• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs and the source of their energy

KDude

Right now I believe the best form of Fi is outreaching.. "Love is the answer", right? Right? :D I believe that every once in awhile, I mean. There's a time and place for other approaches. When you start seeing the hard approach in the outside world from others though, you realize it can be pretty counterproductive. I don't want that for myself.

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
The points the OP made certainly help, but honestly, I think the answer may be much simpler than that. I think ENFP's just have a natural playfulness and curiosity for things. That works in a few ways. for example, say I had something bad happen to me, I will pretty much always think up a related joke and suddenly start smiling again. I think life is just full of fun in general. A lot of topics can be interesting to me, especially ones where I can use my Ne (which is pretty much everything). I feel like I'm in a playground all the time, so how sad can I be?

I'm always seeing the funny side at the wrong moment.

I had dinner last night with my ex-wife and her parents (we are very good friends, just disastrous as a couple). Her mum is having a hip operation. I think I must have misheard or misunderstood because I thought they were talking about her having an epidural for the op. Quick as a flash I heard myself asking her if she was having another baby. (She's nearly 80.) Then I heard myself suggesting she could have a water operation. (My son was a water birth, no pain control.) No-one else thought it was funny ... eeek ...

Once I was at an important business meeting in Auckland in a flash café with some very serious men in shiny suits. Suddenly the thought crossed my mind -- what if I start acting like Mr Bean! I had to pretend to sneeze to cover my laugh. I had to bite my tongue hard the whole way through to stop myself dissolving onto the floor in response to the thoughts going through my head ....

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I had dinner last night with my ex-wife and her parents (we are very good friends, just disastrous as a couple). Her mum is having a hip operation. I think I must have misheard or misunderstood because I thought they were talking about her having an epidural for the op. Quick as a flash I heard myself asking her if she was having another baby. (She's nearly 80.) Then I heard myself suggesting she could have a water operation. (My son was a water birth, no pain control.) No-one else thought it was funny ... eeek ...

Once I was at an important business meeting in Auckland in a flash café with some very serious men in shiny suits. Suddenly the thought crossed my mind -- what if I start acting like Mr Bean! I had to pretend to sneeze to cover my laugh. I had to bite my tongue hard the whole way through to stop myself dissolving onto the floor in response to the thoughts going through my head ....

haha...omg yes i know...i've had some highly inappropriate but hilarious to me foot in the mouth moments...it's not easy being cheesy...people just don't get it do they my lil amphibious friend.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
source of my energy :

what i want
knowing that the only one who can create/give everything that i want is me, myself and i
so what else is there but my passion and my energy
it'd be different if i don't want anything
but i do
i want something(s) so badly
some people just don't want/believe in anything and it leaves them in a ditch
and so i keep trying, even when it's really, really difficult

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
haha...omg yes i know...i've had some highly inappropriate but hilarious to me foot in the mouth moments...it's not easy being cheesy...people just don't get it do they my lil amphibious friend.

'Inappropriate' is an odd word. It can so often be used of us ENFPs. It's a vague word that defines conformity to social norms.

It gets used when something happens that's not actually wrong or bad, just not in line with expectations or norms.

This links in with the thread I started about the basic dilemma of the ENFP. A lot of that stuff inside our heads that we want to express and share is stuff that we've come to know is deemed 'inappropriate' by it seems a majority of people we interact with. Not wrong, or bad, just not what you say in social situations ...

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7

a few days ago a drunk driver hit and knocked down a powerpole 3 houses down from me so i headed over there and joined the crowd of observers. the pole had a garage sale sign on it with the address posted. so i told the crowd while pointing at the sign..."hey look, there's a garage sale anybody wanna check it out with me?":D

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
'Inappropriate' is an odd word. It can so often be used of us ENFPs. It's a vague word that defines conformity to social norms.

It gets used when something happens that's not actually wrong or bad, just not in line with expectations or norms.

This links in with the thread I started about the basic dilemma of the ENFP. A lot of that stuff inside our heads that we want to express and share is stuff that we've come to know is deemed 'inappropriate' by it seems a majority of people we interact with. Not wrong, or bad, just not what you say in social situations ...

right...i know and we can be seen as insensitive too i think...because people don't know how to separate reality/nonreality or something...like...in nonreality land...it could be really funny if this old woman slipped and fell in the ditch into that pile of mud...i mean...if we saw such a thing we might laugh at just the absurdity of it...but it doesn't mean it's backed by maliciousness...we'd get up and help too

that's the thing...we laugh at life and find things absurd or weird...or try to make them be when they're not to amuse ourselves...it's all in good fun tho...not meant to hurt anyone.

ubee0173

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
if everyone could see the humor that we do, there would be a lot less dissatisfaction in the world. "Things get bad for all of us, almost continually, and what we do under the constant stress reveals who/what we are." - charles bukowski

i get my energy and optimism from the people i surround myself with. and there isnt a moment in my life, no matter how horrible (and ive dealt with my fair share of shit), that i dont know it could be worse. there are terrible things in this world, and my life is amazing in comparison. and instead of hoping things dont get 'that bad', im going to enjoy every second of things being 'this good.'

"Man In Black"

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.
I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times.
I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
About the road to happiness through love and charity,
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.
Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.
I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.
And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believen' that we all were on their side.
Well, there's things that never will be right I know,
And things need changin' everywhere you go,
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.
Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black.

fuck wearing black. all those people he wrote about deserved happiness,not mourning. im gonna wear yellow to remind them that sadness is only temporary.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
You know I think it's N.. When things are tough I do often get lost in my dreams and that preserves my hope and gives me energy and zeal.... my dream life is very resillient and the best place on earth... so what's there to be sad about? :D

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
innate, insane, unrealistic optimism that things will turn out right.

+1

i agree with ENFP inappropriateness too... when things are bad i naturally look for what is not so bad... but others think it is unacceptable to stray from the bad! like i think it is good to dance at a funeral... not because there is any happiness in a loved one dying, but because we are all going to die someday and maybe hopefully rejoin them and they would want us to have fun and be happy even without them and it's a way of showing love and celebrating a good life and everything will be okay and death is a part of the song and dance of life which will always go on...

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

Yeh, some of my favourite moments tend to be seeing the insanity no one else sees. I've got amused by irony and silly connections in the strangest situations. And I have a strange drive to add insanity and a little risk to formal tasks. For example, my university entrance selections read something like Engineering (scholars program), Engineering (university X), Engineering (university Y), Horse Studies, Fishing Operations. For some reason I kept thinking about being a shrimp boat captain :).