• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] INTJ Trouble With ENFP - Please Help

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi NFers! So I have a very close, important friendship with this ENFP girl. Right around the beginning of July, I moved away. I had to because I couldn't live where I was living anymore, due to employment issues. I tried to make it very clear to her that this didn't change anything in our relationship, and that she was still of utmost importance to me. I told her that I will be moving back, and I meant it and do plan on moving back once I get my financial house in order. She seemed to accept that. Now here's what doesn't make sense to me, I understand that it's a fairly common trait for ENFPs, but it's still very difficult for me to accept. I've tried contacting her on numerous occasions, via email, phone, texting, etc. Sometimes she responds, usually she doesn't. She tells me that she loves me, etc, but I have a tough time seeing how a person can totally forget to write back or return the call, or whatever, of somebody who matters to them at all. I wouldn't do that to a simple acquaintance, let alone somebody I care deeply for. I guess what I'm wondering is, is this behavior a sign that she's written me off, and is no longer interested in me in a romantic sense? Or is it something I just need to get used to?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
edit - you are romantic. my bad, missed that. brb. this is complicated.

okay.

the biggest questions here: how romantic is the relationship? how far did you move, and when do you plan to get back, and did you ask her to come with you? did she have any desire to come with you?

long distance relationships... for me at least, they're hard. i can be in love with someone from far away, but unless i see them periodically, it really kills me inside and it's just easier to let go and immerse myself in my own world instead. it's hard to tell you anything specific without at least a general idea of how close/how far/how long, but it's not textbook-characteristic of ENFP not to respond to the person they love romantically.

on the bright side, it seems consensus from the ENFP thread that, in general, ENFP tends to hold on to (at least an idea of) the love they had for their previous partners. that is to say - all hope is not lost.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have to make clear that we were never "dating", however both of us were very much enamored with each other, and saw each other all the time. She expressed on multiple occasions her romantic interest in me, and of course I reciprocated.

I figured it might be that she feels abandoned by me, but I told her up front, that this is not permanent. There's really not much I could do about it, I need work and there aren't any jobs in the area.

It seems like I'm kind of stuck here. I want her to understand that I love her, more than anything, but I can't get past the fact that I need money. I have debts and obligations which need to be taken care of.

I just wish there were something I could do about this. It's horrible. I'd move back today if I could, if that would make a difference.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have to make clear that we were never "dating", however both of us were very much enamored with each other, and saw each other all the time. She expressed on multiple occasions her romantic interest in me, and of course I reciprocated.

I figured it might be that she feels abandoned by me, but I told her up front, that this is not permanent. There's really not much I could do about it, I need work and there aren't any jobs in the area.

It seems like I'm kind of stuck here. I want her to understand that I love her, more than anything, but I can't get past the fact that I need money. I have debts and obligations which need to be taken care of.

I just wish there were something I could do about this. It's horrible. I'd move back today if I could, if that would make a difference.

aw, i'm sorry :(

did you ask her if she wanted to go with you? or establish some kind of way you could keep in more constant contact? and how often do you contact her? i'm not trying to hound you with questions, sorry if it seems that way, but it's so hard to tell otherwise...

i feel like, if someone i really cared about romantically suddenly told me they had to move away, it would kinda depend on how long they mean... i could handle a year maybe, but more than that? i don't know... unless we were able to see one another fairly regularly. and i would probably keep in rabid contact.

but this is just going by me, of course. it's hard to know... maybe she's just very distracted and busy, but it's hard to imagine that she's not feeling at least a tiny bit sad/frustrated/abandoned.

have you tried asking her about setting up some kind of regular contact? if not, maybe you could... or have an old friend from your old area drop by on her with some flowers from you... or send her goofy cards in the mail... just little things that help her remember you might be gone but you're still there...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wouldn't worry about the distraction stuff. It's typical of us and my friends have the hardest time pinning me down and getting me to answer stuff or call back. We're usually in the moment and in the moment we're always happy to hear from you or see you, but our attention gets distracted in the next (that doesn't mean we don't miss you or think of you btw!).

And yes, that little flame sticks around even with no contact though it's way more painful if you truly care for the guy. I had a three year long long distance relationship with my so, but we were dating and a couple at the time so do keep this in mind. It worked becoz he was, much like yourself, INTJ and therefore time-efficient :D
He called me every night at first, later on twice week. He mailed me (I love mailing..it gives me a chance to respond on my own time), but most importantly, we talked on irc, keeping our interaction fresh.

Now, the key is to catching her when it's already part of her life. I dunno if she typically likes to talk at specific times on the phone, or is on the internet typically in the evenings for instance. Coz that would be perfect, it means that she can be online, doing her thing while talking to you via msn or skype. That way it fits into her routine (yes, even we have routines :D) and you guys can build on that friendship you have, doing the prep work for when you return to hopefully date ;)

pinballs

MBTI Type
INFP
hey - i saw the original post, and it made me think of an ENFP i know who i'm similarly confused about .. they seem to need a lot of attention and will be upset if they don't get it, genuinely reproachful and hurt (although they won't say it), yet they will seldom be in touch themselves.

my first reaction is to think it is sort of sweet that they want to hear from you and receive regular affirmation, and almost don't think what they have to say in return matters as much, because of course they love YOU ..

but it can be the case that i'm extremely hurt by not having heard from them, yet when we do finally make contact, and i'm admittedly slightly cold, they will heap the blame on and present a constructed narrative for how unloved they are.

we each feel like the injured party and think the other is trying to leave. me for a lack of regular contact, ENFP for a lack of warmth.

a similar imbalance is the hyper-sensitivity of ENFP - who will choose to take offence at every possible juncture, yet doesn't see that their need to be chased puts the other person in an almost demeaning position. if i back off i get blamed for abandoning.
i'm happy to give attention, but there is no acknowledgment of how painful the uncertainty is of not hearing back.

sorry to go off track, but i relate to the frustration - without knowing the exact situation, i would guess that the ENFP secretly blames you and can't accept that anything be more important than your relationship. if you said you were moving back tomorrow how would she react?

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I haven't really given enough detail here, have I? Anyway, her moving down with me is not an option, for multiple, not entirely relevant reasons. As far as how long I'm gone, it could be anywhere from 6 months to 3 years, depending on how things go. I'm trying to get a decent job right now, if that doesn't happen I'm probably going to be joining the army, in which case I would be gone for a minimum of 2 years. She knows this, and has accepted the possibility, at least she tells me she has. I have made one trip back since I moved, and she wasn't available to meet at the time, but said she would have liked to.

I'll most likely be heading back this weekend. I think I might just have to surprise her...

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess I haven't really given enough detail here, have I? Anyway, her moving down with me is not an option, for multiple, not entirely relevant reasons. As far as how long I'm gone, it could be anywhere from 6 months to 3 years, depending on how things go. I'm trying to get a decent job right now, if that doesn't happen I'm probably going to be joining the army, in which case I would be gone for a minimum of 2 years. She knows this, and has accepted the possibility, at least she tells me she has. I have made one trip back since I moved, and she wasn't available to meet at the time, but said she would have liked to.

I'll most likely be heading back this weekend. I think I might just have to surprise her...

Aw, she's probably totally mooning over you in your absence and finds it hard to accept that you could move away like that.
I'm not sure about the army thing though, do you think she could hang on for two years for you? Are you both quite young?
Oh, heres the big question, do you love her?

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aw, she's probably totally mooning over you in your absence and finds it hard to accept that you could move away like that.
I'm not sure about the army thing though, do you think she could hang on for two years for you? Are you both quite young?
Oh, heres the big question, do you love her?

She says she's willing to wait for me if that's what has to happen. Yes, we both are fairly young. I'm 24, she's 21. And yes, I love her very much, and I have told her. And she has said the same thing about me. Basically, we both think that neither of us is mature enough for a "relationship" at this point in our lives. We both have some growing up to do, and both recognize this. I'm just not sure that her conscious knowledge is in line with her feelings. I can't shake the thought that she feels hurt by me, as much as she says otherwise.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's possible the situation hurts her without her blaming it on you...just pretty much sadness and regret that the situation is what it is ;)

I know first hand this aint easy..but, it is doable, I'm living proof of that.

Good luck with your journey together.

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

if this were me, I'd be acting in this manner because it'd be a side effect of me trying to forget how much this situation sucks :alttongue: when stuff like this happens i try to keep myself really busy so i can be distracted and stay productive, otherwise it's like skylights said, i'll sit around in my own little world and be sad and won't get anything done except feel awful. This kind of situation can be very emotionally painful and i'd guess the way she's acting somehow stems from this.

we definitely speak the language of "this is how i FEEL" so let her know that the lack of contact hurts your feelings and see what she has to say. Sometimes ya'll are just so self-sufficient it's easy, for me at least, to think that letting you do that is what's best so she might not even realize that it's hurting you, especially if she's very hurt herself. i don't know, but either way you should definitely communicate this to her and have a dialogue about it, if you haven't.

like satine said i wouldn't worry about it, that flame definitely sticks around. and YES if she likes surprises then definitely go surprise her if you go home and visit :)

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the help, Satine! And GemPOPGem, and pinballs, and skylights! I'm thinking what I'm going to do is when I arrive this weekend, catch her totally off guard, when she's not expecting me at all, and bring her a gift, maybe a drawing or a card or something, she really loves that stuff. I'll make it very clear to her that I still love her very much, and that I haven't forgotten her. And then I guess I'll just see where it goes from there...

Thanks for your help too, stringstheory. Yes, I have told her that. I've tried to put it in her terms as much as possible, but that only seems to go so far. I guess I'll just have to wait it out, and see how things go.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for the help, Satine! And GemPOPGem, and pinballs, and skylights! I'm thinking what I'm going to do is when I arrive this weekend, catch her totally off guard, when she's not expecting me at all, and bring her a gift, maybe a drawing or a card or something, she really loves that stuff. I'll make it very clear to her that I still love her very much, and that I haven't forgotten her. And then I guess I'll just see where it goes from there...

Thanks for your help too, stringstheory. Yes, I have told her that. I've tried to put it in her terms as much as possible, but that only seems to go so far. I guess I'll just have to wait it out, and see how things go.

Thats great! Let us know how it goes.

P.s if your old enough for love your old enough for a relationship... not marrige and kids but, you know, a relationship is really ok at 21 & 24 :).

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

no problem; that's unfortunate and i'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes if it really hurts Fi can get a little selfish..in this case it's us, not you :alttongue: i hope your visit goes well!^^

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So a little bit of an update. The girl being discussed in this topic is now out of my life, basically. I saw her a couple days ago, and she told me that she thought we should not remain in communication with each other, and that it was time for us to go our separate ways. She claims she still loves me, but that with our situations being what they are, that it's best for us to part. It really sucks. I wish there were some way I could change her mind, but I know it's not possible. I don't know if I'll ever see her again, but if I do, I'm not giving up.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Seeing as I've been away for a while, I guess this puts me in the perfect situation to be the douche.

As cruel as it may seem, it's easy for ENFP's to love the ones who are close to them first and foremost. Therefore when you move away, it's hard for an ENFP to keep up that same level of friendliness. Visit often, I think that's the best way.