• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] Is sadness beautiful to any of you?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
First of all, like some others, I don't find the OP pictures so much sad as disturbing, or creepy. I actually think there are some pretty nifty pictures there, but they aren't beautiful because of sadness or any other mood they express. They are beautiful because of their artistic qualities.

I guess I'm not much of an expressionist. I'll only bother to ask what mood is being conveyed if I've first decided that the work is aesthetically pleasing enough to be worth paying attention to.

I don't think sadness or any other mood is particularly beautiful. Some moods/emotions/feelings certainly are good and desirable, and sadness is absolutely not one of them. Happiness is in my mind the only really characteristic of anything being good at all. That puts sadness in a bad spot, essentially the worst spot.

When one starts saying stuff like "beauty can be ugly" it might sound profound but in reality it's completely meaningless.

That's because it's a contradiction.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i didn't look at the op because i'm not in the mood for potentially sad pics...but to answer the question...yes i do think it can be...some of the most beautiful songs are ones that break my heart...i find beauty in the things that connect us...the experience so many of us share...that emotion we all know so well...that pain none of us are immune to...there's an odd beauty in that...in the depth of emotion.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
But without that sadness/pain you'd have nothing to compare/contrast the triumph with.

Yup. You can feel victorious without pain, but you cannot feel triumphant without conquering those who have done you grievous harm.

Sadness is beautiful when associated with "making things right once again." It's beautiful when an intense, but star-crossed relationship comes to an end, because the sadness comes from the warmth of memories. It's not from the loss of something good, but from the realization that it just was never meant to be. It's similar to a beautifully played chord in a sad piece, gorgeous because it makes you feel something, and by god, that reminds you that there's still something human inside you.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's definitely not beautiful but I can't just turn away. I have to figure out some way to fight it or "reverse it" by donating or volunteering and correcting others when they spout ignorance about such things.

I didn't mean metaphorically, i meant literaly...visually.
Also i'm not sure you purse is big enough or your body omnipresent enough to be able to respond in the way you suggest to everything along these lines that goes on, or (even) that you are aware of...it's just not possible.
That does not mean you shouldn't try of course, i try myself but it's a long old road.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
I didn't mean metaphorically, i meant literaly...visually.
Also i'm not sure you purse is big enough or your body omnipresent enough to be able to respond in the way you suggest to everything along these lines that goes on, or (even) that you are aware of...it's just not possible.
That does not mean you shouldn't try of course, i try myself but it's a long old road.

I try. I shouldn't but I try. Otherwise it'd just eat me alive. Hard to explain.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I try. I shouldn't but I try. Otherwise it'd just eat me alive. Hard to explain.
No i get it. I sometimes feel i am a misplaced warrior.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
I don't find sadness particularly beautiful....bitter-sweet sure is though.

kccrush

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm moved most by sadness that I feel as a result of a personal experience. I'm seldom in love with a sad situation that I hear about third-hand. But yes, especially in my 20's I was moved deeply by sad situations. As I got older, I discovered that sadness is a luxury, and that most of the time, there's not enough time in the day to be in that place. I have to make time to find that place within me to celebrate what I see as truths that have, typically, yielded a good deal of sadness. Like creating a regular internal mourning period. It helps me come full circle if I do this on a semi-regular basis. But like I said, it's a luxury and I know I'm not supposed to be engaging in this type of activity too often because it distracts me from happiness, which I've discovered, it just as lofty a goal.

ubee0173

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
sadness with that tinge of hope (in writing, music, art) always knocks the wind out of me- in a good way. its the feeling you get after bawling your eyes out for hours when you suddenly realize 'hey- im gonna be okay!' and your heart swells with this weird euphoria and your on top of the world again. if something makes me feel that without having to do the crying part... amazing. there is a song by bright eyes called 'an attempt to tip the scales'- makes me feel that way every time i hear it. so i wouldnt really say its sadness that i find beautiful, but the hope that comes from rising above your lowest. i think as with most nf's, we are capable of feeling immense sadness, but the other end of that spectrum is what draws us to the sadness sort of a 'the lower you can fall, the higher you can fly' sort of thing. we're emotion-junkies.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
6w5
Only certain types. The stock, cry your eyes out kind feels cheap, like most things that only involve one emotion. The kind of sadness that's mixed with more complex, gritty overtones though...

HighwayChild

Enneagram
4w5
Sadness isn't a feeling I would wish to keep for long periods of time. I do find it beautiful though. It's been a part of who I am for so long that when I'm sad it's almost comfortable. I am a friend of sadness. When I see sadness from an outside perspective, it truly touches me. Music, art, stories, movies, all of it. It's some of the best art overall in my opinion. It's also kind of more inspiring to me. I can look at something sad and my heart just reaches for it. I can't help but put myself in their shoes. I want to help a little bit, or let them just talk and hope they feel better. It's an expression that is more real to me than anything else and when I'm not sad for awhile and am happy, I don't know how to handle it, though I love it and embrace the unfamiliar territory. I find happiness facinating and also beautiful in a different way, though I'm much more inclined to throw it off as hokey or over the top. I like witnessing a transformation of sadness into happiness. Sadness is completely realistic and I think it's healthy to embrace it when it occurs instead of ignoring it. If you completely let it become you though, it's unhealthy, obviously. I think that embracing it makes you stronger in the long run. Feeling of melancholy or sadness seem to annoy most people though.
I absolutely love those pictures.

HighwayChild

Enneagram
4w5
But like I said, it's a luxury and I know I'm not supposed to be engaging in this type of activity too often because it distracts me from happiness, which I've discovered, it just as lofty a goal.

from a personal outlook on inner sadness, I really think those are wise words.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Beauty has an intrinsic sadness in that we perceive it’s ephemerality – we mourn it before it is lost because its passing is sad, and everything that is beautiful must fade, every beautiful experience must eventually end. I think maybe it’s more poignant for Ns since we are rarely completely immersed in the moment, but always looking ahead to what might be and what will be - dissolution.

As a minor point of connect, yes -- no matter what I look like, I see the beauty and life in the face of death, and I see the pall of death upon that which is alive. I see it all at once, I can't separate it or stay in the Now. I see someone in front of me, I can simultaneously see them at their decline as well as in their youth. It's all the same to me, and it stirs up a mix of feelings.

Just watched Pan's Labyrinth again over the weekend with my son, and that movies really captures a lot of that feeling for me... ephemerality of life, and what a beautiful and tragic thing that is. That whole concept is only accentuated with existential awareness, which suggests that there is no real eternity where life continues, that death is the end, and yet life and one's existence is even more beautiful because of its fragile, temporary nature.

I would like to say that I disagree with some of the rest, since I find sadness in this vein beautiful and moving... but your comments about masochism might have some truth in them -- the pain and push/pull of opposing emotions for some reason feels pleasurable on some level.

gromit

likes this
There have been a couple very sad moments in different movies that I have found poignant. I think it must be because of something about the human spirit...

A lot of the times I cannot imagine the present moment or condition is not going to last because of how powerful it is at the moment. But from time to time, I feel a little wistful, because I know that something beautiful isn't permanent, like on some autumn afternoons, with the brilliant trees all around me. It is breathtaking, but a little sad, because it changes so quickly and the colors are gone so quickly.

Is it what you're talking about?

ItsAGuy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
A long time ago, as a kid, smitten for a decade with my inseparable tomboy girlfriend, I thought I could die of sadness if anything ever happened to her, and I found I rather liked the idea. I wonder what ever happened to her?

HighwayChild

Enneagram
4w5
As a minor point of connect, yes -- no matter what I look like, I see the beauty and life in the face of death, and I see the pall of death upon that which is alive. I see it all at once, I can't separate it or stay in the Now. I see someone in front of me, I can simultaneously see them at their decline as well as in their youth. It's all the same to me, and it stirs up a mix of feelings.

Just watched Pan's Labyrinth again over the weekend with my son, and that movies really captures a lot of that feeling for me... ephemerality of life, and what a beautiful and tragic thing that is. That whole concept is only accentuated with existential awareness, which suggests that there is no real eternity where life continues, that death is the end, and yet life and one's existence is even more beautiful because of its fragile, temporary nature.

I would like to say that I disagree with some of the rest, since I find sadness in this vein beautiful and moving... but your comments about masochism might have some truth in them -- the pain and push/pull of opposing emotions for some reason feels pleasurable on some level.

I think a perfect example of beauty in sadness and happiness, emotions being pushed one way and pulled another, and expressed in the form of art through a movie has to be 'What Dreams May Come'. Transcending from despair to euphoria. It really touches on so many levels of emotion and is stimulating through visual beauty as well. I will admit, I cry like a lil' bitch multiple times every time I watch that movie. Tears of joy and of sadness. It's absolutely beautiful. Celine Deon's song 'My Heart Will Go On' is another example of art that I find so beautiful in it's expression of sadness that I get goosebumps. 'Black' by Pearl Jam is another, though that one is mostly sad with some resolution in the end that isn't quite as happy, but resolution none the less.