• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] Is sadness beautiful to any of you?

Chloe

no. sadness is only beautiful when i am learning something from it and when it smells like a new beginning.
so not pure sadness.

EDIT: All pics from the OP do nothing for me, except that its obvious how badly photoshoped they are.

Chloe

sadness with that tinge of hope (in writing, music, art) always knocks the wind out of me- in a good way. its the feeling you get after bawling your eyes out for hours when you suddenly realize 'hey- im gonna be okay!' and your heart swells with this weird euphoria and your on top of the world again. if something makes me feel that without having to do the crying part... amazing. there is a song by bright eyes called 'an attempt to tip the scales'- makes me feel that way every time i hear it. so i wouldnt really say its sadness that i find beautiful, but the hope that comes from rising above your lowest. i think as with most nf's, we are capable of feeling immense sadness, but the other end of that spectrum is what draws us to the sadness sort of a 'the lower you can fall, the higher you can fly' sort of thing. we're emotion-junkies.
:wubbie:

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
No. Sadness is a bad thing for me, and I'd rather get out of it than contemplate it.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a minor point of connect, yes -- no matter what I look like, I see the beauty and life in the face of death, and I see the pall of death upon that which is alive. I see it all at once, I can't separate it or stay in the Now. I see someone in front of me, I can simultaneously see them at their decline as well as in their youth. It's all the same to me, and it stirs up a mix of feelings.

Just watched Pan's Labyrinth again over the weekend with my son, and that movies really captures a lot of that feeling for me... ephemerality of life, and what a beautiful and tragic thing that is. That whole concept is only accentuated with existential awareness, which suggests that there is no real eternity where life continues, that death is the end, and yet life and one's existence is even more beautiful because of its fragile, temporary nature.

I would like to say that I disagree with some of the rest, since I find sadness in this vein beautiful and moving... but your comments about masochism might have some truth in them -- the pain and push/pull of opposing emotions for some reason feels pleasurable on some level.

I balled my eyes out watching that movie.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not really. Well, certainly there are sad works of art, literature, music, film etc that I find extremely beautiful and moving. But it's not really the sadness that makes them so, it's the whole picture... If I'm going to experience something (in terms of art) that's sad, I kind of want it to be somehow uplifting as well.

I think I was more like to feel that sad was beautiful when I was in my teens. I guess I'm more...practical...now. And I feel like life can be sad enough without celebrating it, so to speak.

I think it's more of an enneagram 4 thing and I am definitely not an e4. My INFJ best friend is, and she is much more drawn to "sad is beautiful" than I am.