• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Money & Materialism.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Is it primarily a type thing where some people just don't value money and or most possessions as much as others? Or is it just me?

When it comes to materialism theres only two things I own that I wouldn't part with. My car, and my computer. Both I value as key tools that enable me to do what I want when I want. As for the rest, *shrugs* if someone I knew mentioned in passing that they needed something, and I had it chances are I'd give them mine. I just don''t really seem to care, if I ever need it again I'll replace it.

The same goes for money, the only time I'm concerned with money is when what I make doesn't cover what I need, otherwise I could care less as to whether I'm rich or poor. I'll lend money to people who need it not really caring if they give it back or not.

Jive A Turkey

MBTI Type
INFP
I read the other day that Se functions if uncontrolled can lead to very materialistic tendencies. Would that make sense?

ygolo

My termites win
Is it primarily a type thing where some people just don't value money and or most possessions as much as others? Or is it just me?

When it comes to materialism theres only two things I own that I wouldn't part with. My car, and my computer. Both I value as key tools that enable me to do what I want when I want. As for the rest, *shrugs* if someone I knew mentioned in passing that they needed something, and I had it chances are I'd give them mine. I just don''t really seem to care, if I ever need it again I'll replace it.

The same goes for money, the only time I'm concerned with money is when what I make doesn't cover what I need, otherwise I could care less as to whether I'm rich or poor. I'll lend money to people who need it not really caring if they give it back or not.

This may seem really naive for me to say this, but most people are like this to some extent.

I lend/give small amounts of money to people I know, without caring if the pay me back. I used to do the same with strangers, and give freely to charity when asked. However, I don't want to support pan-handling, and I found out that many of the so-called charities are frauds. So now I give food to pan-handlers (it would take more work to trade it for booze), and choose particular charities that I trust.

Large amounts of money is another matter.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
things come, things go.

I can let go of pretty much anything. And for a couple of years, even lived life pretty much as a minimalist, but I must confess that I'm a pack rat who values, and consequently holds on to, a variety of odd things which have no monetary value, yet for reasons still unknown to me, must be kept.

This is why I love camping or traveling, living life with only the material weight of a backpack is quite liberating.

After all, "the things you own, end up owning you"

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I would say that my mother (ESFJ) and my father (ISTP) are pretty materialistic people. My mom can't pass up a good Sale (75% and higher) and my dad just wants random expensive things at random times (like a new truck and boat). I personally am not. Of course, I like any other person like nice things, but I can live without them. I see money as a means of security and not as a means to buy things, if that makes sense. I deposit all my paychecks and rarely spend my money just in case an emergency happens. Sometimes my mom has to force me to buy things that I don't really need (like an iPod). I don't mind spending my money on friends though.

One time I spent an entire paycheck for x-rays and surgery for a kitten I found on the side of the road whose leg was run over. They ended up having to amputate it and I found a student where my mom works that wanted to keep it. I believe I spent about $200+ on all of it, but I just couldn't stand by and watch it suffer.

Many of my NF friends and I agree that "money is nothing". It's pretty frustrating for me because my mom measures my future success by the amount of money I will make with the career I choose. Success to her is a big house and a nice car. Success to me is spending my life with someone special and helping others (hence me wanting to be a professor at a University while my mom thinks I should be a Lawyer/Doctor or something like that).

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx

I'm the same. Though I wish I could be as noble and saving-like as Wedekit, I do spend some on myself for things like video games. But even the cosplay and the conventions is more geared to going and making people smile. Most of my spending money goes to buying food when I'm out with friends.

Most people think I'm too naive and trusting with lending stuff or giving it away... I just figure that they need it more than I do, and, like you said, if I want it again I can always replace it.

I can't WAIT to finish up at community college and go out to Colorado and live very simply. :)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Hmm... I'm a little odd. I tend to hold on to everything that isn't broken unless I'm offered money in exchange. It's like I don't want to lose something I might need. If someone asks me for money and I have it on me, I can't help but give it to them. So I get around this by carrying as little money on my person as I can, so that I can honestly say, "I don't have anything on me, sorry." I feel guilty if I'm carrying money but don't give it to them, but not if I didn't have it with me.

I'm constantly alert when people are in my home. It's like on some level I'm afraid they'll mess something up, or steal something when they think I'm not looking. I guess I put a lot of value into the things I own. I know I shouldn't, but I tend to. :(

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I didn't mind having very little and living on the edge when I was young. Now that I'm getting older, I find I want more security and have learned that I do appreciate certain material luxuries. I am also thinking a lot about retirement now and adamantly do not want to be an impoverished elderly person. I find, however, that even in this more materialistic state, I'm leaps and bounds behind my peers in caring about stuff.

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's a tricky one. I can see how being rich could be beneficial, as it allow me to experience and participate in things that I never was able to before. But I'd also see it as a burden, as I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a clue what to do with all of it, or how to manage it.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I also see money as a means to security, not to collect things I don't need. I do own a few nice things, but most people in my age/income bracket own a LOT more. I own enough clothing to get me by. I am kind of hooked on HDTV. ;) But I doubt I'll ever buy a new car.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I am kind of hooked on HDTV. ;) But I doubt I'll ever buy a new car.

I don't think my TV's been turned on in 6months. It's getting kinda dusty. Thats not to say I don't watch TV shows, Theres probably 10 or so shows that I watch, however I can never usually remember when they're actually on nor am I always able to watch it when I do, so I've taken to downloading TV shows and watching them on my PC.

I'd never buy a brand new car, for the longest time most of my cars I bought for $500 or less. My first ever vehicle I bought for $75, ended up selling it for $3000. In April however I paid $20k for a car, and now I'm kinda regretting it.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I also see money as a means to security, not to collect things I don't need. I do own a few nice things, but most people in my age/income bracket own a LOT more.

It's the same for me. Money is security and freedom... besides computer and a few nice things (food most notably), I don't really care for materialism.

But I doubt I'll ever buy a new car.

It depends - I just bought a new car, but I put off even owning a car for quite a while to do that. To me it all depends on the money you have saved. I can afford the new car now without it impacting on me significantly, so I can enjoy it. I'm not anti-materialism, I just value money itself more than the items it can buy.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I am very far from a consumer... but I value money to the extreme. I want to make it, and I want to hoard it. When you rely upon yourself, you will be less stressed. The last thing I want is to be in debt. I feel so bad for men that kill themselves because they can't afford to keep their family living the lifestyle they had grown so accustomed to because their spending has caught up with them.. I have known families that were torn apart by this.

I can understand that. I've always disliked debt. I usually insist on repaying people even if they don't ask for the money back. (Unless it was less than 5-10 cents or so, then I'd probably forget.)

I'll buy things occasionally, but I prefer to save money to feel more secure. I don't want to be hanging by a thread in any sense I can avoid it in. You know what I mean?

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
To me money and stuff is an elastic band of a sort. I thought a lot more about what I spent when I couldn't afford bus fare, and I hoarded stuff excessively since I wasn't sure I could afford to replace anything. Now - I still have a lot of things. What is ridiculous is that I'll get rid of something and need it anyway later on. I like to comfort shop, but I don't do it often. I love sales because there are very fixed amounts of money I'm willing to spend on myself. If I have enough money to be comfortable I'm a lot more willing to share my good fortune with others - the money itself doesn't matter to me. But if I'm stressed that my finances are strained I'm really careful, while wanting and 'needing' a lot more stuff. That sucks.