I love my Fi-world, but to fill it up with shiny, I'm drawn to those crazy people for new ideas and things and get myself into trouble again :blush:

I did build my Fi-world as my safe haven though. And I regularly, when I'm burned out, retreat there for a week, 2 weeks on end to recharge and lick my wounds..before I venture out again ;)

KDude

Also, damn my curiosity! I love my Fi-world, but to fill it up with shiny, I'm drawn to those crazy people for new ideas and things and get myself into trouble again :blush:

I've been recognizing lately what it really means when they say INFPs are fantasy oriented. The word fantasy makes it sound far fetched, but it's true enough. Because half.. most of the time, all of those "crazy people" and ideas I get my "shiny" from aren't even real. Sometimes they are, but it's distant. It's all part of things that align to my Fi world though..Ne plays a second role. Fi is where the inspiration is. It's cool hearing the difference though.

IFPs feel tension when they try to adapt the objective world to their inner one. It's as though some unformulated answer that would reveal the interconnectedness of the universe were trapped inside them, and all of the questions people ask are too small, can't contain what they have to give. This is one reason they turn to archetypal imagery---media figures, Gothic or Arthurian romance, goddesses--to represent their deepest values. These all encompassing images resonate with their inner sense of passion and idealism. But archetypes that have no organic connection to real experience are so all-compassing that everyday life falls short. IFPs can end up living frugally on anticipation, waiting for the right situation to claim them. -Personality Type p.383

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

Ambitions?

In difficult situations, I just keep on going, not necessarily because I feel like it, but because I look to the future and see that things won't solve itselves but I need to solve things with myself (those things that I can solve) and I have very strong urge to keep on going, to move on, to look for the new things.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
This constant high energy levels state is unknown to me.

But yes, when I interact with friends I tend to get a little high and can forget allmy thoughts, analysis, considerations that constantly fill my mind when I'm alone.

I've learnt recently that I need some form of constant stream of human interaction (outside my family, which actually tends to depress me rather than cheer me) in my daily life though...and that it invariably puts me in a long-termish better mood in life. It gives me something to look forward to. And I've learnt that that need should not be dismissed.

That is why, recently I've been trying to force myself to be in situations where I can meet people, even if I don't feel like it. Like, right now, I wanna get a job...not even for the money...but just so I can interact with new people everyday.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been recognizing lately what it really means when they say INFPs are fantasy oriented. The word fantasy makes it sound far fetched, but it's true enough. Because half.. most of the time, all of those "crazy people" and ideas I get my "shiny" from aren't even real. Sometimes they are, but it's distant. It's all part of things that align to my Fi world though..Ne plays a second role. Fi is where the inspiration is. It's cool hearing the difference though.

IFPs feel tension when they try to adapt the objective world to their inner one. It's as though some unformulated answer that would reveal the interconnectedness of the universe were trapped inside them, and all of the questions people ask are too small, can't contain what they have to give. This is one reason they turn to archetypal imagery---media figures, Gothic or Arthurian romance, goddesses--to represent their deepest values. These all encompassing images resonate with their inner sense of passion and idealism. But archetypes that have no organic connection to real experience are so all-compassing that everyday life falls short. IFPs can end up living frugally on anticipation, waiting for the right situation to claim them. -Personality Type p.383

Don't get me wrong, I do have the same kind of stuff in my inner world :D
But, to get it, I had to be exposed to a certain type of book when I was a child, which was handed to me by my father. I have to go and see things in magazines, on the internet, hear people talking about it. I *love* the internet for that reason, anything I catch a glimpse of, I can go look up and learn more about. I'm constantly gathering info...and the prettiest bits in that info, I keep..I stash them in my Fi-world, kinda like you would decorate your room to be a safe haven. As a child, that world needed decorating a lot more than it does these days of course..so Ne had its work cut out ;)

I also struggle with harmonizing that ideal world with reality, though I've found that easier these days. You learn ;)

The thing is, real world comes and drags you back anyways (work, studying, chores, groceries, etc etc). You cannot stay cooped up there forever..so when you do go out in that real world, you might as well collect some shiny :D

Chloe

WELL ROUNDED? ENFP? What planet are you on? I'm as well rounded as a stick with prickles. I'll give you well rounded! ...

Its because well rounded is defined in SJ terms. I think ENFP, or any type, can be well rounded.. it's matter of avoiding stuff that ISNT for you. You dont need to get organized, you dont need to be more "down to earth" to become well rounded. Actually, preventing yourself from being You by trying to organize yourself and stuff, will make you even more extreme ENFP...

i basicaly dont like when i read that enfp well rounded sounds...weird... it's just prejudice.