• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Driving habits

Fenekk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Okay, I was wondering whether MBTI correlates with driving habits.

I am a cautious driver with the occasional impulsive streak. More often than not I follow all the rules extremely carefully, and drive defensively, though sometimes if I am late or in a bad mood I will speed, but that is the only thing I do wrong on purpose. I make every reasonable effort to stop if a light is turning red, for example, but I have never actually gone through a red light (even one that just turned red) before except on accident (thank god it was 5:30 in the morning and no one else was there...) and I don't make rolling stops, which occasionally makes me think that the people behind me must be impatient with me, because it seems like everyone else does.

Also, I am very good at navigation. I almost always know what direction I am going when I am driving but this is a skill that kicks in only when I am driving, not at other times. It takes a little effort; I don't intuitively know it like some things. However I don't get lost, even when I am turning around a lot. I have memorized generally where most things are in the metro area, what streets are where and I can plan alternate routes without a map as long as they include major roads. I can also remember the names of roads and my mind does not automatically look for landmarks. I look for the roads themselves and pay attention to the whole surrounding environment to commit to memory so I know where I am turning, as opposed to the concept of "taking the 2nd right" that I see so often in written directions.

My INFP friend on the other hand is totally different. She also has more reckless driving habits. When she's riding with me she always tells me "You could have gone through that light" and yes, maybe I could have, but oftentimes I don't want to risk it - especially when there are cameras and you could end up getting a ticket. She doesn't seem to speed often but only occasionally, and I have to remind her to check her blind spot. She actually hates to drive, whereas I really enjoy driving. She also does rolling stops, which I notice a lot from other drivers anyway.

Okay, this may sound really awful, but she honestly cannot navigate her way out of a paper bag. She has to use her GPS to get anywhere (honestly I hate the things; they don't make any sense to me. What makes sense to me is paying attention to the signs and direction...) and when I was driving with her once, her GPS was old and outdated so we ended up having to turn around in a mall parking lot. She actually had to make me give her turn-by-turn directions on how to get back out, when she could see the exit from where she was... When it comes to driving it seems that she wants other people to tell her how to do it every time, but you don't learn anything if you are just waiting for someone to tell you what to do. That's okay when you are just learning to drive, because you need to be focusing on learning that instead of learning how to navigate, but she's been driving as long as I have (only more sporadically, because she keeps studying abroad where she doesn't have to).

Our extreme differences in driving habits made me wonder if this is an MBTI related thing. What do you guys think?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My operating principles in driving are, in general order of importance:

1. Don't get hurt or hurt others.
2. Don't damage anything.
3. Don't waste time/money getting tickets.
4. Get there as expeditiously as possible.
5. Conserve resources as much as possible.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Our extreme differences in driving habits made me wonder if this is an MBTI related thing. What do you guys think?

Hmmm... don't know that it's an mbti thing. My INFJ friend, for example, is just as you describe your INFP friend -- she gets lost all of the time, even if she writes directions down, which baffles me -- although now that she has a gps that problem has been for the most part removed. I tend to be like you, however - I have a pretty good sense of direction and if I take a wrong turn or something (which tends to be when I think I know how to get somewhere and I don't have directions written down), I pretty effortlessly find my way back to where I want to be, just due to a general sense/intuition/guess of street layouts and all of that. And if I've written the directions down? What exactly is the issue?? hahaha. I don't understand my friend still getting lost even with directions. :laugh:

My ISTJ mother is a horrendous driver, is very anxious, and unobservant, liable to not notice a car coming or to nearly miss stoplights. Things like that. My ISFJ father is opposite - very good; also very by the book, though, little to no speeding. Mbti-wise, they share the same dominant function as well -- but totally opposite when it comes to driving. (and I am quite certain too that there are plenty of impeccable ISTJ drivers as well as crappy ISFJ drivers, however you want to define it! :))

I tend to be both defensive (like to think I'm pretty aware of cars around me, and the possibility that other drivers have no idea I'm there and might merge into me) as well as offensive. I'm constantly scanning the rearview mirror for cops and such...same as when I go through lights... so as to try to avoid/prevent speeding tickets or stuff like that.

I like driving.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
i cant stand slow drivers and people that dont know when to turn so they slam the break when they think they are there... and this is all of -you-

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm also a very cautious driver, but I have mild OCD, and it really kicks in hardcore when i'm driving, so i'm paranoid about running somone over the whole time, or killing everyone in the car with me, so i drive as carefully and as close to the speed limit as I can. I leave super early for appointments, so i don't have to worry about "late driving".

Late driving gives me panic attacks.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I must be a safe driver because I don't get into accidents. A few things I guess I do which I'm not sure has anything to do with being INTJ:
- Most important - Stay away from other cars. Seriously. For example: Safe following distance. Don't drive side by side next to other cars. Don't ever let someone tailgate you. Get out of packs.
- Drive a car that has great visibility all around.
- Don't let anyone drive in your blind spot.
- Avoid rush hour like the plague.
- In bad weather, treat the gas pedal like you're walking on eggs and don't make any sudden movements.
- I like a car that performs, handles well, am not a slow driver and rarely do the speed limit.
- I don't change lanes in traffic unless it's important.
- I live by the saying "he who hesitates is lost"; not overly aggressive but don't pussy foot around in decision making situations

I've had some crazy things happen. A couple winters ago, I got stuck trying to stop on a slick of ice at an intersection - for about 40 feet - solid ice. That was scary. Had a car 360 right in front of me on the expressway after it clipped someone. Had a gravel truck jack-knife right in front of me, with the trailer popping off, sliding down the pavement for 100 yards and rocks going everywhere that were in the truck. Saw a motorcycle go off the expressway and the guy come off doing a complete somersault. He got up afterwards. Saw an SUV roll over several times - not sure how it happened - again right in front of me. Need to stay away from all these crazy bastards. Look at this. If you can make it through it.

Welcome to Facebook

EDIT: Oh, and I'm terrible with directions. The GPS is the best invention in a long while :)

KDude

^I hate not having distance or having cars in my blind spot. Makes me nervous. I follow most of those rules you listed, besides avoiding rush hour.. I seem to just deal with it or find my ways around it sometimes (Se alert... ahem... jk.. maybe. I generally can drive like an SP, I guess.. if there's an actual SP way to drive. I don't get too lost, can have fun going crazy on dirtroads or something/know how to control or spin cars pretty well/read the road quickly.. I don't always do this stuff though. Sometimes, especially close to home in slower/familiar areas, I space out a bit and juggle driving and a lot of other thoughts).

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
Shit, I love driving. It's one of the few things I'm not nervous about. The open road. Having the top down. No turns to make. Just me and the road. Watching people pass by. Watching time pass by. Fuck. It's awesome.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i love driving too. i love the sensory aspects of it. love my feet on the pedals, catching the clutch at the friction point, hitting the apex of the corner and the way my body presses back into the seat as i accelerate out of it. wind in my hair, music on the radio, the feeling of a new challenge to flow through every moment.

i think i'm a technically skilled driver, but i don't know how many people would call me a "good" driver. i'm kind of fast for a lot of people's preferences :D i'm excellent spatially though, and i'll show up any asshole guy who says women can't drive. my ass.

directionally, i rock with a map and always have a sense of where i am big-picture (have a compass in my car), but i'm kinda shitty on the streets sometimes. i always get where i want to go, but sometimes it's more roundabout than it could have been. though sometimes i just choose to go the prettier/more fun/more appealing that day way.

conclusion? i think some bits and pieces have to do with MBTI, but not everything. my dad's a car enthusiast and my mom's a great driver too, and they both really like driving, so i'm not surprised that i like it too. my INTP brother (he's just learning, has a permit) doesn't seem to enjoy it as much, oddly enough, even though he always talked a big game and knows a lot about cars.

haha talking about all this makes me want to go out for a drive :)

ItsAGuy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This INFJ tends to speed a little bit, but I also leave tons of room and will speed up or slow down to make the driving experience better for those around me (especially at merges when people to hop over onto the interstate.) My navigation skills are modest, though I do get frustrated at many state's lack of signage (I'm looking at you New Hampshire and Wyoming!)

I DO enjoy driving, and I bought me a convertible:

38643_419344057919_664117919_4513074_4761274_n.jpg

It's the 2nd most fuel efficient convertible available on the american market currently, if that helps you understand my priorities. And no, I don't count the Tesla since it's not really burning 'fuel.' =D

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I like driving, but not when other people are in the car. I don't know why. I guess it makes me nervous because their life is in my hands.

I tend to be a pretty cautious and "friendly" driver. But, if someone tailgates or passes me, even if I was going the speed limit, I take it all personally... :blush: I hate driving with my friends in the car because they always want the music up really loud. I love lsitening to music while I drive, but I don't want it too loud or else I can't concentrate...

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
i drive around a lot just for shit's sake. you know? on a lonely afternoon or evening...hop in the car and just goooooo with some good beats playing...great way to escape.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
i drive around a lot just for shit's sake. you know? on a lonely afternoon or evening...hop in the car and just goooooo with some good beats playing...great way to escape.

it's good

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I love lsitening to music while I drive, but I don't want it too loud or else I can't concentrate...

me too...

does anyone else turn down the music when they're looking for something, like a certain building or a spot in a parking garage? one of my friends makes a lot of fun of me for it... but it feels like it helps...

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
me too...

does anyone else turn down the music when they're looking for something, like a certain building or a spot in a parking garage? one of my friends makes a lot of fun of me for it... but it feels like it helps...
My wife does this and I think it is funny.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I am generally a safe driver and I am good with directions.

One thing I have been meaning to ask here... do you guys always take the same route to work or school? I was reading about SJs in "Please Understand Me II" and one thing Keirsey said is that guardians always take the same route to work every day. I had never even considered this before.

Sure enough, I asked around at work where my coworkers are almost all SJs and they all acted like it was so ridiculous that I even had to ask that question. Of course they always take the same route to work every day, they have it timed and know exactly how long it will take to go that route and that is how they know when to leave the house to get to work on time.

When I mentioned that I don't even know which route I am going to take until I actually drive it, they seemed amazed and disgusted. :laugh:

Fenekk

MBTI Type
INFJ
I am generally a safe driver and I am good with directions.

One thing I have been meaning to ask here... do you guys always take the same route to work or school? I was reading about SJs in "Please Understand Me II" and one thing Keirsey said is that guardians always take the same route to work every day. I had never even considered this before.

Sure enough, I asked around at work where my coworkers are almost all SJs and they all acted like it was so ridiculous that I even had to ask that question. Of course they always take the same route to work every day, they have it timed and know exactly how long it will take to go that route and that is how they know when to leave the house to get to work on time.

When I mentioned that I don't even know which route I am going to take until I actually drive it, they seemed amazed and disgusted. :laugh:

I generally go the same way, except if there is some traffic I don't particularly like/want to deal with and I know a way around, or I decide to stop somewhere on the way there or back.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
One thing I have been meaning to ask here... do you guys always take the same route to work or school?

lol, nope!

if i'm pressed for time i'll take the way i know is fastest. and given my proclivity to leave later than i should, i usually have it worked out to the minute how much time that fastest route will take. and which lane i should change into at what place, etc...

otherwise... i take whatever suits me at the moment. maybe i feel like going through the park, or maybe by the fountain, or maybe on the expressway, or maybe on the backroads...

Cbelle

MBTI Type
ENFP
Wow, I am surprised with all these safe & careful drivers! I've always figured NF drivers were like me... which is, well, on the wild side.

However, I'm not inconsiderate at all. I actually get angry at other drivers that don't let people in, etc. But when you've given me a long stretch and no cars in view... the whole road is mine. I love doing U'ies in the city with my gorgeous little Saab.

I don't speed in the city because Washington State has cracked down on speeders, and I really don't want my insurance to go up.

Who else drives emotionally?? If I'm angry I turn into a little speedster where I can. I take sharp turns, etc. When I'm excited and rock'n to the music, I swerve around a lot whenever it's safe.

I can safely say that driving is one of my favorite activities.

Cbelle

MBTI Type
ENFP
However, I am awful with directions.

I get lost and love it.