• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] I dislike being an ENFP.

KDude

Stereotypes are helpful to the point, I think. I mean, not one sentence "stereotypes" or labels, but typical descriptions. There should be some way to connect the dots. If you were a complete mute, unfun, and misanthropist (for example) and you typed as ENFP..the champion/inspirer, then it might be a good idea to go back to the drawing board. :D

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Could just be low on Fi...high on Ne-Te

Or one could just assume that this is an ENFP who has his shit together.

Fi that is well and properly developed is still introverted, and a lack of emo outbursts could imply either "suppressed Fi" or "developed Fi."

i think this is true... i would call myself an ENFP with well-developed Te but average-developed Fi, and i do tend to conform more to the stereotype than to not. i think to not conform with the stereotype would almost require very well-developed Ti (surprising since it's our 7th function, but certainly not impossible) and either very well-developed or well-suppressed Fi.

taking this list...

low/supressed Fi
low P
high T

I am not a maelstrom of emotions. I am highly logical. I rarely pay attention to my emotions. Emotional people irritate me.

I am not particularily disorganized.

I am not flaky. I am NOT irrational.

I have no problem with confrontation, I don't mind arguing.

I can take criticism. Infact, I don't even care.

I can say no. I can say no and make sure you know I mean it.
  • nothing in particular

I am not a drama queen. I HATE drama. I keep my issues to myself.
  • nothing in particular either. most Fis aren't drama queens. in truth, drama queen is a stupid stereotype for an ENFP because we really aren't (except possibly when angry). Fi kind of sucks at it, really.

i'm still ambivalent on the T/F count, because these things seem much more Ti than Te.

but there are gonna be some people in every type that lie really close to the borders, so there's nothing wrong with that. if others can't recognize that and assume stuff of you just because of your type, they're not worth the time anyway.

Jaguar

In Roger R. Pearman's and Sarah Albritton's book I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You, they described this distinction rather well, I thought. There was a company in a business meeting analyzing an event they had just completed when they realized that a particular speaker who participated in the event had been paid too much. It didn't break the company, but the speaker had been overpaid by quite a bit. To the president, the solution was clear: ask for the difference back.

However the president was aware that he was the only one with a T preference in the room so he opened up the topic for discussion and was surprised to see that everyone else with an F preference also thought the solution was clear: eat the cost. It was their own personal mistake, it didn't break the bank, and the speaker in question was a loyal supporter of the company as well as the only one who had been overpaid. They perceived that it was rather unfair and unwise to ask for that money back because of the possibility that it could tarnish their reputation with a big supporter and lose his support in future business arrangements.

There's still reasonable analysis going on in this situation, it's just not what we might consider "cold, hard" logic; i hate the stereotype that i'm illogical because i have a feeling preference, but it doesn't mean that i'm not a Feeler, it means that i'm an individual who doesn't fit the stereotype for whatever reason.

So the T president was a shortsighted idiot who didn't understand the concept of future implications for his decision. I would have voted with the Fs.
If the T president continues to make poor decisions like that, I'm sure he'll be filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy in no time.

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
So the T president was a shortsighted idiot who didn't understand the concept of future implications for his decision. I would have voted with the Fs.
If the T president continues to make poor decisions like that, I'm sure he'll be filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy in no time.

Well, can't argue with you on that. I'm sure most Ts would beg to differ and could offer their opinions and explanations, but my point was to give an example of what Feeler "logic" has been like ime. in this case the Fs valued X and understood the value of X in relation to their decision so by virtue that coloured the progression of their logic.

now of course you could argue there's no want to "know" if that would be the outcome, but if you're gambling with business arrangements and money like that do you really want to take that risk all the time?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Because of the stereotype.

We're thought to be fun-loving, bubbly, disorganized, flaky, irrational, emotional, head-in-the-clouds, lighthearted, illogical. Dislikes/unable to confront, cannot take criticism, trouble saying no.

The list goes on.

This is not true for me at all.

I am not a maelstrom of emotions. I am highly logical. I rarely pay attention to my emotions. Emotional people irritate me.

I am not particularily disorganized.

I am not flaky. I am NOT irrational.

I have no problem with confrontation, I don't mind arguing.

I can take criticism. Infact, I don't even care.

I can say no. I can say no and make sure you know I mean it.

I am not a drama queen. I HATE drama. I keep my issues to myself.

But still, I am an ENFP.

Stop being irrational. :laugh:

Criticism, to me, is all about the delivery. If the intentions and motivations behind it are to help me, I love it. When I feel like someone's taking a jab at my work without offering any other solutions, I get irritated quickly. It's easy to say "Thats not a good way to do it." but people tend to not offer a "If you did it this way, you'd be able to .." to accompany it. Im not a huge fan of backseat drivers.

Overly emotional, volcano people can be taxing. Drama-oriented people can be taxing. I don't necessarily avoid those people, because I don't think there are many traits that keep me from potentially being friends with people.. but with that said, They can be a strain. In the end, everyone gets emotional and over the top about something.. I tolerate those times so that people consider me the same way.

Im very organized. I can have my head in the clouds, but when its time for business I get down to it. It's not really functional to be ditzy and attention deficit during class instructions and work.

I am disorganized inside of my own head. I write everything down and keep things exterior to myself very organized and scheduled as possible.. because I tend to have everything cluttered and jumbled in my own head. If I don't get reminders of some sort, or write something down (or have a convenient FB post to keep myself straight) I may forget or be late to appointments or events.. With THAT said. I'm not flaky. I make sure, always, that I am very clear in my language. I always say "I May be able to attend! I Think I can go!" before I ever confirm it 100%. If I say I will be there. I will.

I don't find myself irrational. Im sure some people do. I think the words rational and irrational are very subjective words. What's rational to an efficient person (wearing cargo shorts to work because the pockets are more secure than a purse) is totally irrational to a socially graceful person (How are you going to show up to work looking unprofessional just because you don't feel like wearing a purse?). I think communication is a key factor to rationality.

I see since you made this that you changed your type to ENTP, so this may be too little to late. But this is my analysis. I don't hate being an ENFP for it's stereotypes anymore than I hate being a white person for white stereotypes. I've heard them all.. that we smell like dog when we're wet, that we can't dance, etc. Stereotypes have about as much truth behind them as people think they do.

ENFPs can seem ENTP and vice versa, just ask Aleksei or Orobas. :p

It's not about how you act in the world, it's about your internal world. You cannot mistake being Fi dom or aux when you experience it from the inside.

A lot of feelers (correctly or incorrectly) think of themselves in the colloquial sense as 'rational, even-tempered, logical'. Lots of INFPs are in computer science/programming and INFJs are notoriously rational.

Typology is not about the 'colloquial sense', it's about cognitive functions.

In a crude way, it's not about 'how intellectual/objective/logical' are you - but how XYZ are you in relation with your Fi? Many ENTPs on the forum at least will tell you that they don't really 'get' Fi, other than as a concept.

Fi is how you experience the world in a psychic, gut-reaction way, almost primal way not how you filter it and act in the world.

Also, other ENFPs on the forum will tell you themselves that their level of Ti and/or Te really varies.

It's pretty normal for feelers to get annoyed by other people's emotionality. You see it on the forum as well as real life. Being a feeler doesn't necessarily make you adept at handling or appreciating other people's emo.

Just offering another perspective. :D

Cze, I wish you'd have my babies for posting this. Said in a few words what I'd need a book to convey.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
Sometimes I question my ENFP-ness, I thrive on confrontation/conflict and never avoid it but that's my own internal Fi talking. I ignore my emotions and am pretty logical for an NFP. But it fits, the evaluative way of thinking fits. I even have some pretty okay Se going on.

Also, that thing about colloquial vs cognitive that CzeCze mentioned. She hit the nail on the head, in a big way.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
See now I dislike being an ENFP also but for a slightly different reason; namely I am that stereotype... well a bunch of it anyways and it's damn exhausting! Anyone else in my boat!? :(

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THAT 6,864,500,000 PEOPLE FIT IN 16 CATEGORIES EXACTLY?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
See now I dislike being an ENFP also but for a slightly different reason; namely I am that stereotype... well a bunch of it anyways and it's damn exhausting! Anyone else in my boat!? :(

haha for the most part yes...:smile: :cry:

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
WOW As I scrolled down to that my heart nearly skipped a beat... that is... well... big :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm sorry I don't think you're ENFP and haven't honestly thought you were for quite some time because of observing you in vent. My first guess was actually ESFP but based on more evidence I think ENTP, even ESTP is possible for you.

I like being ENFP but I don't like when people think I'm an idiot or don't take me seriously because of it...it's like, um, yeah I had a 3.9 GPA in college, I made a perfect 5 on the AP Lit exam in high school, and I'm considered "the smart one" in my immediate family. That's the only thing that irritates me...especially I've noticed that some people take delight in upsetting me or making fun of me for being sensitive, or on-line the whole NT behavior of mocking the way that NFPs think.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I also happen to like NFP bitch slaps. They're cute too.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Would someone smother this pesky ENTP with cuddles and hugs till he runs crying to mommy already? :coffee: