• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] I dislike being an ENFP.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I want to train in the hardest jungles.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
Sometimes I wish I could be more practical, competent in the more commonly needed things in this society, or at least average at skills that everyone else seems to have, yes.

But then I remember there's no way I'd wanna stop looking at the world the way I do.

It's a pay-off, I guess.

Doesn't keep me from feeling useless and childish/childlike, as well as utterly incompetent at survival from time to time though.

As far as the stereotype goes...I don't mind it, as I relate very much to the typical idea of an ENFP...it's more that that image is rather incomplete. It pretty much describes mostly what's on the outside...and is very limited on the waters that run deeper inside an ENFP, I find.

THIS. ALL OF IT. [/enfp capitalization]

The waters do run deeper.

That's because being bubbly has nothing to do with ENFPs.

There is a popular typology site or book (I forget which one--maybe it's from Please Understand Me) that says something like "when ENFPs talk, they're like a fountain bubbling over, their mouths trying to keep up with with the rapid thoughts and ideas, etc."

Somewhere along the line, people interpreted this as ENFPs being bubbly, when that's not what it meant at all.

And some typology sites list Ariel from Disney's The Little Mermaid as an ENFP, which, in my opinion, confuses the issue even more.

Then there is the "silly switch" concept, being extremely goofy at times, which I think is true of ENFPs, but all this stuff together gets all twisted into the false idea that ENFPs are generally bubbly, cutesy, and giggly.

Also this. Gives the total wrong impression of what it means to be ENFP giving a lof of ENFP shame complexes.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Speaking as a non-ENFP, I would say I get that impression more from interacting with ENFPs than because I read it out of a book. If anything the book would confirm my own observations.

:rolli:

OK, Peguy.

Whatever you say. :D

We're all bubbly as hell. ;)

Wait a second......

I think I may stand corrected. :doh:

It seems that the definition of "bubbly" (vivacious, high-spirited, lively, etc.) does actually fit.

I guess I was thinking of "bubbly" as that liveliness PLUS some kind of air-headed or superficial quality.

I think a lot of people also use the term that way, so I'm still a little uncomfortable with it.

But TECHNICALLY, I guess it does fit after all. :shrug:

OK, carry on.

Sorry for the derail.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I don't appreciate being called bubbly.