• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] Is sadness beautiful to any of you?

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
I read somewhere that INFPs/ENFPs (and probably other types too, but specifically those two) are naturally attracted to sadness. They're the deep poets that write of mourning and death - that find the beauty in things most people may not.

I personally find sadness to be an extremely beautiful thing. It is very, very touching. It is one of the only things that can truly move me.

It's a VERY hard thing to explain, and I wish I could explain better, but I really can't put it into words.

I'm sure some of you understand?

Here are some examples of things that really move me,

the_world_of_sorrow_by_webby85.jpg

Depression__by_Crushed_Chrysalis.png

Suicide_by_Omille.jpg

Suicide_Apocalypse_by_Nadalin.jpg

P

Phantonym

Sadness is very touching and moves me, and of course there is beauty in sadness, for me it's mostly in solitary surroundings and melancholy, something that is seemingly detached from the rest. But it's is also very depressing too see in others. I can't say that I'm attracted to sadness, though. I'm fine with my own sadness, but seeing others in a lot of pain like that kicks my empathy into overdrive and that is too painful for me. I'd rather try to alleviate their sadness in any way I possibly can. That could be regarded as selfish from my part.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see how sadness can be beautiful and some of my favorite songs and works of art are sad but I also prefer not to dwell on the sad stuff too much.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
wow those pictures made me think of livejournal blogs. circa 2002.

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
Sad art, music and poetry are beautiful to me. However, real human tragedy is simply sad, not beautiful.

This is my favourite poem of all time.

O Rose, thou art sick!
The invisible worm
That flies in the night,
In the howling storm,
Has found out thy bed
Of crimson joy:
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I find melancholy to be fairly aesthetic and almost idealistic, in a lot of instances.
[YOUTUBE="oEJJxPgwkzA"]Devin Townsend - Away[/YOUTUBE]

Good example ^

I really like decrepit abandonments, too, they just look awesome. This is one of the primary reasons urban exploration is interesting to me.
I would say I tend to find beauty or appeal in things that others often don't, maybe... Things that are vaugely "dark" and whatnot.

But, having dealt with the realities of depression both in others and myself, I'd have to say I don't find things of that sort of severe nature at all appealing.

I'm not an NF though, so, nevermind. ;P

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
I like music videos with post-apocalyptic scenes.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I just think life is beautiful.. Being alive is beautiful.. Being sad is part of being alive and so it has value and beauty.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I've noticed that it seems easier to write sad stories. The happy ones often come out wrong. I wonder if it is because when the audience sees a sad person, they relate, but when they see a happy person, they feel jealous.

So, anyone making a happy story needs to make his character sad first. Or do something else to not make the viewer jealous. Take Forrest Gump... it's ok he is happy since you can also feel good about yourself not being as dumb as he is. It's also ok for anything cute to be happy, since anything that can be called cute is by definition something inferior to you.

Funny how powerplay makes our empathy one sided...

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Definitely more of an INFP thing than an ENFP thing. I like emotion in general, I like being changed by music etc. however, sadness is just one emotion that though I respect in artistic contexts, I just don't want to dwell on. Note that I don't have the same issue with anger.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's my default state and the most beautiful of the emotions in my opinion -- the one I enjoy most. Fall is the perfect, perfect season for it. I'm so happy in such a melancholy way when the leaves start to fall.

I associate this with 4-ness.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To me, every emotion is beautiful, though some more than others. So yes..sadness can be excruciatingly beautiful to me :)

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
No I don't find sadness beautiful, but necessary. I can find melancholy beautiful, definitely. I am attracted to melancholy at certain times especially, but I am not attracted to sadness. I usually want to fix or prevent it...

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I think there very well can be beauty in sadness. On the other hand it is mostly also just that, sad.

KDude

I just think that sadness should be recognized. Not that it's beautiful. Admitting to sadness, and working through it, can be admired. Not the sadness itself.

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sadness, not nessisarily. Deepness, yes. The feeling of sadness can be an extreemly touching emotion. When I am depressed, I feel like I am spirituality aligned and whole. But thats just me. :D

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Sadness from the loss of something beautiful may feel beautiful in its profundity.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
What's beautiful is that it's possible to care that much.