• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Ask an ENFP

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
hahaha, I'm sorry I get confused on how to quote and answer things properly on here. I just wanted to be a mermaid, and everyone else wanted puberty. WHATEVUUUUR.

I used to wear a silver, reflective vest to school, and pretend I was an alien studying public schools. :blush: The ladies lined up very early.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for responding! I wanna ask another one that is sort of targeted at YOU, but can still be answered by an old ENFP:

I notice you have a Mark Twain quote in your signature, do you find you relate a lot to things Ne-dom authors say, or at least the wya they express themselves (Dickens, Wilde, Hunter S. Thompson, Elizabeth Gilbert, Kurt Vonnegut, whoever else you can think of)?

Yes! Absolutely. Same with Fi heavy writers or artists too. I instantly relate to expression of either of those functions in words or art. It's like ahh yes, a little slice of home.

MBTI Type
ENFP
I used to wear a silver, reflective vest to school, and pretend I was an alien studying public schools. :blush: The ladies lined up very early.

awwwe, thats still cute though. there was this big project in the third grade about "what do you want to be when you grow up" where you had to write a four paragraph essay on why you want to be this or that. I wrote it on my own and tried to convince my teacher why being a mermaid is dutiful profession and she needs to stop being so mean. The bitch called my parents and my parents are an ENFJ, and ENFP couple. I remember my ENFP dad telling her with a thick boston accent on the phone "WAAT? MY DAUGTAH CAN BE A MERMAID IF SHE GOD DAMN WANTS TOO."

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
awwwe, thats still cute though. there was this big project in the third grade about "what do you want to be when you grow up" where you had to write a four paragraph essay on why you want to be this or that. I wrote it on my own and tried to convince my teacher why being a mermaid is dutiful profession and she needs to stop being so mean. The bitch called my parents and my parents are an ENFJ, and ENFP couple. I remember my ENFP dad telling her with a thick boston accent on the phone "WAAT? MY DAUGTAH CAN BE A MERMAID IF SHE GOD DAMN WANTS TOO."

I don't know if it's a good career, but my friends hired a mermaid for their kid's pool party. The kids were afraid and wouldn't get in the pool. But see, it's not so far fetched. It's sad so many teachers rain down invalidation on imaginative types.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Most epic dad ever :heart:

I remember being asked to write a story as a nine year old in class. It could be about whatever we wanted it to be, whatever our dreams were like. And sure enough, I wrote about a girl who could turn into a mermaid and had a scepter that turned into a glass pendant when she became a mermaid.

....my teachers reaction when she gave me back my story was priceless - she seriously didn't know what to say.

MBTI Type
ENFP
I don't know if it's a good career, but my friends hired a mermaid for their kid's pool party. The kids were afraid and wouldn't get in the pool. But see, it's not so far fetched. It's sad so many teachers rain down invalidation on imaginative types.

Yeah, I got along well with teachers I showed respect too but also showed that is very hard for me to think logically. It's always been a love/hate battle with them. They like me, but they don't like my nonsense.

MBTI Type
ENFP

I remember being asked to write a story as a nine year old in class. It could be about whatever we wanted it to be, whatever our dreams were like. And sure enough, I wrote about a girl who could turn into a mermaid and had a scepter that turned into a glass pendant when she became a mermaid.

....my teachers reaction when she gave me back my story was priceless - she seriously didn't know what to say.

hahahahaha, thats awesome! it sounds like a sailor moon mermaid story. we read the book bunnicula in the fourth grade, and the last day we read the book we could dress up like vampires. like a cape or some teeth. I WENT ALL OUT. and my teacher loved it! I loved my fourth grade teacher. When I had trouble with math, she would ask if I needed help after school, then fed me cookies. She also lived in the same town as the school, and one day after school she brought her puppy for me to play with. I cried the last day of school because she wasn't my teacher anymore. BALLED my eyes out. That was the first and last time I was a teachers favorite, and I think I cherished it very much so haha

Starry

Do people ever tell you you're mercurial, or joke that you seem bi-polar?

One of my best friends since childhood is ENFP 7w6 so/sx... And one of the things we were asked repeatedly in our teen years was "what are you guys on and can I/we have some?" haha. <-This was not meant as an insult... nor was it put forth as a clever way of saying...'wow, you guys are sure full of happiness and energy." No, ever single time this occurred it was a genuine, straightforward, practical "share your drugs with us" question. And when we would explain that we were not under the influence of any kind of tangible/material substance...I can remember looks of suspicion - I'm not even kidding you. Looks as if to say..."You know if you didn't want to share you could have just said so...you didn't need to make up some elaborate story..."

Was your extraversion very apparent from an early age? I have read that a lot of ENFP's started out dreamy and seemingly introverted, before they figured out a way to bring their Ne to the masses (Robin Williams and Russell Brand for instance, both claim to have been pretty withdrawn kids). Or were you just adorable little chatterboxes since you were little? :)

I've always been both...dreamy and off in my own world/introverted... or if I'm in the right mood for it and I'm around interesting people I will be extroverted/social.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ

:happy2: It must have been kind of nice to have NF parents in one way. I mean, don't get me wrong, good parents are good parents, but I find my ISTP father has a hard time understanding where I'm coming from.

Ha! There's something about ENFP girls and mermaids...maybe we should start a thread!:D Ariel seems pretty ENFP too (The disney version mind you, the fairy tale version seems super INFP).

One of my best friends since childhood is ENFP 7w6 so/sx... And one of the things we were asked repeatedly in our teen years was "what are you guys on and can I/we have some?" haha. <-This was not meant as an insult... nor was it put forth as a clever way of saying...'wow, you guys are sure full of happiness and energy." No, ever single time this occurred it was a genuine, straightforward, practical "share your drugs with us" question. And when we would explain that we were not under the influence of any kind of tangible/material substance...I can remember looks of suspicion - I'm not even kidding you. Looks as if to say..."You know if you didn't want to share you could have just said so...you didn't need to make up some elaborate story...

:rotfl:

I've always been both...dreamy and off in my own world/introverted... or if I'm in the right mood for it and I'm around interesting people I will be extroverted/social.

Cool. Thanks for responding Starry!

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do ENFPs get shy?

When do they go introverted?

Where does aloofness fit in?

i can be shy when first meting someone i'm attracted to/interested in and sometimes in interviews with a certain type of person.

and...hmm i don't think i notice my introversion/extroversion ever fluctuating but i'm always consistently in the middle i think. maybe i misunderstand what you mean?? i mean...sometimes i talk to others a lot and sometimes i don't... which sort of leads into the next question. i can be aloof. i'm either feeling it or i'm not. and it has nothing to do with being shy...to be totally blunt sometimes i just don't care. or am bored...not feeling the juice...it's an sx thing i think.

Do people ever tell you you're mercurial, or joke that you seem bi-polar?

Was your extraversion very apparent from an early age? I have read that a lot of ENFP's started out dreamy and seemingly introverted, before they figured out a way to bring their Ne to the masses (Robin Williams and Russell Brand for instance, both claim to have been pretty withdrawn kids). Or were you just adorable little chatterboxes since you were little? :)

no i don't think anyone has ever said i seem bipolar.

my extraversion was not apparent...and likely still isn't that much. i was a shy kid...kind of. i mean my parents said i was always happy and laughing and knew how to charm a room and would sort of turn on the cute to get my way...ughh :blush:

but...in school i was soft spoken, had my 3 super close best friends and was shy with most everyone else until about 4th or 5th grade. i've never been super extraverted tho. i'm just ne first.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hahaha, I'm sorry I get confused on how to quote and answer things properly on here. I just wanted to be a mermaid, and everyone else wanted puberty. WHATEVUUUUR.

my sister and i were full on serious with our mermaid pretend world in the pool...like for real. i was a mermaid for a whole summer i think.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

haha!! i used to pretend i was an alien studying these human life forms too!!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

yay for enfp dads!! haha

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
i can be shy when first meting someone i'm attracted to/interested in and sometimes in interviews with a certain type of person.

and...hmm i don't think i notice my introversion/extroversion ever fluctuating but i'm always consistently in the middle i think. maybe i misunderstand what you mean?? i mean...sometimes i talk to others a lot and sometimes i don't... which sort of leads into the next question. i can be aloof. i'm either feeling it or i'm not. and it has nothing to do with being shy...to be totally blunt sometimes i just don't care. or am bored...not feeling the juice...it's an sx thing i think.

my extraversion was not apparent...and likely still isn't that much. i was a shy kid...kind of. i mean my parents said i was always happy and laughing and knew how to charm a room and would sort of turn on the cute to get my way...ughh :blush:

You're a pretty bashful ENFP :D

but...in school i was soft spoken, had my 3 super close best friends and was shy with most everyone else until about 4th or 5th grade. i've never been super extraverted tho. i'm just ne first.

I wonder how common that is? Ne-dom, but not very extraverted...maybe that will be my next question. :unsure:

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You're a pretty bashful ENFP :D

I wonder how common that is? Ne-dom, but not very extraverted...maybe that will be my next question. :unsure:

Actually that's very common. Ne doms are extroverted, but about IDEAS, not people. They can be shy around people, until they find themselves with someone else who talks about ideas, at which point they cannot shut up.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually that's very common. Ne doms are extroverted, but about IDEAS, not people. They can be shy around people, until they find themselves with someone else who talks about ideas, at which point they cannot shut up.

*round of applause*

that was well said.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ

This totally makes sense. WHY ARE YOU SO SMART?