• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] NF Pack-rats

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
i have trouble getting rid of stuffed animals.
i feel like i'm putting the family pet to sleep. =(

Ding, ding, ding!

I thought this was just me! It seems cruel to throw away something meant for hugging and loving and that provided such good service as pillows or cheerful mascots in your room.

Alright, I'm a grown woman and I have way too stuffed animals. There. I said it.

Though the last time I was on the east coast, I made a resolution and donated most of my dolls (in that house at least) to charity.

I am a HUGE pack rat.

1) I consume way too much i.e I am greedy, impulsive, have trouble gauging necessity and prudence, and love collecting pretty objects. I'm also cheap so I get a lot of smaller items on sale as opposed to big ticket items. Call me Golum.

2) Once I get it, I hold onto it for dear life. Not necessarily giving my items feelings, but I just don't like throwing things away. On the flip, I can be quite wasteful. Hoarding is wasteful in a way because you don't ever use what you have.

3) In all, I am a maximalist.

4) An example, last time I 'moved', I had crap coming out of the walls. Endless piles of STUFF, endless boxes, people observing were like wtf is all this?

Edit:
I should use some of these descriptions in the past test. These are my inclinations and bad habits but I am reforming! I swear!

Last edited:

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I tend to hold on to old assignments and worksheets, but I never keep old temporary writing utensils (meaning ones that aren't refillable or that fall apart quickly) after they run out of ink/lead.

That's an odd tendency of mine. I never want to throw out anything that works or can be easily fixed, but when something is broken beyond repair, I throw it away.

Even so, I've accumulated so many things that I'll be really freaked out if I ever have to move because I'll worry that something will get lost or ruined in the process (My mother and I have lived in this same apartment since at least 1999, possibly earlier).

I generally don't throw things out even if they are broken, at least not if it's made up of parts that I can pull out of it and use in other things.

1999? I have to say I'm jealous. I moved into where I am now in Sept 2005. This has been by far the longest I've ever lived in one place. Growing up we seemed to move every year, two at the very most.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
um so now that we're on the subject of feelings and non living things, does anyone else talk to their computer and car when it's not working? :blush:
I'll have to totally second Nightning's answer to that one, down to every single detail:
All the time. I say hello to my car whenever I drive it out... say sorry and pat the steering wheel whenever I do something dumb while driving. When the computer doesn't feel like working... I ask it nicely and top it off with a please.
Which leads me to:
Why don't the two of us visit together? :D
I guess we really should, since we are so obviously suffering from the EXACT same symptoms :D Or even better: only one of us goes so as to save money and not overwhelm the poor shrinks, and we share the therapy. Deal :laugh: ?

I don't count talking to birds as crazy. They are talking to us in their language all the time. :D Why not answer back?
You do realise you've just outed yourself as officially crazy, don't you :rolli:? I mean, what makes you think they are talking to YOU :devil: ? As far as we know, they are only talking to each other, gossipping about us and how crazy we are :D

I generally don't throw things out even if they are broken, at least not if it's made up of parts that I can pull out of it and use in other things.
I totally do that too!!

Oh, and by the way: when my son is done with his "doudous" (his set of 3 identical hippo-blankies), I totally intent to restore them, re-stuff them, and set them nicely in some choice spot in his room :rolleyes: Not only am I hopeless, but I'm gonna spread the madness to the next generation :smile:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I tend to hold on to old assignments and worksheets, but I never keep old temporary writing utensils (meaning ones that aren't refillable or that fall apart quickly) after they run out of ink/lead.

That's an odd tendency of mine. I never want to throw out anything that works or can be easily fixed, but when something is broken beyond repair, I throw it away.

Even so, I've accumulated so many things that I'll be really freaked out if I ever have to move because I'll worry that something will get lost or ruined in the process (My mother and I have lived in this same apartment since at least 1999, possibly earlier).
Old assignments... ha I do the same. I still have stuff from when I was a freshman in undergrad like 6 years ago... :blush: Besides for sentimental values, pack ratish behavior can also stem from seeing stuff as being potentially useful and so you don't ever throw them out.

I guess we really should, since we are so obviously suffering from the EXACT same symptoms :D Or even better: only one of us goes so as to save money and not overwhelm the poor shrinks, and we share the therapy. Deal :laugh: ?
*shakes hands* You've got it! :happy2:

You do realise you've just outed yourself as officially crazy, don't you :rolli:? I mean, what makes you think they are talking to YOU :devil: ? As far as we know, they are only talking to each other, gossipping about us and how crazy we are :D
Well I wouldn't say that... sometimes the birds do talk to you... or at least there doesn't seem to be any other birds around. :unsure:

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I still have stuff from when I was a freshman in undergrad like 6 years ago.

6 Years? Thats it? light weight :p

Lets see.. *grabs a pile*

Seems on July 12 1989 I got in a fight at lunch and lost 5 minutes of activity time..

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I still have my preschool progress reports, and the journal I kept from third grade, along with other written records, because I love keeping an archive of my past and holding on to stuff that my past self created, or wrote.

Most of the times, looking back at the stuff makes me laugh at myself, and the person-in-training I was, but sometimes I look at my old work, and I'm like, "Damn girl, you're a freakin' genius!!!"

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I still have my preschool progress reports, and the journal I kept from third grade, along with other written records, because I love keeping an archive of my past and holding on to stuff that my past self created, or wrote.

Most of the times, looking back at the stuff makes me laugh at myself, and the person-in-training I was, but sometimes I look at my old work, and I'm like, "Damn girl, you're a freakin' genius!!!"

What I see is early patterns in myself that have continued. For instance, I once saw in a second or third grade notebook, a written note to myself that said "Why do I have to learn place value?"

It seems to reflect the fact that I've done well in English/Literature subjects, but struggled a bit with Math. Interestingly, I do well if I get along with the teacher, otherwise I don't. It's just that I can't get along with most math teacher's styles for some reason, while I can get by with those of other teachers. It's weird.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm one too. It usually turns out being a good thing because I end up finding a use for everything.