• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Ask an INFJ

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was surprised to find out that the old thread had not been taken seriously. So... I shall be creating a new one, that will be taken seriously.

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh..Thats depressing... Well...Then this will be a serious one.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Is this really a question?

I'll let you decide that semantic

But I notice INFJ/Ps in general, talking about how they don't feel quite human.

But you have it backwards.. You are the humans. the rest are just hairless apes who taught themselves how to dress and talk.

Do you know what I mean?

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is this really a question?

I'll let you decide that semantic

But you have it backwards.. You are the humans. the rest are just hairless apes who taught themselves how to dress and talk.

Do you know what I mean?

Hmm.... Part of it. Personally I feel more in touch with my spirituality than I do with the "real world". The same way that people with autism can relate more to objects than they can to emotions. I definatly feel human thats for sure, just not grounded. Did that answer your question? :confused:

Affably Evil

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4

This is pretty funny, because I was just telling a friend the other day that I feel like a robot with Feeling modded on. Albeit a robot from the future, who cares about the destiny of the human race and wants to help everyone reach nirvana. :cry:

Affably Evil

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
^ Affably evil, can you elaborate about the robot?

On the one hand, I relate very strongly to narratives about artificial life, alien life, cosmic intelligences; any kind of story in which there is a non-human attempting to connect to humanity (or a specific individual) by accessing their feelings, learning about feeling by encountering it for the first time, anything like that. Fundamentally Other, and strange, and not all completely aware of its own capabilities. But one intensely interested and caring about the human experience and the destinies we can take each other to — the limits of the universe and the depths of existence.

I feel like my Ti processing acts as a CPU that's always running in the background, lines and lines of code abstractly processing, filing and breaking down details of systems that I can access when I need it to think logically but largely can leave to its own devices.

Most of the time, I think I project a warm but somewhat distant or hard-to-reach persona. But when I get emotionally surprised, physically overexhausted or very stressed I can shut down into that robot mode, coldly calculating how to "blend in" with other people to try to camouflage how exposed I have become.

Personality metaphysics aside, aren't we all really ghosts inside a machine made of flesh and bone anyway? Maybe all this talk about feeling disconnected from humanity has more to do growing up surrounded by a household full of guardhouse sensors. :huh:

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
What is your full credit card info?

Affably Evil

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Here's a question: have you ever regretted doorslamming somebody?

ItsAGuy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This is pretty funny, because I was just telling a friend the other day that I feel like a robot with Feeling modded on. Albeit a robot from the future, who cares about the destiny of the human race and wants to help everyone reach nirvana. :cry:

There you go; humanity's headlong rush into self-destruction haunts me; moreso because it all could have been avoided by a persistent low-yield easy-to-bear trend of mass responsibility. I often DONT feel human because I can't relate to how the rest of humanity behaves. I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong, and I don't typically dislike humanity... but I'm often frustrated or, at the very least, mystified by it.

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx

Yes I have... This summer I have doorslammed all of my friends, except for one. But I think I'm regretting the expense I've put myself at, not as much for my friends though. So I guess I'm just selfish. And I don't think most of them deserved it, at least not to the extreem I put them through.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Sort of.... the only time I really doorslammed someone, it was because I felt like they were starting to become creepy and stalkerish.

The first time, it was this Tongolese refugee I met at a French conversation group. I gave him my phone number because he didn't really have any friends in the US and he was a really nice person. (I was dating someone at the time and was not interested in a relationship with this guy, and he knew that. I don't think he was really interested in me that way, either - that was never the idea.) But, as friends, we had coffee a couple of times, and then he wanted to make me a Tongolese dinner at his apartment. So I went, and he gave me a framed copy of this picture he'd taken of me... which seemed a little weird, and then after that he wanted to hang out and/or talk on the phone like all the time. It was waaayyyy too much for my I, and I didn't know how to deal with it, so I just stopped answering my phone. Shortly after that, I moved, and got a new phone number (not because of him, just coincidentally), so he went away. I felt kind of bad about it because I really believe in welcoming new immigrants to the US, but he really just got too clingy and creepy for me. I should have handled it better, and just told him how I felt, but to be honest I'm not sure he would have understood.

But...this was about 5 years ago. Recently, he sent me a couple of friend requests on Facebook... I ignored them... my name has even changed since I knew him! I know I come up in search results under my old name and my new name, because I wanted old friends to be able to find me, but we didnt know each other THAT well... so it still makes me totally uncomfortable.

The other time was a guy I met while I was dating someone else. Again I told him I just wanted to be friends, and he said he was okay with that, although I know he was romantically interested. One time he invited me to hang out at a bar with him and his friends, and I went. I got a little drunk and he insisted on driving me home, which was nice, but then he grabbed me and kissed me before I got out of the car! NOT okay. After that he kept calling me at strange hours of the night, and I told him several times the he needed to stop doing that, that I was dating someone, and he kept saying, "I know, I know." But he kept doing it and eventually I had to just stop answering my phone. I feel a bit bad about this one, because I do wish we could have been friends, but I did my best to be straight with him, and he wouldn't give up on it, so I don't feel like I really had a choice.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
What is the difference between you and NFPs ? (question for all INFJs)

I know the theory. I am more interested in how this works in reality.

Fenekk

MBTI Type
INFJ

Weirdly, it is very easy for me to cut people off, but ...at the same time, I do often regret doing it at some point. It keeps coming back to mind and I have to re-convince myself that it was the right thing to do or what I really needed to do. But have I honestly thought that I should have NOT done it? I don't think so. I feel like I am a lenient person, so if they have gotten me to that point then there is probably no reason for me to feel guilty about it (even though occasionally I do).

Then again, what exactly do you mean by doorslamming? Do you mean just cutting people off, or do you mean like, having a major argument in the process of doing so? Because I don't do that. If I cut someone off, they usually don't know that I am doing anything more than making some space. I won't say anything about it most of the time. I guess my doors don't slam then, haha.

There you go; humanity's headlong rush into self-destruction haunts me; moreso because it all could have been avoided by a persistent low-yield easy-to-bear trend of mass responsibility. I often DONT feel human because I can't relate to how the rest of humanity behaves. I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong, and I don't typically dislike humanity... but I'm often frustrated or, at the very least, mystified by it.

You know, I feel this way too. Humanity just confuses me. I'll get cynical and hate it, and I'll laugh at it but more than anything else it just... perplexes me. So many problems could be solved by eliminating a few certain destructive behaviors. Get rid of greed, add in more responsibility. Try to see all sides of situations, instead of just your opinion. Make compromises. I know that for some of us (me included) it's difficult, but having an open mind is so important. Not to mention, we all have different strengths and weaknesses, and we need to support and understand each other - something that doesn't go on nearly as much as it should in the world.

What is the difference between you and NFPs ? (question for all INFJs)

I know the theory. I am more interested in how this works in reality.

Okay, let me try this from the perspective of two of my close friends being INFP, one male and one female.

1. They ask you questions about everything, often sensory-based details (probably knowing that you usually don't know the answer... don't they pay attention themselves? Anyway, my visual/spatial/verbal learning ability is high, so maybe they expect that I am going to see/read things they miss - though they almost always have a better memory for them than I do).
2. They want you to help them. A lot. Especially with things I have a hard time relating to, for some reason. (And I do. Because I'm INFJ, lol. Unless they are persistent for days at a time, in which case sometimes I am just like "okay, that's enough.")
3. I'm very independent. Both of my INFP friends are very dependent (It's not MBTI-related but I thought I'd say so).
4. Not as spiritual.
5. They get really fired up about certain things and argue more easily, but usually cool down easily as well.
6. They change interests all the time, and always want to learn new things. (I think they are more into the excitement of starting things. I am too, but I finish them more often, or continue to develop my knowledge.)
7. They procrastinate more. (Again, I procrastinate too. But they procrastinate more and longer...)
8. When they complain about things, it seems whinier than normal - not sure how, but I feel like I'm being whined to a lot of the time.
9. They can remember specific things like dates, names, numbers, what exactly happened when, etc. a lot better. (I remember concepts better.)
10. They beat around the bush.
11. They seem to have to have every little bit of information before they can make a decision or evaluation. (I tend to make my decisions/evaluations based on the information I have, then, if I get more information, I alter them to incorporate that information. I am often satisfied with just some information.)
12. They get hooked on talking about something they like and it's really hard to stop them. (I can get talking about things I like pretty easily too, but I think I am more aware of when it is too much than they are.)

Hope that helps.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What kind of phobias would you as an INFJ have (that you think is silly, but yet you have it)?

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This thread was abandoned by the OP.