• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF and procrastination

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
NF, i know you procrastinate.

my question is:

when you have something you know you need to do and don't really feel like doing it,
how does pressure put on you from others affect you?

both with deadline and without, if they happen to be different.​

P

Phantonym

Defiance to the greatest degree. :dry: Give me space and things get done. I'm happy, you're happy. Pressure me and you'll get to see the most stubborn, immature me you've ever seen, just because I can and will feel like it. And I won't be hiding it either. I will probably still do the stuff, though. Can't let myself down, can't let others down. :blush:

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pressure from outside, if it's not massive and unpleasantly applied, is probably good for me, certainly in terms of my work life. I've always thought that having someone standing over me and cracking a whip JUST OCCASIONALLY is the best thing for me.

I procrastinate shamelessly when it's really only myself involved. For example, I am moving tomorrow and still have loads of packing to do...more than I should...though, to be fair, it's not just myself involved because several friends are coming round to help me!!

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
meh, I´ll answer later.

Poggle

MBTI Type
ENFP
As a general rule if someone pressurises me into doing something eariler than I had intended, I will deliberately do the job even later.

The flip side to that coin is that if I am asked particularly nicely without pressure to do it, then I will do it sooner, but that would be as a personal favour to the requested, which would not impact on my usual order of priority setting.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Encouragement in a non-overbearing/nagging way is probably well accepted.

Overt pressure results in defiance and my utter stubbornness to continue procrastinating. :p

So I guess subtlety and excellent word craft win out over brute force.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4

my question is:

when you have something you know you need to do and don't really feel like doing it,

I don't like it when people treat me like a teenager / dumbass. I used to become provoked and annoyed whenever people did that, but, I've learned to say "I don't like it when you..." because I can't expect people to know what is going on inside my head (what my values are and when they are being crossed). Mutual understanding is how I roll.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
EDIT: Sorry, I misread as NT. Procrastination is something near and dear to our hearts as well.

If I notice a true need for something, I won't procrastinate. If someone pressures me to get something done sooner for a reason I don't see necessary, I put it off till the true last minute.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Defiance to the greatest degree. :dry:

Encouragement in a non-overbearing/nagging way is probably well accepted.

Overt pressure results in defiance and my utter stubbornness to continue procrastinating. :p

So I guess subtlety and excellent word craft win out over brute force.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread as NT. Procrastination is something near and dear to our hearts as well.

If I notice a true need for something, I won't procrastinate. If someone pressures me to get something done sooner for a reason I don't see necessary, I put it off till the true last minute.

:rofl1:

i am exactly the same way as all of this.

i was curious to see how others responded to the same situation, because my mom (ESFJ) doesn't think it makes any sense that constantly reminding me of stuff (note that i have successfully functioned independently for several years) just makes me not want to do it at all (if there's no deadline) or put it off til the last possible minute (if deadline).

i know she means well, but... :steam:

it may be completely type-independent though.

ps @ red herring, lmao :redherring:

Chloe

my question is:

Any pressure effects me negatively. So... they think they'll help, but it makes me even more scared and i procrastinate even more.

I heard there are 2 types of motivation: (didnt read about that yet):
motivation to prevent negative consequences (which is "if you dont start learnign today you'll fail)
and
motivation for a goal (if you start studying you might one day finish school )

i am definately second, I just freeze even more in case of the first. :blush:

my ISTJ friend got warning from mom that she'll kick her out of her house within 3 months if she doesnt pass tests in college.. It worked for her. To me, I'd be too creeped to study.

Though I work good under pressure, but more physical pressure, like if there is real crisis, but if its mental/psychological pressure I cant function like that.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmm... I don't really procrastinate. I'm really stuck on the idea of getting it done and then chilling out. Because only then can I really relax. Maybe this is a relatively type independent behavior, but what drives it and how we deal with it is quite type-dependent? Did I just say something super obvious again? :)

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Any pressure effects me negatively. So... they think they'll help, but it makes me even more scared and i procrastinate even more.

motivation to prevent negative consequences (which is "if you dont start learnign today you'll fail)
and

my ISTJ friend got warning from mom that she'll kick her out of her house within 3 months if she doesnt pass tests in college.. It worked for her. To me, I'd be too creeped to study.

Though I work good under pressure, but more physical pressure, like if there is real crisis, but if its mental/psychological pressure I cant function like that.

I identify with this. I definitely need positive motivation. Negative motivation will just overwhelm me and I will be miserable + become unproductive.

I also do much better in a major crisis, than I do with mental pressure.

I've been working at not procrastinating, and have found that if I pressure myself I will put it off the same as I do for outside pressure. Once I tell myself I have to do it, it takes away my desire (I think) and then I start putting it off. Seems weird, but it's what I do.

If I don't want to do something, and I'm feeling pressured, it always goes much better to take the "just one" approach. I will mentally decide to just pay one bill, or clean one section, or edit one photo, etc. and this seems to relieve the pressure. Many times, I will continue to do more than one thing once I get started, but sometimes I will just bounce around from task to task until I am in a groove. So far it's the ONLY method that semi-works for me.

Chloe

If I don't want to do something, and I'm feeling pressured, it always goes much better to take the "just one" approach. I will mentally decide to just pay one bill, or clean one section, or edit one photo, etc. and this seems to relieve the pressure. Many times, I will continue to do more than one thing once I get started, but sometimes I will just bounce around from task to task until I am in a groove. So far it's the ONLY method that semi-works for me.

this works for me too, but i rarely stick to "one thing only", and I try to do more and more, expand, and I end up doing nothing. One-by-one would work but I cant stick to it.
I guess that's Si's thingie?!

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
this works for me too, but i rarely stick to "one thing only", and I try to do more and more, expand, and I end up doing nothing. One-by-one would work but I cant stick to it.
I guess that's Si's thingie?!

I'm not sure. I don't quite understand Si, probably because I have none.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
:rofl1:

i am exactly the same way as all of this.

i was curious to see how others responded to the same situation, because my mom (ESFJ) doesn't think it makes any sense that constantly reminding me of stuff (note that i have successfully functioned independently for several years) just makes me not want to do it at all (if there's no deadline) or put it off til the last possible minute (if deadline).

i know she means well, but... :steam:

it may be completely type-independent though.

ps @ red herring, lmao :redherring:

I suspect my son is an ESFJ, he's 6 and already he's treating me the way your mom treats you. He just doesn't understand how I can't make a list and feel compelled to complete said list before the day has ended. I can't understand how he can make a list and feel compelled to follow it. (and yes at 6, this is what he does every single day).

So I guess I'm saying it does sound like it's a type dynamic at work.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmm... I don't really procrastinate. I'm really stuck on the idea of getting it done and then chilling out. Because only then can I really relax. Maybe this is a relatively type independent behavior, but what drives it and how we deal with it is quite type-dependent? Did I just say something super obvious again? :)

oh, absolutely. i'd say the majority of people i know procrastinate, regardless of type. we just tend to exhibit different ways of doing it. some people escape into books, some into games, some into physical stuff, some by just pretending the task doesn't exist, some by obsessing over it but not doing it, some by doing other less important tasks... hence the "i know you procrastinate" joke. it's like an 8/10 chance. but i was curious about NFs, because i was wondering if the subsequent behavior is type-related. though perhaps that's all across the board too.

and

I identify with this. I definitely need positive motivation. Negative motivation will just overwhelm me and I will be miserable + become unproductive.

hey i dunno how much psychology you guys have taken/read, but to me that sounds really closely correlated to positive and negative reinforcement... positive reinforcement being a result that makes you want to keep doing (or increase frequency of) a behavior; negative reinforcement being a result that makes you want to keep doing it (or increase frequency of it) to prevent something.

interesting :yes:

i think the positive goal makes total sense because it creates a virtuous cycle of positive thought. maybe i'll finish school -> get something done -> feel more likely to finish school -> work seems more and more rewarding -> more likely to get stuff done -> etc.

whereas with negative motivation it's like don't want to do this but if i don't i will fail -> putting self-worth on the line -> nervousness -> don't want to mess up -> work seems harder -> less likely to do it -> feel even worse about not doing it -> even more work to do -> more pressure -> more nervousness -> etc.

yikes! even writing it out stresses me lol.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I suspect my son is an ESFJ, he's 6 and already he's treating me the way your mom treats you. He just doesn't understand how I can't make a list and feel compelled to complete said list before the day has ended. I can't understand how he can make a list and feel compelled to follow it. (and yes at 6, this is what he does every single day).

So I guess I'm saying it does sound like it's a type dynamic at work.

:laugh:!

that's so funny!

my mom is a very, very active, busy, happy person. she is infinitely more productive than me. i marvel at it.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
To follow along the line of thought that AH began of helpful ways to deal with procrastination, have any of you heard of "micromovements"? An author called SARK (Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy) really likes it -- basically you break down the task into the minutetest of pieces. If I need to write a paper, today I'll put my name on the paper. Then I'll commit to reading the prompt. Then I'll write the section headings. Then I'll think about what to write...

Here's a link:
Insight Answers: What is a micromovement?

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
To follow along the line of thought that AH began of helpful ways to deal with procrastination, have any of you heard of "micromovements"? An author called SARK (Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy) really likes it -- basically you break down the task into the minutetest of pieces. If I need to write a paper, today I'll put my name on the paper. Then I'll commit to reading the prompt. Then I'll write the section headings. Then I'll think about what to write...

Here's a link:
Insight Answers: What is a micromovement?

I have never heard of it before, but it's essentially what I was describing as my own method of dealing with procrastination. Except, I don't commit to anything. I just do it. Once I commit it's generally over...